Featured Thread
Vegas did make great drag cars. Here are a couple of examples...

images.jpeg
bill-grumpy-jenkins-grumpys-toy-1972-vega-howard-koby.jpg

My first car was a 47 Studebaker Commander. Paid $30.00 for it. Took out first gear, reverse and second. Drove it for another 1100 miles trying to find a tranny. Sold it to Canadian Junk for 10 dollars and took off the plate and took out the battery and went home. Have many stories about that car. It had an external oil pump. The Screws would come loose and it would leak out all the oil. I would notice there was no oil pressure and drive to the nearest Service station, tighten the allen screws pour in a gallon of oil and continue on..The only car I ever owned that was older than me.

My first car was a 1953 Vauxhall Velox that I bought after graduation from high school. I bought it from another student that I was attending tech school pre-apprenticeship program with in 1966. That car was my transition from transit to driving myself.

My second car was a brand new VW Beetle that I bought in 1967.

My third car was my first high performance car a 1969 Cougar XR-7 CJ428 that I drove as a daily driver for 14 years before I sold it to an apprentice working with me and bought a family station wagon.

Through the 1970's I was part of a group of young guys working in a good paying industry taking advantage of provincial economic and industrial expansion and development. Guys I was working with drove an AMC Javelin, Hemi Dodge Charger, Mustang, Cleveland powered Ranchero and one even drove a 1970 454 powered C3 Corvette that I had a ride in at 160 MPH. Oh for the good old days!

After that it was a series mini vans and economy commuter cars until the Corvette came into my life in 2016 re-sparking that desire to drive a performance car.

Here is what the XR-7 looked like only mine was dark Ivy green with white pin stripes and the faux black vinyl top.
View attachment 34776
Your picture brings back memories of my first car, a 1968 Cougar XR7. Just like this one.
74EC9C55-9225-46E0-A7E9-A4C66BAAC995.jpeg

Reactions: nascar03 and Icecap
First car was a 1968 Cougar with a 3 speed standard on the floor. it came with a 302. What I remember most about this car was that the engine fit was so tight that to change the # 3 spark plug you either had to lift the engine or cut a hole through the fender well , which is what I did.
My second car was a 1970 roadrunner that I keep for 30 years and sold for my first boat. It was fully documented and all orginal except for the headers.
Should never of sold it . Wife was not comfortable with not many safety items in it . To buy that car back now is between $60 & 80 K.
I am sure a lot of us have these kind of stories.

Charlie
So true. As they say if we only knew back then what we know now we would have kept every car. But back then things were tight and you needed the last car as a down payment on the next car.

My first car was a 47 Studebaker Commander. Paid $30.00 for it. Took out first gear, reverse and second. Drove it for another 1100 miles trying to find a tranny. Sold it to Canadian Junk for 10 dollars and took off the plate and took out the battery and went home. Have many stories about that car. It had an external oil pump. The Screws would come loose and it would leak out all the oil. I would notice there was no oil pressure and drive to the nearest Service station, tighten the allen screws pour in a gallon of oil and continue on..The only car I ever owned that was older than me.
So when you pulled into Agassis station you would say fill up the oil and check the gas? We probably all had our share of disasters and money pits in our lives. Wives excluded of course. LOL.

Reactions: Icecap and BDK
Hi , my 1st car was a 64 chevelle blue , 283 stock . Stripped it down fixed the bad area repaired it sold it when it had a bout 280 miles on it some guy wanted it for racing the motor .

Reactions: kerry4
As described in my signature block, first car was a 1957 Standard Vanguard - same company as Triumph autocars. Purchased it in 1965 and it lasted 18 months in my hands. I was late to driving and my dad told me not to buy that piece of crap - he was from Scotland and did not trust British cars of any marque. He was right but fortunately he was also a machinist by trade and a great amateur mechanic. I learned a lot from him over the 18 months. When I came home with a 1965 Beetle he said it was the best decision I ever made up to that point in my life - and I had made many bad ones! Still to this day, I have very good memories of the experiences I had in that car as a young man.

4historypic9.jpg

As described in my signature block, first car was a 1957 Standard Vanguard - same company as Triumph autocars. Purchased it in 1965 and it lasted 18 months in my hands. I was late to driving and my dad told me not to buy that piece of crap - he was from Scotland and did not trust British cars of any marque. He was right but fortunately he was also a machinist by trade and a great amateur mechanic. I learned a lot from him over the 18 months. When I came home with a 1965 Beetle he said it was the best decision I ever made up to that point in my life - and I had made many bad ones! Still to this day, I have very good memories of the experiences I had in that car as a young man.

View attachment 34808
We have watched Outlander on Netflix. I can see why your dad didn't like the British. I have Scottish background myself. My wife is big into Ancestry and apparently I am related to Robert the Bruce. He had a big problem with the Brits. LOL.

Hi , my 1st car was a 64 chevelle blue , 283 stock . Stripped it down fixed the bad area repaired it sold it when it had a bout 280 miles on it some guy wanted it for racing the motor .
I had a 1970 Cuda that I ordered from the factory , I worked for Chrysler back then wish I had that car today .

First car?
Before my first car I was driving my dad’s ‘65 Olds Starfire, 425 Cu in, 375 HP. Luxury Fun!
B64F8C52-C08C-4397-858A-77A89B088B3E.jpeg

At 16-17 that was a handful of car so my dad took me out and found me a ‘67 Datsun PL411....!
That car made me look for my 2nd car pretty quick! 6 months later in 1971 I found a 1970 Chevelle mags, big tires, big stripes. Traded in the Datsun and enjoyed the Chevelle for many years.
134794BF-1C4D-4F0F-8151-AAD8E94A325C.jpeg
48303004-61FB-488E-90F2-C4978D46CAEC.jpeg

Still kept it even after getting married, having a youngin’ and buying my first house In 1974.
I kept it until ‘75 when I factory ordered a ‘76 Olds 442, black , swivel buckets, 350 Cu in.
Quite similar to @Tourmax ‘s car in his photo. My son, born in ‘77, eventually got the Olds in 1994 and drove it until he finally parted it out after 265,000 miles. Great car.
The first Corvette, 1975 Coupe, came along in 1982 as a required second car in the family.
my wife or I took it to work when needed.. even snow tires in the winter for the first few years.
After that it became a Autocross car and garage queen and still have it now.
We have put 120, 000 miles on that car in the 37 years of ownership!
The second Corvette, 2003 Convert, was bought in 2014 after we retired and now used as a long distance cruiser.

thanx for looking
graham

First car?
Before my first car I was driving my dad’s ‘65 Olds Starfire, 425 Cu in, 375 HP. Luxury Fun!
View attachment 34826
At 16-17 that was a handful of car so my dad took me out and found me a ‘67 Datsun PL411....!
That car made me look for my 2nd car pretty quick! 6 months later in 1971 I found a 1970 Chevelle mags, big tires, big stripes. Traded in the Datsun and enjoyed the Chevelle for many years.
View attachment 34824View attachment 34825
Still kept it even after getting married, having a youngin’ and buying my first house In 1974.
I kept it until ‘75 when I factory ordered a ‘76 Olds 442, black , swivel buckets, 350 Cu in.
Quite similar to @Tourmax ‘s car in his photo. My son, born in ‘77, eventually got the Olds in 1994 and drove it until he finally parted it out after 265,000 miles. Great car.
The first Corvette, 1975 Coupe, came along in 1982 as a required second car in the family.
my wife or I took it to work when needed.. even snow tires in the winter for the first few years.
The second Corvette, 2003 Convert, was bought in 2014 after we retired and now used as a long distance cruiser.

thanx for looking
graham

My dad used to have I think it was a 1968 Dynamic 88 Olds. Was white. Great car. Wish we had taken more pictures back then.

Reactions: nascar03
First car?
View attachment 34826
View attachment 34824View attachment 34825

thanx for looking
graham
I was suddenly taken by the picture of your dads Oldsmobile Starfire. My uncle had one almost identical to this one except that it was a convertible. I fell in love with that car.

Attachments

• 1962Starfiresunsetmist.jpg
    1962Starfiresunsetmist.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 19
First car was this 1961 Austin Mini (850cc).
Began my love of "real" Minis. This poor thing suffered numerous car rallies and general daily abuse until rust and my mechanical and monetary shortcomings terminated it.
I do have a rough 1980 Mini which will hopefully become a bit of a facsimile of a factory rally car from the '60s.

David and Lorne Hull off to check the route. WHCI Car Rally 1967.jpg

First car...1963 Chevrolet Impala Wagon, Second...1971 Datsun 510 2-door(slowly rebuilt from at least 6 other donor cars), Third... 1962 Chevrolet Impala SS 327 4 speed , then a 1964 Rambler 4 door V-8, excellent vehicle, followed by a 2-door Rambler of the the same year(but 6 cyl.) 1981 Malibu 4 door V-6(required because first child was on the way), a 1985 Hyundai Stellar(what a piece of junk, and my FIRST NEW car) a 1986 Corolla, a 1990 Corolla, a 1992 Focus Wagon(company car) and a string of other common vehicles along the way. The beloved 62 Impala resided in my garage for a number of years, as life got in the way of it's restoration. It eventually was sold off, engine and tranny separately, and then the car itself. About six years later this car suddenly became hot, and the prices took off towards the sky. I wish I still had it today! Actually had nothing for years as a hobby car until I picked up my 86 Vette recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
First car was a 1968 Cougar with a 3 speed standard on the floor. it came with a 302. What I remember most about this car was that the engine fit was so tight that to change the # 3 spark plug you either had to lift the engine or cut a hole through the fender well , which is what I did.
My second car was a 1970 roadrunner that I keep for 30 years and sold for my first boat. It was fully documented and all orginal except for the headers.
Should never of sold it . Wife was not comfortable with not many safety items in it . To buy that car back now is between $60 & 80 K.
I am sure a lot of us have these kind of stories.

Charlie

I've often felt the same way especially since I saw one almost identical to mine except for the colour sold in a Barret-Jackson Auction. That car had a complete rotisserie restoration and sold at the Barrett-Jackson Auction for $168,000 a couple of years ago. With nearly a decade and a half of interior BC winters and road salt mine was no longer a practical restoration candidate when I finally parted with it.

Reactions: kerry4
I've often felt the same way especially since I saw one almost identical to mine except for the colour sold in a Barret-Jackson Auction. That car had a complete rotisserie restoration and sold at the Barrett-Jackson Auction for $168,000 a couple of years ago. With nearly a decade and a half of interior BC winters and road salt mine was no longer a practical restoration candidate when I finally parted with it.
I feel the same way about cars I let go to cheap. My 1971 340 Dodge Demon was a fast car. I had sunk money into performance stuff but other things were breaking so I let it go for $900.00 Paid $2500.00 for it. Last year at a car show I saw one exactly like it and the guy was selling it. He was asking $60,000.00 for it. :-(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.