Featured Thread
@SN-III, Spence your comment reminds me of a time early on in owning the corvette that a Tuner style car pulled up beside me at a stop light in Red Deer. He revved his engine so I did as well. Joanne asked me if i was serious as we kept going back and forth with the revs. when the light turned the car did a few front wheel drive sqauks as we pulled away slowly. Joanne was laughing saying I baited him. Always fun you get attention.

Worked in an autobody paint shop for a few years after high school. Always liked working on cars but didn't think it was a healthy environment back then. Computers were starting to become popular so I went back to school and graduated as an electronics technologist in 1979. I worked as a test technician for a little while but my ability to debug issues got me a position in R&D within a year. Been in R&D ever since and have had the opportunity to design and build many networking and data communications products since then. Been thinking about retiring but I like the job so may stick with it for another year or two.

I worked for the Manitoba Telephone System for 36.5 years. Started out climbing poles. That is not a good time in the winter. So I worked my way inside where I worked on mechanical switching systems, microwave radio systems, digital switching systems, digital transport systems and fiber optic transmission systems. Spent all my spare money on toys. Snowmobiles, muscle cars, handguns, quads, but mostly motorcycles. After 40 years of that, my body said I had to find something else to roar down the road with. Sold my last Harley and got the Vette. Had a C2 way back when I really couldn't afford it, always wanted another one. Love the retired life. Always something to do in the shop, oil changes and stuff, or welding. Can't have too many tools. We don't get to the handgun range as often as we did when we all worked. Back in '71 when I had the '67 427 Vette, I had a few guys pull up at a light, read the 427 on the hood and want to go. My driver's licence was hanging by a thread as it was. I didn't need this temptation. A friend told me this when a 390 Ford Galaxy was revving beside me at a light one day. "You have nothing to prove to that punk. If he wants to go back to the bar and tell everyone he smoked a 427 Vette, let him go. Who's gonna believe him anyway." I never forgot that. It has kept me out of a lot of streets races.

I spent 12 years working for a school district, first managing the school bus system, then taking on maintenance as well as operations manager. Upper management had the bright idea that someone with an engineering background (nothing against anyone in the field) would enable them to get more maintenance dollars from the government, so I got the boots, but not before they asked me to train my replacement...Hell NO!..The guy lasted 3 months and quit, and he was only taking care of half the duties I did (that backfired on them..LOL). Went to work at an insurance company for 10 years as an inspector/risk assessor. For the last 8 years I have been in the carpentry field. So far so good ... as soon as the lotto bunch pick the right numbers to match the ones on my ticket...i'll retire...that may be a while.

Got the Vette 2 years ago and love it, cant wait to get back in the seat.

Spent 35 and 1/2 years in Corrections. Started as a corrections Officer and retired 15 years ago as a manager. Have always had a love for cars..Got my first Corvette in 2016 and traded up to my C7 last spring...When I retired I started my own business to keep me busy , but don't know how much longer that will last. I enjoy Driving and golfing so much I don't have much time for working..

Spent 35 and 1/2 years in Corrections. Started as a corrections Officer and retired 15 years ago as a manager. Have always had a love for cars..Got my first Corvette in 2016 and traded up to my C7 last spring...When I retired I started my own business to keep me busy , but don't know how much longer that will last. I enjoy Driving and golfing so much I don't have much time for working..

That is one job I could never handle to have the constant fear someone coming for revenge at my own home. It takes nerves of steel.

Reactions: nascar03 and Icecap
My Dad owned a used Car Dealership and Auto Parts Store. Worked with him until I was 21, those were awesome days as I got to drive many British Cars which I absolutely loved, I also graduated as a Certified Accountant at the same age and Immigrated to Canada just after that in the early 80's.
Typical story of credentials not being recognized in North America so I started working at a fabrication Factory. Through a combination of hard work, luck and being in the right place at the right time, I quickly worked my way up and realized my love and passion for Fabrication was much greater than Accounting so I never looked back.
Fast forward 35 years, I still work for the same Owner in the various Businesses they own and is part of Senior Management, I consider myself extraordinarily fortunate to be part of the Company and even though I work an immense number of hours under stressful conditions it is rewarding to be recognized and rewarded.
I also consider myself lucky to have immigrated here and forge my own life despite the early setback. Canada is my home and I truly love it, regardless of where I go for Vacations, there is no place that I rather be than here.
Cars and modifying them have always been a passion for me and I am fortunate that I had the opportunity to experience driving a wide range of models. As for the Vette, I have only driven it 3 times before I had to park it for the Winter, definitely looking forward to Summer :) .
I also have no intentions of retiring anytime soon.

I work on the fire department (just was promoted to Lieutenant) I worked very hard over the ast few years picking up as much overtime as I could as now that I have a promotion my new rank barely gets any overtime. So I guess I will have more summer time to enjoy my C8 (well once I get my allotment picked up hahahah)

This has always been a bit of a dream to own a real sports car. I currently own an 03 Infinity G35 180 K and a 2003 Volvo S60 160K both bought used, and I put about 5K on each of them each driving season I have them out. These were my step up to a nice ride after I had a Ford Exploder XLT.

The way I can actually affored to get this present to myself is that my mortgage is coming up for renewal and I have the equity built up that I can afford this toy. Being single I do not have to worry about people for some reason wanting money left to them....blah blah blah....and after I am dead I DGAF what institution I owe $$ to. 'Leave a message with St. Peter I'll get back to you...NOT I'm Dead!!!!!

Currently working as a Moderator for the CCF. Not a bad job, six figure salary, company car and expense account. Hours are long but rewarding.

Prior to my current position I wrote fairy tale books. :Biggrin:

When I started Murray I had a choice between the car and a company boat. Since I already had too many cars, I took the boat. Lots of fun and it turns heads like the Vette too.

CCF Cruiser.JPG

Worked in the Material Handling business as National Sales Manager for an American company manufacturing and selling industrial batteries and battery chargers. Loved the job and the technology, poor health forced me out early. Still stay in contact with many of my customers across the country. Miss them a lot.

This is a wonderful thread. We know now who to hit up for a loan when things get tough!! :Biggrin:

Sorry late to the party... got stuck in Kaula Lumpur, Malaysia the last few days in meetings. Just got home tonight.
Been in upstream oil and gas production for 30 years. Bounced around in Alberta and BC for a bunch of years and found myself offshore in Brazil one morning. Travelled and worked all over the world since. Still working offshore as I love the 6 months a year off. Now managing a very interesting sour gas processing ship in Indonesia.
I live in Thailand now and visit my Corvette pals in the summer. Corvette and Hummer are tucked away in Edmonton and checked on now and then by my buddy Spence. Couldn't bring myself to sell either of them.
Looking forward to seeing some of you in July when I'm back in Canada for some much needed seat time in the Z06. :canada:

2C52154E-431A-4081-9100-6EA581F3A432_1_105_c.jpeg
FE7A353C-4611-44CC-ACF4-46887F3583C4_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Watching the stupidity on Youtube should be mandatory so you always have that image in your head "What if?" Yes, stay humble and enjoy what you have and how you got there!

Hey Hey Hey, Youtube is not all bad LOL :) For me, I am a licensed mechanic, worked at a variety of shops including Canadian Tire and then settled into a GM dealership. Loved the work, but could see faults in the industry, flat rate, glass ceiling, the health conditions were not good for workers, who knows how much crap I breathed in back then......I wanted to leave before I became a journeyman, but decided to get my licence. That was in the 90's. Got that, and then quit and went university and got a government job. Have done well, but I am a true automotive enthusiast, probably because when I was a kid I loved tinkering with cars.

Now I have a Youtube channel, but I'm not monetized so I earn Zip, 0, nothing from that, but I really enjoy it. For anyone that is interested in YouTube, you need 1000 subscribers and 18400 watch min per month to get monetized. I get about almost 40000 watch min per month, but I'm way short on subscribers, I find people watch, get what they need and move on, so at this point its just a hobby for me. I'm nearing retirement so maybe in 5 years I can devote more effort and make it a second income and have weekly corvette vlogs or something hahaha.

Very interesting thread..... When in my late teens and early 20's I had no clue as to what I wanted to do. After trying out a few different jobs I came to a decision that I preferred to work indoors as opposed to outdoors. There was an ad in the paper that stated.... wanted, management trainees to work in financial industry. I put on a suit, went for the interview and got the job. And to that companies credit, they had one hell of a training program. Long story short....... I worked hard, got my degrees, and was with my last employer for 25 1/2 years and at 55 I retired as AVP, that was 7yrs ago. In hind sight, I think 55 was a bit too young to retire. No regrets as Im always busy, but, if I were to do it all over again, I think I would have stayed for another 3 to 5 years.

I have never really had to work for a living, as I rely on my fathers money, who relied on his fathers money. I “work“ for him now at a token government position he gave me, even though I have no idea what I am doing. He can do that type of nepotism without consequence, as he has a very powerful position in government south of the border. Currently, he has been in a bit of a battle just for getting a foreign country to help dig up dirt on a guy that wants to take his job. I don’t see what the big deal is...sheesh. If it’s not one thing, it’s another. He also has hired my sister and her husband in government positions, and guess what....they don’t really know what they are doing either. Ahh, the life of privilege... It’s great. Speaking of my sister, Dad thinks she is HOT, and I must agree. He was actually recorded saying that if she wasn’t his daughter, he would date her. Don’t let that stop you, dad..
He has fooled the citizens there that he is a great leader, even though time after time after time, evidence suggests otherwise. Anyway, I digress. Love the thread, Tango.
Donald Jr.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.