It appears that GM has the computer running interference on horsepower until these engines get some miles on them. We may have to wait until these cars get broken in before we see the full potential. I'm sure that the Dasilva shop can work around it if all else fails. Lull the Vipers into a false sense of security. ;)

I hate comparisons like this as so many gear heads consider speed alone. In fact, this seems to be the tale of the tape with the Z06 as a whole. The problem with this is that critics seem to be wearing horse tacks which prevents them from seeing much of the picture. The fact alone that this car comes out with the choice of manual/auto sets it apart, just as much as the choice of it being a vert or Coupe. To then add Z07 components as yet another option makes it a product release we have never seen prior I don't think from any other car (I believe). Add to that the multiple configuration options, for the exterior and interior, warranty and price and...well I hate to say it but this car is truly untouchable.

Myself, I will always think of the Viper as being the lowest resale sports car in the industry and, being from an area chalk full of italians who love their Vipers, I still see those earlier models all over the Niagara Region. The Viper had to drop its price significantly as a result of Z06 pricing; this definitely says something of what that manufacturer thinks of its customers. Conversely, do you think GM could have easily put up the price point on this right away? There smartest move would have been releasing it at 89K US right off; there would have been exactly the same sales...but they never...

The ONLY thing GM has done wrong here is jump on the performance train and change their performance specs from the original lower specs. Take away all the marking. People don't even look at Porsches or Ferraris anymore because they are much the same as they have always been. The Corvette isn't. People gawk. Porsche and ferrari owners gawk. The C7 came out in 2014 but let me tell you, it earned celebrity status this year and things are looking pretty good. Just my opinion....

I hate comparisons like this as so many gear heads consider speed alone. In fact, this seems to be the tale of the tape with the Z06 as a whole. The problem with this is that critics seem to be wearing horse tacks which prevents them from seeing much of the picture. The fact alone that this car comes out with the choice of manual/auto sets it apart, just as much as the choice of it being a vert or Coupe. To then add Z07 components as yet another option makes it a product release we have never seen prior I don't think from any other car (I believe). Add to that the multiple configuration options, for the exterior and interior, warranty and price and...well I hate to say it but this car is truly untouchable.

Myself, I will always think of the Viper as being the lowest resale sports car in the industry and, being from an area chalk full of italians who love their Vipers, I still see those earlier models all over the Niagara Region. The Viper had to drop its price significantly as a result of Z06 pricing; this definitely says something of what that manufacturer thinks of its customers. Conversely, do you think GM could have easily put up the price point on this right away? There smartest move would have been releasing it at 89K US right off; there would have been exactly the same sales...but they never...

The ONLY thing GM has done wrong here is jump on the performance train and change their performance specs from the original lower specs. Take away all the marking. People don't even look at Porsches or Ferraris anymore because they are much the same as they have always been. The Corvette isn't. People gawk. Porsche and ferrari owners gawk. The C7 came out in 2014 but let me tell you, it earned celebrity status this year and things are looking pretty good. Just my opinion....

I can see Viper raising their prices back up since there will be guys dumping their slow C7 Z06 to get a Viper. GM overhyped the car and now they are have to pay the price. The car can't do more than a few laps at the race track before it slows down. Yes this is the "most capable track car ever". :D

I can see Viper raising their prices back up.

Hardly...Viper is another burnt out platform from Chrysler. They need to build a new generation that will be a direct competitor to Corvette. Imagine a Hellcat motor in a completely redesigned Viper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardly...Viper is another burnt out platform from Chrysler. They need to build a new generation that will be a direct competitor to Corvette. Imagine a Hellcat motor in a completely redesigned Viper.

Good point. I actually agree with you. I have a feeling they are working on it.

Well lets see they sell how many Vipers a year vs how many C7's? Viper is a piece of crap, far too expensive for what you get and really just how ugly of a car would want to drive? Geez they had to shut the plant down twice in 2014 because they couldn't sell a mere 50 Vipers a month. Kinda sad really, while the C7 has them waiting in line producing 180 a day.

What I cant' figure out is why they didn't put the Hell Cat engine in the Viper. If they can't out finesse the Corvette, perhaps they could put a little dent in Corvette sales with mega horsepower. Even cutting prices $15,000 hasn't done a lot for their sales the last time I checked. What the car companies need is REAL car people in charge of these performance divisions. In all my years in GM Oshawa, I only remember one person in management that was even remotely interested in performance cars.

The c7 is designed as a sports car from the ground up. The hellcat is a muscle car, big engine, some suspension and tranny work but it doesn't have the finesse and complete characteristics of a sports car. I don't think the comparison is apples to apples. There will always be a car that is faster or better in some way. I think vette owners love their cars despite whatever shortcomings the car has. The c7 is an awesome car. It looks great, handles superbly, it's faster then 99% of the cars out there and is a great buy for the money. If someone wants a hellcat or a viper that's ok. I'll take my vette any day. :coolgleam::seeya::D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.