Jan 30, 2017
ingersoll ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2017 corvette 3LT
Hey Guys,
So I had the vibration issue last year around the 2000 RPM range that they told me was the prop shaft after 7 visits. So we decided to do it at the start of the season this year so I had it replaced in April of this year. It was a know issue and they were pretty tight lipped at GM and the dealership advised me to wait till this spring to get it done. They thought that they might have a fix by then..... So after having it replaced the vibration was still there and I had it in last Friday because it was constant at the 2000 rpm range. This time they told me that the bearing had gone in the prop shaft and ordered the new shaft(no 2) and would be in this week. I picked up the car for the weekend and got it home and noticed it was slow to start at the dealership when I got it. I think it was odd so I continued home and noticed a little squeal as well on the trip home. I washed the car and fired it up in the driveway and it barely started and was squealing bad now. I assumed it was a bearing or belt issue so I had my wife follow me back to Woodstock to the GM dealership and leave it there. I was stopped at a light and the car just shut down. Tried to start it and it barely turned over and smoke was coming from the hood and I could smell rubber burning. Get it towed and was told the bearing seized in the shaft. After they take it apart the bearing is not seized so out comes the engine and the thrust bearing is crushed and moved an inch into the block. Brand new motor on order...… It also pushed the bearing in the prop shaft back and inch as well and bent the gearbox side as well. Here are a few pics..... Dam it looks ugly naked.. I have had this issue since day one... Pay attention to your cars guys

Attachments

• IMG_2554.JPG
    IMG_2554.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2552.JPG
    IMG_2552.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2550.JPG
    IMG_2550.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 78
So my last three GM cars in the last three years have had at least 50 thousand worth of warranty work done on them.The corvette, 2017 equinox and 2013 Terrain and I can honestly tell you guys I have spent at least 600 thousand on GM in the last 30 years and I am done with Gm. Both of these pieces of crap will be gone in the spring and never deal with them again and I still think it's the nicest looking sports car out there but it has a GM label on it. I can't continue to buy lemons from these jokers. Since the government bail out they still have not learned their lesson and don't know how to treat a customer and have too many backroom secrets with the old boys club.. Sorry for the rant guys I will stick with the Honda brand for all of our cars from now on. Cheers

• Sad
Reactions: ddgermann
Your frustration is certainly warranted Mike. I would be savagely POed going through what you have and are with your Corvette. (Let alone the other cars...wow)
I gather a huge portion of the disappointment and dissatisfaction stems from the way the dealership and GM in general handled you as a loyal customer in getting to the bottom of this and working hard to solve things quickly and thoroughly.

I remember being totally furious with my dealership and GM when there was a delivery problem with my last car. I went in to cancel the purchase and take my money back and drove away in a brand new “loaner” corvette at 0 cost and a full tank of gas. Not the same but I suspect if that would have happened to you, your belief in the commitment to you as a loyal and important customer would have been raised substantially.
Truly sad to see you as a fellow Corvette family member brought to this decision but fully respect you for your decision.
Plus you can’t go wrong getting a Honda. They are great vehicles.

All the best.

D

Reactions: ccltj
Not to change your mind ... I’m curious if these service issues have the same dealership in common ….
Work needed to be done following work being completed is not acceptable and something a shop foreman needs challenging to explain.
Appears a "known issue" has become a "we don't have a clue". Your reaction toward GM is understandable with so many visits to the dealership.

Last edited:
My wife's cars and our sports cars have always been GM. My winter beater is a 2017 Accord V6 touring and my fourth one in a row. I never once had an issue and the London Honda Guys treat me great every time I'm there. I wish I could say the same about GM and I won't name the dealership out of respect for the service department that are a great bunch of guys and gals but I don't want to be a frequent flyer to the service department at I would say it at least 50 trips on three cars. The CCT customer care team does not have the ability to do anything. I am by far not a rich man and work hard to be able to afford these cars and toys every few years and am very grateful for what I have. To be treated like this is an insult.

Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
Really hoping the great bunch of guys and gals in this service department send you away
100% completely satisfied with this warranty repair. For your sake and also it is actually
in their best interest that they won't see you in regard to it again …. and for the right reason
as I have had to find out in my past that there are other dealerships that do warranty repair too.
Someone in Dealer Management should take it upon themselves to go up to bat for you with
the "hidden" Area GM Representative ... with a known issue that has had dominoes fall this way ...
you are deserving of that respect. This because, if/when a customer tries to do it, it can feel like
one is just being seen as a pain in the a$$ - something rather similar and no truer than when one
deals with most new home warranty issues and pretty much anything needing a remedy at many
financial institutions these days.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.