Elf

Power User
Feb 28, 2011
North of Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2008m vert
TV adds are pushing snow tires .TV reporters are interviewing tire shop/experts .One line keeps popping up is that snow tires are mandatory in Canada .And all season tires are not exceptionable.:confused:

False;
Yes in a few providences snow tires are mandatory; but not here in Ontario.
Some of the western providence still allow studded tires, but this also not in Ontario.
All season tires are still used a lot here in Ontario. Winter tires are getting more popular. And after this winter I think even more so.

Thank ya Brian ,leave it to the media to screw things up .Now are you saying studded tires are not allowed in some areas?

Here's abetter link for tire requirements in Canada Steve:

Getting to know snow tire laws in your province

Turns out the only province that makes it mandatory for winter tires is Quebec.

Studded tire requirements is also explained.

Colin

False, I agree with Brian, if you are an old retired guy like him that has slow reaction time then snow tires all way around would likely help but most of us old codgers are retired and don't have to travel in bad weather so all weathers are likely ok here in the south. :D

True winter snow tires have a rubber that stays soft in cold weather like what we've been having. They don't last if driven in the summer. All season tires are sort of a medium rubber and Summer tires would be too hard for good winter traction. I've found from my experience, that if you are in any amount of snow, you want the big, knobby winter snow tires. They do make a difference. And no, I am not a tire dealer.

Last edited:
I only have one vehicle with studded snow tires and thats my Ford Fiesta .The rest including the Corvette have all season .

Thanks for the like Colin .

Never trust the American press everything has an agenda .

I only have one vehicle with studded snow tires and thats my Ford Fiesta .The rest including the Corvette have all season .

Thanks for the link Colin .

Never trust the American press everything has an agenda .

I think their intent was to emphasize that snows in most areas of Canada are best. I believe that to be true but here in southern Ontario we get away without them until we get a hard winter like this one which makes driving very dangerous for those cheaping out (like me):D -- altho my 4WD SHO is pretty good in the snow.

For your trip here next summer Steve, you will probably be fine with summer or all season tires.......I say probably because we're not sure when this crap winter will end.....:D

C.

Cheers,
Colin.

For your trip here next summer Steve, you will probably be fine with summer or all season tires.......I say probably because we're not sure when this crap winter will end.....:D

C.

Cheers,
Colin.
Great I was concerned because I don't have tire chains :rofl:Plus I didn't want to bring a Mexican Ford to a Corvette gathering .

Great I was concerned because I don't have tire chains :rofl:Plus I didn't want to bring a Mexican Ford to a Corvette gathering .

LOL your "Mexican Ford" would be most welcome -- no worries Steve...

How is that little Fiesta on long distances anyway. I never did get the chance to try ours on a long trip.

She and it are long gone now. :D

C.

LOL your "Mexican Ford" would be most welcome -- no worries Steve...

How is that little Fiesta on long distances anyway. I never did get the chance to try ours on a long trip.

She and it are long gone now. :D

C.
Actually it little bugger gets driven about 40,000 miles per year .I get a new one each year ,it's an arrangement I have with the dealer .It's been to Florida twice ,Washington DC twice .The 2013 gets a little better gas mileage around 42 mpg .I have no complaints but big trucks like tundas scare the crap out of her.:D On long trip ya can actually take in the motel room at night .

When I do my Canadian trip it'll be via Corvette :seeya:

Actually it little bugger gets driven about 40,000 miles per year .I get a new one each year ,it's an arrangement I have with the dealer .It's been to Florida twice ,Washington DC twice .The 2013 gets a little better gas mileage around 42 mpg .I have no complaints but big trucks like tundas scare the crap out of her.:D On long trip ya can actually it take in the motel room at night .

When I do my Canadian trip it'll be via Corvette :seeya:

I thought you might bring the 'vette. That's good.

Sounds like the Fiesta is AOK on the highway......I can well imagine she's a little shaky around bigger rigs....:D

C.

My wife has to have snow tires on her escape .You see she is a teacher and when we get hit by a 24 inch snow storm they cancel school .Her first words "I'm going to the mall shopping" .(mall is 60 miles away) I don't mind as snow removal is the best in the county for main highways and roads :D

I have winter tires for both our daily drivers and they do make a big difference. I am definitely a fan. Not cheap though, especially if they are mounted on an extra set of rims. Your summer tires last a lot longer so over the long haul the extra cost isn't that great.

Very good links Colin!

I use Blizzaks on my truck and have run Michielin's X-ice II's. Two interesting.....well, not really that interesting observations.

Neither winter tire stops as well as I would have expected. I still get a lot of tire spin even being soft on the throttle. They also seem to skate on pure ice as much as the all-seasons that I've had (BFG All-Terrains). However, compared to Kumho KL71's that I used to run, I really had to be careful on slippery corners and the TSL's I used to have, they're were actually ok in the city but had no grip on the highway for some reason.

Point being, winter tires are much better than mud tires on ice and slippery stuff (obviously), but it seems people over exaggerate how wonderful they are stating the performance of their car equals that on dry pavement. If true, I want those tires!!!! But I haven't found them.

Editing to agree with the comment below about the winter tires being amazing on hard packed snow. That is very true!!

Last edited:
I've been running winter tires for about 15 years on various vehicles. I've had different brands but found the Blizzaks to be best. Winter tires do make a difference and I wish more people in Ontario would wake up and use them. Then maybe we wouldn't have to salt the roads so much as winter tires on hard packed snow are amazing. In that snot they create by dumping tons of salt after a snowfall they are good but not as incredible. I also find them better in the rain than all seasons. All seasons are a joke, no rubber compound and tread pattern can be perfect for every season. Why do you think race cars change tires based on the weather? And people that put winter tires on just the front of a FWD car are idiots or cheap skates or both. I've watched them try to go around corners or stop and have their rear end pass them. And no I don't sell tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.