:agree: You still have to obey the laws of physics and exercise caution and a light throttle. Snow tires just give you that bit extra.
Very good links Colin!

I use Blizzaks on my truck and have run Michielin's X-ice II's. Two interesting.....well, not really that interesting observations.

Neither winter tire stops as well as I would have expected. I still get a lot of tire spin even being soft on the throttle. They also seem to skate on pure ice as much as the all-seasons that I've had (BFG All-Terrains). However, compared to Kumho KL71's that I used to run, I really had to be careful on slippery corners and the TSL's I used to have, they're were actually ok in the city but had no grip on the highway for some reason.

Point being, winter tires are much better than mud tires on ice and slippery stuff (obviously), but it seems people over exaggerate how wonderful they are stating the performance of their car equals that on dry pavement. If true, I want those tires!!!! But I haven't found them.

Editing to agree with the comment below about the winter tires being amazing on hard packed snow. That is very true!!

I had a set of Blizzaks (sp?) on my Toyota Solara back in Saskatchewan. It was my first experience with modern snow tires. All the other years of hideous ice and snow were plowed through with just all seasons.

When I first got the Blizzaks, I didnt think it made much of a difference. They felt different while driving...sort of like driving on carpet.
Anyway, one day I had to take the car in for service and they gave me a loaner. It was a brand new Corolla with, of course, brand new all season tires.
Wow...then I realized how good the Blizzaks were! Directly going from those to all seasons was a huge difference. Tires spun out so easily. I slid all the time. Crazy.

Oh...my other funny tire story. I moved to Vancouver about 8 years ago. I bought a 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT.
One day, it actually snowed out here. No problem, I thought. I am a prairie boy that lived in the ice and snow. Well I just about crashed my car several times. I couldnt figure out why it was SO hard to drive. Then it struck me...these are NOT all season tires! These are performance summer tires! Aaaah! SO lucky that I didnt crash. I almost slid under a semi trailer on the highway.

I had to tell one of my idiot neighbours that her Z rated tires are not meant for snow which is why she has issues even getting up her laneway in a G35....she said "they are all seasons" to which I provided a printout of her brand and size explaining what Z rated means.

I put snows on all my vehicles. Both personal and business. I believe that they make a huge difference on both my service vans and sales vehicles given I don't always know how they are being driven by my employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:agree: You still have to obey the laws of physics and exercise caution and a light throttle. Snow tires just give you that bit extra.

I agree! In certain conditions, they make a huge difference and you have to still use your head. On pure ice, they make some difference but, not how the marketing nipples make it sound, at least in my experience..... but thinking about it further, they certainly don't make driving on ice and snow worse! They equal or improve on the performance of all-seasons.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.