Elf

Power User
Feb 28, 2011
North of Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2008m vert
I'm just getting to the point where I can talk about it .As some know I headed out for a months vacation in Orlando .I had a good time and all that ,nice place half naked young ladies etc. But as odd as it may seem a month was a little long and I had some business that needed to be attended to .I was ready to head north but I had a rear end issue on my C6 that I wanted to take care of .I found a great place on the west coast and for $80 I was good to go .

I'm all packed and ready to drive the 1500 miles when the weather report turned on me .Heavy storm /snow warnings for the Northeast b ut I needed to go .It was Friday the 8th and I was on my way .I drove to Fredricksburg Virginia where it was on the rain /snow line so I got a room and waited Massachusetts closed all roads ,highways and interstates .2-3 feet of snow was predicted . Connecticut was the next state to shut down all roads and I sat in my hotel room watching interstate web cams and getting highway reports .Then Massachusetts opened then Connecticut so I waited another six hours .Left the Hotel at 6 pm Friday ,I was 6 hours before I'd reach Connecticut and driving was good not much traffic and roads we;re clear.

Now the bad part , Connecticut had only one lane open ,no sand ,no salt just frozen pack of snow ice .Terrible ice pot holes ,washboard and very slippery but I creep along at a very slow speed thinking things would get better and I needed to get back for Monday morning .I was the lead vehicle with about five behind me ,speeds ranged from 5mph up to 35mph . Finally had to pull into a rest area or I'd pee my pamper .A jeep and a 4runner pulled in behind me and the drivers came up to me and we're amazed "how can a vett go on this stuff ?' "we had a hard time keeping up " Amazing" .etc etc .

Although I'd driven under snow conditions all my life I can tell ya my Michelin all season tires and traction control worked for me .A corvette will actually go very well under snow conditions ,better than I ever thought .

Got home in 14 hours ,there was no traffic at all and Connecticut was the only bad state .The car has never been this dirty even after two trips though a touchless car wash .Tomorrow it'll be up to 40 degrees and the hose will come out .

This weekend I'll try to post a photo and put up an avatar ,Thanks for listening .

Great story Elf -- I can only imagine the nerves after such intense driving and weather. Sounds like the 'vette performed well for you.
I didn't hear about the rear end work you had done. What was that all about?

Time to kick back and relax for a bit and recoup lost energies.:D

Daytona coming up.....oh yeah.....

C.

Yep no problem staying awake it was tense .I'll be washing and do an undercarriage cleaning to get rid of hidden salt and calcium chloride .Detailing may take several years .

Rear end issue :Ill do a separate thread :D

Got the bucket and hose out this afternoon and washed everything I could reach and or see .No damage at all as a matter of fact she looked pretty damn good .While she was down south I put four coats of paste Ice on here which certainly helped .Next step tomorrow is to take the wheels off in the shop and clean those wand wash her belly getting all that salt and calcium off . Both me and the car will sleep much better tonight .

We should have bugged you for before and after pics! Whenever I get my garage, I would like a pressure washer hooked to an instant hot water tank and a 4 post lift so EVERYTHING can get washed.

We should have bugged you for before and after pics! Whenever I get my garage, I would like a pressure washer hooked to an instant hot water tank and a 4 post lift so EVERYTHING can get washed.

I do have a photo or two after the trip that I'll try to post this weekend .And I think I'll have an after after photo by sunday .:D For some reason I can post on some forums but not others .

I didn't realize all season tires were that effective on a Vette - might look into this down the road
Yes and Michelin still has them ,the tread design is the same the compound is different .The speed rating is Y so you can drive 180 mph in a snow storm :D

I had two reasons for buy the all season ,In my area sometimes we get very cold weather but little or no snow .The pavement is rolled very tight so there is not a great deal of grip .Summer performance tires on cold smooth roads are like driving on black ice .

The second reason ,heaven forbid I'd ever get caught or have to drive in snow .:( I did)

The car went like a champ ,I was amazed But I have several more weeks of detailing and cleaning her wheels and belly .

Yes and Michelin still has them ,the tread design is the same the compound is different .The speed rating is Y so you can drive 180 mph in a snow storm :D

I had two reasons for buy the all season ,In my area sometimes we get very cold weather but little or no snow .The pavement is rolled very tight so there is not a great deal of grip .Summer performance tires on cold smooth roads are like driving on black ice .

The second reason ,heaven forbid I'd ever get caught or have to drive in snow .:( I did)

The car went like a champ ,I was amazed But I have several more weeks of detailing and cleaning her wheels and belly .

:canada: :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.