Apr 3, 2024
VetteCoins
Car
22’ C8 Corvette 2LT
Province
NB
I've been sniffing around having my C8 supercharged (or a Z06) and after getting all the details from Hennessy & Callaway ... The good ol Canadian Government is now in my way.

There is a "newish" rule in place that modified vehicles cannot be imported into Canada.

"
Why is a modified vehicle no longer considered admissible for importation?
Once modified (other than having general repairs or routine maintenance), the vehicle no longer maintains its original factory issued certification. This certification is required for importation into Canada. This also applies to Canadian certified vehicles modified in the United States and returning to Canada. For example:
  • a motorcycle converted into trike,
  • a cargo van converted into a camper,
  • adding a suspension lift kit to a vehicle,
  • adapting a vehicle for disabled access,
  • lengthening a vehicle or
  • re-fitting a vehicle with a different body kit.
"

I called Transport Canada and explained the details of what I wanted to do. I was told I could order all the parts and have the work done in Canada, no issues at all. But having the EXPERTS at Callaway in New Hampshire do the work for example, then makes my car inadmissible coming back to Canada. :Banghead:

I've sent an email to Transport Canada explaining what it is I might want to do, and see if there is any way to have it "pre-approved" ...

Ridiculous really ....

And here is the response I got back from Transport Canada, LOL. Glad they can comprehend copy and pasting at least lol.

"
Thank you for contacting Transport Canada.

All vehicles made for sale in Canada and all vehicles imported into Canada must meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Manufacturers and importers must follow the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations - Schedule III and related safety standards, technical standards documents and test methods.

A vehicle modified from its original state will not qualify to be imported into Canada. This also applies to Canadian-owned vehicles modified in the U.S. or Mexico and then returning to Canada. Once you modify a vehicle, you take it out of compliance and you jeopardize the original certification from the manufacturer. Rendering the vehicle inadmissible for importation into Canada.

[name removed]

Information Centre, Motor Vehicle Safety
Transport Canada / Government of Canada
[email protected] / Tel: 1-800-333-0371 / TTY: 1-888-675-6863
"

Nebulous. After you have your vehicle modified in the US you are returning to Canada. You are not importing it to Canada.
Thorn is correct, you are not importing a vehicle that was originally purchased in Canada and that has not changed ownership throughout the modifications.

The only time I could see this coming into play, if the modifications are illegal in the eyes of Transport Canada or provincial transportation authorities.

I would not even tell the customs that anything was done to the vehicle. I will be heading to Buffalo to get new tires installed when the time comes and none will be the wiser. Just mail you receipts back to yourself if they even provide paper versions.

I would be more worried about the insurance company denying a claim due to non-stock modifications.

And here is the response I got back from Transport Canada, LOL. Glad they can comprehend copy and pasting at least lol.

"
Thank you for contacting Transport Canada.

All vehicles made for sale in Canada and all vehicles imported into Canada must meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Manufacturers and importers must follow the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations - Schedule III and related safety standards, technical standards documents and test methods.

A vehicle modified from its original state will not qualify to be imported into Canada. This also applies to Canadian-owned vehicles modified in the U.S. or Mexico and then returning to Canada. Once you modify a vehicle, you take it out of compliance and you jeopardize the original certification from the manufacturer. Rendering the vehicle inadmissible for importation into Canada.

[name removed]

Information Centre, Motor Vehicle Safety
Transport Canada / Government of Canada
[email protected] / Tel: 1-800-333-0371 / TTY: 1-888-675-6863
"
Just curious but as the saying goes “ a nod is as good as a wink to a blind bat “ . What may I ask makes you worry that they would even know that the work on the car had been done? You go to the States for a week and come back. I can’t see them taking pictures of the engine compartment on the way down….why would they ? If for some bizarre reason they did on the way down then maybe. Ain’t gonna happen. Even if they did a search for contraband on the way back and looked all over the vehicle and noticed that the engine had a blower no way they could ascertain when or where the work was done. If they even knew what they were looking at which is doubtful.

But if you get caught with not reporting the modification to the car it could be impounded. Crossing the border without "declaring" purchases can lead to many issues down the road as you will have a "record" with the border people.

• Agree
Reactions: vacek
I travel internationally for work and risking sneaking something like this across the border is a non starter for me. It could end my career if I got "caught".

My wife and I bought a German Shepherd from Vermont 2 years back, and when we brought it across they wanted to see my bank account to verify my declaration of what I paid for the dog. While rooting through my bank account on my phone, they were then asking me about other purchases in the states during my trip. It was the MOST uncomfortable thing I've ever experienced. Never again. I had nothing to hide, but damn, they have the power to do whatever they want when you cross.

So modifying a car and trying to sneak it over, just isn't in the cards.

I've found an exception process, deep in the bowels of the TC rules and regulations. As such, I have sent a request for an exception to the Minister of Transport per the process. I dont expect anything to come of it, but I nicely sent along a 3 page request, following the guidelines. We will see what comes of it.

Davenport motorsports in Calgary is a registered Lingenfelter and magnuson dealer/installer. They have really good reviews but I don't have any personal experience.
I've spoken to them, and they said they had done 8 C8's to date ... Seems like good guys.

But thats the other side of the earth from New Brunswick :p Callaway is a 7 hour drive, BUT in the USA.

Don't fool around with the customs. I lived it once with a Pantera and it has been my worst experience in life. At first they put a hold on the brand new flatbed truck and the Pantera. I finally got out with only a $1100 fine but as said before I was in the system for some years. Better not do it.

• Agree
Reactions: vacek