ontcanuck

2023 Torch red HTC, 2LT
Regular
Jan 12, 2012
Woodstock,Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2023 torch red HTC
some car companies are becoming concerned their vehicles are being flipped for profit so they're no longer providing compliance letters.

“They don't want a vehicle that is supposed to be destined for Canada that’s on a long waiting list and then someone buys it and takes it to the United States and flips it down there,” so beware

I expect the OP is referring to the news article that came out yesterday, saying exactly what he referenced. See below. Granted, this is for a different vehicle (2023 Toyota Prius Prime) however the article mentions both Toyota and Kia. It wouldn't shock me if GM took the same position with Corvettes or other GM vehicles, since GM might still want to protect their US dealer network from new Canadian Corvettes somehow making their way to the States, even if a very small number of them. I wonder if anyone who's purchased a 2024 Corvette in Canada, is still being asked to sign something saying they'll not sell it for a year (or 6 months)? Anyone?

For the Z06, original buyers in the States who sell before 6 months, cause their purchaser (buyer #2) to lose the GM warranty. If anyone on these Forums and from Canada has purchased a 2024 Z06, let us know if any restrictions were imposed and if so, what and how (ie. signed agreement?).

I expect the OP is referring to the news article that came out yesterday, saying exactly what he referenced. See below. Granted, this is for a different vehicle (2023 Toyota Prius Prime) however the article mentions both Toyota and Kia. It wouldn't shock me if GM took the same position with Corvettes or other GM vehicles, since GM might still want to protect their US dealer network from new Canadian Corvettes somehow making their way to the States, even if a very small number of them. I wonder if anyone who's purchased a 2024 Corvette in Canada, is still being asked to sign something saying they'll not sell it for a year (or 6 months)? Anyone?

For the Z06, original buyers in the States who sell before 6 months, cause their purchaser (buyer #2) to lose the GM warranty. If anyone on these Forums and from Canada has purchased a 2024 Z06, let us know if any restrictions were imposed and if so, what and how (ie. signed agreement?).

GM is requiring Canadian purchasers of new HD trucks to sign the same 6 month and 12k non export agreement. Just went through it on my new 3500 dually.

• Informative
Reactions: OL Yeller

I had to sign a 12 month no export doc + a 1$ lien

I believe it is the NAFTA that covers import and export of brand-new vehicles. I know that if you buy something brand-new in the US, you cannot bring it into Canada until it is at least a year old. The agreement was redrafted a few years ago between Trump and Trudeau, so perhaps export to the US is okay, but it is all stupid. All in the name of profit at every angle.

Can't wait until the manufacturers start lobbying the government to get rid of the lux tax. Its coming as high end sales are starting to dry up and wealthy folks who own a US property or business are buying south of the border not even with the exchange).
You're being very optimistic.
The Government isn't going to budge on a cash grab like the luxury tax.
The relatively small percentage of affected purchasers isn't enough to cause a stir either.
Why upset the voting masses whose attitude is that if you can afford a Corvette, you can afford the extra taxes?

Reactions: gone
It's not a cash grab anyway. The amount they get from it is probably peanuts in the grand scheme of things. I think it's more of a "Look what we've done! Taxing the rich!" The great unwashed think it's about time. Cash grabs are more like taxing fuel or home heating or cigarettes etc.

The relatively small percentage of affected purchasers isn't enough to cause a stir either.
Why upset the voting masses whose attitude is that if you can afford a Corvette, you can afford the extra taxes?
I hate it when your right Darrell, but when this new tax generated almost 800 million dollars in the first year and the conservatives only saying they will "study it"
I think the most that might be accomplished is raising the limits.

It's not a cash grab anyway. The amount they get from it is probably peanuts in the grand scheme of things. I think it's more of a "Look what we've done! Taxing the rich!" The great unwashed think it's about time. Cash grabs are more like taxing fuel or home heating or cigarettes etc.
You are correct with the luxury tax being peanuts. Our country at this moment is over 1.2 trillion in debt and that's growing nearly 110 million per day with every 24 hour breath our federal politicians take (note that I generalized federal politicians). The luxury tax was projected 14 months ago to bring 163 million per year into the government coffers. That's not going to go very far.

You are correct with the luxury tax being peanuts. Our country at this moment is over 1.2 trillion in debt and that's growing nearly 110 million per day with every 24 hour breath our federal politicians take (note that I generalized federal politicians). The luxury tax was projected 14 months ago to bring 163 million per year into the government coffers. That's not going to go very far.
Wow, I had no idea 110 Million a day further in debt with interest! The National Post said it generated $779 Million in the first 5 years which is in line with your figure.
Does anyone know what they actually collected in year 1?

Last edited:
Wow, I had no idea 110 Million a day further in debt with interest! The National Post said it generated $779 Million in the first 5 years which is in line with your figure.
Does anyone know what they actually collected in year 1?
The last eight years have been enlightening to say the least. The debt has been increased more in the last eight years than all years back to Confederation combined . Wow.

For those who care to be in the know ... lol

There was another general increase in federal debt per person from the mid-1960s until 1995. Federal debt per person grew 225 per -cent from 1966 ($12,836) until its historic peak in 1995 ($41,768). After the mid-1990s, debt reduction continued to be a focus for Jean Chrétien, Paul Martin, and Stephen Harper (for the first two years of his tenure). Federal per-person debt fell to $28,482 in 2007, lowest value since 1984.

However, the 2008 financial crisis in the United States prompted a recession in Canada and federal debt began to sharply increase once again. Federal debt per person increased from $32,404 in 2008 to $37,585 in 2019.

During the COVID-19 global pandemic, the Trudeau government increased federal debt per person to $48,955 by 2021, an increase of 30.3 percent from the level in 2019.

While federal debt per person is expected to decrease marginally in 2022 to $47,070, this is 25.2 percent higher than the level of debt per person prior to the pandemic.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: OL Yeller
For those who care to be in the know ... lol

There was another general increase in fed- eral debt per person from the mid-1960s until 1995. Federal debt per person grew 225 per -cent from 1966 ($12,836) until its historic peak in 1995 ($41,768). After the mid-1990s, debt reduction continued to be a focus for Jean Chrétien, Paul Martin, and Stephen Harper (for the first two years of his tenure). Federal per-person debt fell to $28,482 in 2007, lowest value since 1984.

However, the 2008 financial crisis in the United States prompted a recession in Canada and federal debt began to sharply increase once again. Federal debt per person increased from $32,404 in 2008 to $37,585 in 2019.

During the COVID-19 global pandemic, the Trudeau government increased federal debt per person to $48,955 by 2021, an increase of 30.3 percent from the level in 2019.

While federal debt per person is expected to decrease marginally in 2022 to $47,070, this is 25.2 percent higher than the level of debt per person prior to the pandemic.
Don’t worry. Apparently the budget will balance itself. Jesus.

Don’t worry. Apparently the budget will balance itself. Jesus.
OK, enough budget talk! I personally ran a deficit until I paid off my mortgage. I had more money in my economy and more money for social programs. Now I run a surplus. Prices for goods went up, but my budget decreased. I had to cancel many of my social programs and had to tax my wife! ;)

There are 2 sides to every story. I'll vote who I want and never criticize the government I didn't elect! Oh, wait. Yes I do. Never mind ....
;)

I was asked to sign the agreement when I picked up my 2024 Corvette

I met a c8 owner while away in Aruba just a couple of weeks ago. Now get this he was hoping to sell north into Canada thinking he might sell it quicker then stateside since it is a 2021 and there are many for sale in his area. I simply can't imagine that would end up being a money maker, but maybe I just don't know.

• Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.