Apr 9, 2019
St Catharines Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1999 corvette
Province
ON
Hi all, was wondering if it is necessary to install new sensors when installing new tires on the stock rims. They are working perfectly, and I hear they have a battery installed in them, at least that is what I read. And when putting after market rims on, can the sensors from the old rims be reused. I have been trying to google as much info as possible , but I am sure some of you guys have dealt with this. I am used to the older C3,s for which I have had a few, and this is my first C5, with all this technology LOL. Thanx all....JSH

Hi JSH I googled it at this is what I found. Yes, you can definitely reuse your factory installed tire pressure monitoring sensors. Sensors are fragile and can be easily damaged, so please be sure to exercise caution when removing the sensors from your wheels. ... The estimated lifespan of an original equipment TPMS sensor is 5-7 years.

Hi all, was wondering if it is necessary to install new sensors when installing new tires on the stock rims. They are working perfectly, and I hear they have a battery installed in them, at least that is what I read. And when putting after market rims on, can the sensors from the old rims be reused. I have been trying to google as much info as possible , but I am sure some of you guys have dealt with this. I am used to the older C3,s for which I have had a few, and this is my first C5, with all this technology LOL. Thanx all....JSH
It all depends on whether you'd rather spend more now with the tire change or even more later when you have to duplicate the labour charge again when you've already paid for most of that labour with the tire replacement. The previous owner of our C6 put a new set of Michelin Pilot SS ZP tires on the car the year before we bought it. The sensors were 8 years old at the time and the tire store told them they didn't need to be changed. The battery life in the sensors is 8 to 10 years maximum. I started to get erroneous tire pressure warnings during the first year of ownership and had to replace them all anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: hemicat
Logically, the TPMS does not know that you have changed your tyres. It monitors tyre pressure not make or brand of tyre.
Two things to watch 1) as mentioned above the TPMS is only good for so long so eventually they will need to be changed out and 2) the TPMS is calibrated to the car system when installed so if you change rim location, such as switching front and rear, the read out will be out of sync with tyre location i.e. it might tell you low in front when the rim has been re-located to the rear. So the TPMS should be re-synced if you are not sure where the rims are. Not too much of a problem for those of us running 19's front and 20's rear

Last edited:
Reactions: theboss
Just picked up the 99 vert last year, that's almost 21 years, so I figure somewhere along the line they have been changed, because 21 years is quite a long time for them to last. now can new batteries be installed or not. Thanks for all the info guys....JSH
The batteries in the TPMS sensors are not replaceable since the entire assembly is sealed in epoxy. Some have successfully taken a Dremel tool to expose the old battery and solder in a new one but seriously? With the work involved in removing and reinstalling them would one even want to attempt this?

The batteries in the TPMS sensors are not replaceable since the entire assembly is sealed in epoxy. Some have successfully taken a Dremel tool to expose the old battery and solder in a new one but seriously? With the work involved in removing and reinstalling them would one even want to attempt this?
Many, probably everyone, wouldn't. But one might.
Considering that you have to remove and rebalance the tyres and also considering that the sensor itself might go bad at some point it is probably a fairly useless exercise to try and replace the batteries. You would still have to resync the tyre sensors to the car.
I replaced the batteries in my calculator only to find out two weeks later that I could have bought a brand new one for less than the cost of the batteries. Live and learn!

Reactions: Icecap
In my ridgeline (and previous hondas, acuras), I can swap and or rotate tires all I want. In less than 3kms, the system recognizes and calibrates the tpms sensors. I just swapped my winters on a couple weeks ago, and all's well.
Doesn't a gm do the same?

In my ridgeline (and previous hondas, acuras), I can swap and or rotate tires all I want. In less than 3kms, the system recognizes and calibrates the tpms sensors. I just swapped my winters on a couple weeks ago, and all's well.
Not from what I was told. But that is for my 2012 Nox.

Our C6 requires this tool to reset the TPMS and for the system to adapt new sensors and their position on the vehicle. The tool itself is cheap and cost about $20 on Amazon. Don't know whether the C5 is done the same way.

Attachments

• TPMS_resetTool.JPG
    TPMS_resetTool.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Keith Tedford
replaced the TPMs when new tires installed on my GS 9 yrs. old not worth leaving the life is about 8 yrs. took the tire shop about 10 min. to calibrate no charge. Some vehicles like my 2016 Honda Pilot calibrate themselves after I installed winter tires.

Use your old ones if the batteries can actually be changed.
I decided to try aftermarket because the original new GM versions were ridiculously expensive on my C6 wheels and that was a mistake. The dealer could not program the new ones to match even with all the latest tools. Doesn't mean there aren't correct ones out there but I gave up trying. I just drive without them and check the air manually occasionally. Means I have to clear the TPMS message every startup but I got used to it.

Like I said previously, the car is almost 21 years old, so either they have been changed already, or I have a real good original set in the wheels. and the factory ones are ridiculously expensive. Think when I get the tires I will keep running the ones I have in now that are working perfectly, and when and if one goes for a crap, or all, will just rest the TPMS at each star up, and keep a close eye on the pressure like Ron did.

Now here is the question: TPMS great to have this little wizzy piece of equipment, but most of us probably have a good tire pressure guage which in most cases is better anyway than the TPMS. Now if you never re-re the OEM unit will it effect the function of the car, probably not. So why spend the money?

The easy solution if you replace your sensors before they stop working is to get ''easy sensors'' from shrader. The part # 33500 is a universal model that fits about 80% of the cars on the road. With the tool, you can duplicate the identity of your working sensors and the car will recognize them. You can also use these sensor for your winter wheels. This is what I use on my customers cars.

The 33500 can be programe with the proper tool but it's an expensive tool, many tireshop and autoparts stores have it, buy the sensors from them and they , in most case, will clone your old ones for free.

Many tpms tool can read the status of the battery.

Most American cars (except chrysler product) wont relearn the position of the wheels after rotation by themself, you have to do the relearn procedure everytime unless the car only have the tpms indicator light and no message display that can tell you the individual tire pressure.

Tpms is a good thing to have, before you notice the feeling of driving the car with a flat tire, specially whit run flat tires, it is often already to late and the tire is already have to much edammage inside, that's why you should always have your tires fix whit a patch so the tech, can remove the tire and look if it is still ok. So if your system is in good working order, you will know if there is a problem .

Have a great day.

Reactions: LE BARON
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.