Jan 24, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2023 Corvette Sting
Province
ON
My C8 reality is getting closer, finally got the call from the Dealer to build the car, so I may get the car by spring or shortly after if the process continues to move forward....
Part of me would like to get it Ceramic coated, but the more I read, the more I understand it's purpose, which is basically to Protect the Paint, and making it easier to keep clean....For some reason, I thought it was applied to prevent rock chips, but that's not the case.....
I'm sure the car will look really good after its done, but I'm concerned about how long it lasts?? From what I've read, it only lasts a few years, which I feel that's not very long considering the cost of getting it done.
For those who have got it done, can you give me your honest opinion of your thoughts and is it worth it?? Obviously you spent the $$ to get it done, so it could be a biased opinion, but I'm curious if you would do it again, and also, how long does it last??
Any feedback is appreciated....

Paint protection film. Ceramic coating. In that order. They do different things. Your call whether the cost is worth it based on your own cost/benefit analysis.

Good quality PPF lasts for at least 10 years (Expel Ultimate has a 10 year warranty). Ceramic coating (currently) should be refreshed every couple of years. There is now a PPF that has ceramic treatment embedded into the film.

My car bas been fully wrapped and ceramic applied. My last two Vettes the same. Wouldn't drive on an Alberta road without it.

Paint protection film. Ceramic coating. In that order. They do different things. Your call whether the cost is worth it based on your own cost/benefit analysis.

Good quality PPF lasts for at least 10 years (Expel Ultimate has a 10 year warranty). Ceramic coating (currently) should be refreshed every couple of years. There is now a PPF that has ceramic treatment embedded into the film.
thanks for the info....I was doing a bit of research on PPF as well, and it seems its main purpose is to help prevent chips etc, which is what I was hoping for (understanding its not totally preventable). How is the cost comparison for PPF vs Ceramic? Do they have to remove any parts when applying PPF? And does the film get a tinge of 'yellow' after awhile, or does it stay totally clear and unnoticeable??
thanks

thanks for the info....I was doing a bit of research on PPF as well, and it seems its main purpose is to help prevent chips etc, which is what I was hoping for (understanding its not totally preventable). How is the cost comparison for PPF vs Ceramic? Do they have to remove any parts when applying PPF? And does the film get a tinge of 'yellow' after awhile, or does it stay totally clear and unnoticeable??
thanks
The new films do not yellow. Badging may be removed for PPF installation. Depends on your installer. PPF cost typically runs $5k or more for a whole vehicle wrap. Ceramic coating typically runs around $1k. Some guys will only PPF strategic locations to save a few bucks.

Reactions: butsy
I had my 2020 550SL front end wrapped using specific body lines to fenders and also did the A-pillars and top above windshield, mirrors and inside door handle pockets - it costs me $2600.00 3 years ago. I sold that car to save for the C8 while the market was silly :) Was it worth it , that's a personal question - to me I don't think so. I doubt i will be wrapping my on order C8 moving forward. I would however do the ceramic coating as it will just make whatever color your vehicle is shine till the cows come home. It is easy to maintain ( ceramic) , I wash with a soap I pick up at Canadian Tire which is suited for ceramic coated vehicles. Suds are over the top. Trick for me is to blow the excess water off ( picked up some small blower at ctc as well ) and then use a clean micro fiber cloth for fine detailing thereafter. I even had the wheels ceramic coated which helped a lot with brake dust. I do not daily drive my car so I dont feel it truly is required. If I get a few stone chips so beit. If they really bother me , Ill pay cash and paint the hood every few years... my2c

I did ceramic my current C8, but I probably won't do it on my next car. Me thinks I will polish it myself after delivery, and then send it in to get PPF. There are places in the GTA that will ceramic for $600 bucks ish nowadays. It really isn't a terribly difficult process to do yourself, but you do need a well illuminated area that's dust free.

I did the ceramic coat myself when the car was new so did not have to do a lot of prep work which is important to do on an older car. Used Avalon , around 75.00 and very pleased with the results took a couple of hours but really not very difficult. As to the protective film , I passed as well since it is not a daily driver and we are careful where we go , but if it gets a chip so be it , it will still go like hell and corner like it is on rails.

Reactions: vintageracer
My dealer finance guy was all over me to let them add ceramic when the C8 was on the way. He started at $1600, dropped to 1400, then 1200, then 1000, all a couple days apart. I just kept saying no, and he gave up. I called a couple of detailers, (one of whom my dealer would have sent it to), they both said $800. I ended up buying Adam's graphene ceramic coating kit for ~ $150. I went over the painted surfaces with polishing compound, then used the kit. It's very easy to apply, and I was amazed at the result. Super hi gloss and nothing sticks to it. Package says do all surfaces, including plastic and glass. In the rain, water goes into large beads and rolls off, no wipers needed. Brake dust rinses off with a hose. I do have to dry it after a rain or wash, the beads will leave water spots.

As above: personal choice if or how you choose to protect your car exterior. I do PPF and ceramic coating on all my new vehicles, including my 2020 C8 which I owned only for 14 months...and only got my money back for them, due to the then current market on vehicles/C8's. Usually you get nothing or next to nothing back, for those expenses...like most accessories on a vehicle. An experienced business usually finds paint flaws on a new vehicle before doing any coating and "corrects" them, giving you a better end result. So that's one benefit to having this done, although it takes a trained eye to spot the flaws. And ALWAYS shop around; prices vary and it's usually far cheaper to go to a private business rather than your dealer, with the dealer often farming it out to a private business then adding a dealer mark-up to what's charged to you. But some like the convenience of using a dealer, especially if wanting to drive the car away for the first time, with the protective coating(s) on it right from the start. Good luck!

thanks
If you do PPF it must be done before the ceramic. The ceramic is so slippery that the PPF won't stick.
PPF is entirely clear. One even has to look hard to find edges.

I decided not to bother with ceramic coating as GM does not recommend using aftermarket clearcoat sealants. GM is OK with occasional hand waxing or mild polishing to remove any residue from the paint finish.

I used to use polymer sealant many years ago (ceramic coating wasn't available at the time) on my cars but stopped using it as it's difficult to remove should you ever need to do any paint work.

I decided not to bother with ceramic coating as GM does not recommend using aftermarket clearcoat sealants. GM is OK with occasional hand waxing or mild polishing to remove any residue from the paint finish.

I used to use polymer sealant many years ago (ceramic coating wasn't available at the time) on my cars but stopped using it as it's difficult to remove should you ever need to do any paint work.
If GM doesnt recommend coatings, then why do dealerships offer it? Inquiring minds want to know….

Agreed, but dealers would not deliberately and publicly contravene the motherships direction. The warranty implications would be significant. I would also be interested in reading GM’s recommendation to not ceramic coat.
To Clarify, there's no direct reference made to ceramic coating. I've made the assumption that ceramic coating could be classified as an "aftermarket clearcoat sealant" by GM. If your car was ceramic coated and had a paint issue, GM may decline the paint repair under warranty. Please appreciate that this is purely speculation on my behalf.

The actual wording found in the owner's manual (page 283) for my 2022 states:

Finish Care

Application of aftermarket clearcoat sealant/wax materials is not recommended. If painted surfaces are damaged, see your dealer to have the damage assessed and repaired. [balance of paragraph omitted for this reply].

The same wording is found on page 273 for my 2020.

I suppose one could ask GM for their position on this. I haven't bothered to do so as I've not applied anything other that PPF on my cars.

I just had a top-up on my ceramic coating while adding PPF to just the high impact spots.
I highly recommend both. It's the PPF that's the big hit to the pocket but when done correct it is (close to) invisible.

IMO from what I've read, Ceramic is a very good 'high level' Wax job that needs to be re-done every year or 2?? Seems expensive for something that has to be continually re-done vs just waxing your own car every few months yourself...I'm sure Ceramic is better, but I'm surprised it doesn't last longer from what I've read......PPF seems like a better way to go IMO...(maybe full front end PPF??) and just wax overtop of it a few times per year...

IMO from what I've read, Ceramic is a very good 'high level' Wax job that needs to be re-done every year or 2?? Seems expensive for something that has to be continually re-done vs just waxing your own car every few months yourself...I'm sure Ceramic is better, but I'm surprised it doesn't last longer from what I've read......PPF seems like a better way to go IMO...(maybe full front end PPF??) and just wax overtop of it a few times per year...
I have had good ceramic coatings applied that have lasted for years. The additional top off if needed, is usually pretty reasonable in price if you went to a detail shop.

I bought two good Flex polishers (so that's what a good polisher should feel like) and use 3D products, great results and I enjoy taking the time. I did Xpel Ultimate full front roof and rockers. 13K kms and it looks awesome! Some think that Ceramic is the be all end all. It's not and requires care just like anything else. It's not bullet proof like many think.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.