So this happened at 1,400 KM In the dealership parking lot...

View attachment 82909
Booked an oil change on Monday at the dealership. On the ride down (Thursday) and out of nowhere , I noticed the car shifted from 6th gear into 8th (skipping 7) and would also downshift from 8 to 6 (skipping 7) when using the paddles.

Observing this a couple of times and wondering if it was normal, I then noticed the check engine light was illuminated (it's hidden slightly behind the steering wheel and to the right )

Everything felt fine and smooth and the transmission temperature was normal so continued down the highway to the dealership to let them look into it.

Turning into the dealership parking lot, the transmissions suddenly disengaged and left us stuck with 2 wheels up the incline entrance and the rest of the car sticking out on the active roadway.

The car would not budge.. even after a restart.

"Transmission service required" or some message along those lines.

8 service guys helped push the car up the driveway and into the lot and took the car back for diagnosis.s

Initial diagnosis was not good and was told a new transmission is a strong possibility and even worse, that may take 3 weeks ..

Phone calls were made to the transmission team in USA to exchange error codes and discuss next steps.

The swap is rated at 30 hrs and $5,000 usd in labour. Transmission is about $10k usd .

This will be handled under warranty but it sure makes me think again about purchasing that extended warranty...

I've gotta say , The team at the dealership has been fantastic so far and I'm hoping to get some more details tomorrow.

While they provided a Malibu rental, it's just not the same...

Tough break not having the car and I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.

Updates to follow...

View attachment 82910

View attachment 82911
This kind of trouble with brand new cars sure takes the lustre off of owning one. I will be sticking to our C6.

Reactions: Dik
Plus you can't get one until 2023...
A neighbour has a newer C7 and ordered a C8. They wouldn't give him a firm price and that kept going up. A long wait if he wanted the C8, so he just cancelled the C8 order. He quite likes his supercharged C7. I rode in it and it is a pretty nice car. GM sure is making the rabbits jump for the carrot.

A neighbour has a newer C7 and ordered a C8. They wouldn't give him a firm price and that kept going up. A long wait if he wanted the C8, so he just cancelled the C8 order. He quite likes his supercharged C7. I rode in it and it is a pretty nice car. GM sure is making the rabbits jump for the carrot.
I've never driven a C7, but the C8 and the C7 are totally different and only share the name. You really can't compare the two.

I've never driven a C7, but the C8 and the C7 are totally different and only share the name. You really can't compare the two.
I agree. You can't compare the two but the C7 was a giant leap ahead for the front engine Corvette, incorporating everything new and improved. The C7 was not my first Corvette and the difference from previous generations was mind blowing. I have never driven a C8 and I would venture that the difference is mind blowing again. I would love to compare the two so come out west for a visit Murray and I will give you the opportunity to drive a C7..... for the opportunity to drive a C8 of course... ;)

Because of the DCT failures, GM has extended the first free oil change and free DCT filter change from 12 months to 24 months in the USA

At least you made it to your first oil change! I picked up mine last Tuesday and the tranny problems started Friday. I guess it lasted 3 days not bad for 100 grand
It is surprising given the litany of test Bowling Green does before the car leaves the plant. Just downright bad luck!! I certainly sympathise.

I just find it interesting that GM's choice in transmission(s) drove a significant portion of their market away and left a lot of those remaining unable to drive. :Biggrin:

Not humorous for those who have suffered the fallout from bad components. And the above poster is correct why bother with all the "testing" of the prototypes, does not seem to make much difference to the end result.

The DCT in the C8 is an awesome unit and fits right in to the rear engine design in my opinion. I have no worries whatsoever that I might get one with issues, the vast majority of them are trouble free seems to me. Every car has its more likely failure points. It's what you hear about on forums such as this. I could have an issue with any new car that I buy, just check out the forums for other brands.
I sympathize with those that have had issues, it's a downer, but eventually you'll have your awesome car back on the road and enjoying every minute.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
At least you made it to your first oil change! I picked up mine last Tuesday and the tranny problems started Friday. I guess it lasted 3 days not bad for 100 grand
Brutal! Hopefully they fix you up as good as they did mine. It's been excellent since #2.

Also you may ask to get the 2 extra quarts of fluid while you're there... they didn't even charge me for that.

Wow! That's disappointing to see. :oops: When I purchased my 2019 Grand Sport I went for the extended warranty as well as one for the tires. The tire warranty has paid for itself having replaced 3 tires which included one front and 2 on the rear. :) With supply issues these days, those things are not cheap! Good luck with the replacement transmission. Hopefully they'll have it ready for you in less time than expected.

Reactions: Murray20c8
I only compare them in the fact that the C8 seems to have more than its share of serious problems. Who needs that kind of aggravation and paying over $100K to boot. No excuse at all for this to be happening.

I only compare them in the fact that the C8 seems to have more than its share of serious problems. Who needs that kind of aggravation and paying over $100K to boot. No excuse at all for this to be happening.
There are no more problems with this car than with any other new model. The Internet is more and more a factor and 1 problem with a car turns into all cars have this problem. JD Power (I believe it was) ranks the C8 highly on reliability.

• Agree
Reactions: Thom and Mach147
There are no more problems with this car than with any other new model. The Internet is more and more a factor and 1 problem with a car turns into all cars have this problem. JD Power (I believe it was) ranks the C8 highly on reliability.
Consumer Report and Motor Biscuit would tend to disagree on the C8. Compared to the C7 debut, there do seem to be more issues.

Consumer Report and Motor Biscuit would tend to disagree on the C8. Compared to the C7 debut, there do seem to be more issues.
That could well be true, but the C7 wasn't an entirely new car. I was comparing it with totally new cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.