Ty.

Casual User
Apr 13, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2021 C8
Province
ON
So this happened at 1,400 KM In the dealership parking lot...

510202117927.jpg

Booked an oil change on Monday at the dealership. On the ride down (Thursday) and out of nowhere , I noticed the car shifted from 6th gear into 8th (skipping 7) and would also downshift from 8 to 6 (skipping 7) when using the paddles.

Observing this a couple of times and wondering if it was normal, I then noticed the check engine light was illuminated (it's hidden slightly behind the steering wheel and to the right )

Everything felt fine and smooth and the transmission temperature was normal so continued down the highway to the dealership to let them look into it.

Turning into the dealership parking lot, the transmissions suddenly disengaged and left us stuck with 2 wheels up the incline entrance and the rest of the car sticking out on the active roadway.

The car would not budge.. even after a restart.

"Transmission service required" or some message along those lines.

8 service guys helped push the car up the driveway and into the lot and took the car back for diagnosis.s

Initial diagnosis was not good and was told a new transmission is a strong possibility and even worse, that may take 3 weeks ..

Phone calls were made to the transmission team in USA to exchange error codes and discuss next steps.

The swap is rated at 30 hrs and $5,000 usd in labour. Transmission is about $10k usd .

This will be handled under warranty but it sure makes me think again about purchasing that extended warranty...

I've gotta say , The team at the dealership has been fantastic so far and I'm hoping to get some more details tomorrow.

While they provided a Malibu rental, it's just not the same...

Tough break not having the car and I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.

Updates to follow...

510202117958.jpg

510202117117.jpg

That sucks! But, hey, warranty, so beats $10K out of pocket. And 3 weeks? That would suck for normal cars but not bad for a special car with a near unique transmission in normal times, let alone crazy COVID times. I tried ordering a digital rack mixer/stage box for a project recently, the Canadian supplier was out of stock and is 60-90 days wait. I also tried ordering 4x hard drives for a NAS drive and most stores are limiting to 2 per customer, if they had stock at all. Anyhow, I certainly hope your transmission was the oddity, that the replacement is solid, and the Malibu doesn't suck your soul.

Some great points and comments above. There is no denying that supply chains everywhere are impacted.

It sounds like a transmission has been allocated and has shipped from Tremec to GM plant where it will them be relayed to the dealership for install.

Update Friday, June 18th: (Day 9) Transmission shipping status is showing as expected for delivery at the GM plant today - (6/18) (Bowling Green?). After a short stop, it will be shipped to dealership for installation.

- Dealership is also waiting on some gaskets required for the swap.

- I have returned the Malibu

I will connect with my service rep next Wednesday for an update.

Stay safe.

I know exactly how you feel, mine has been at the dealership since June 10, I was told on the 16th that I need a new DCT, after they replaced the control unit first. After a 17 month wait for the car. Please let me know the progress on you DCT delivery date. i Had purchased the 7 year extended warranty as well as the tire and rim extended warranty.
good luck with your repair.

Reactions: 2KforeverC5
Update Monday June 21st: (Day 12)
Transmission just came off the truck at the dealership. All other parts and gaskets have arrived.

Hoping to get a tech started tomorrow and, optimistically (but without promise) might be ready at end of the week.

Ive also asked them to make a note on the work order to add 2 additional quarts of transmission fluid (at my expense) to the unit before it gets installed.

Fingers crossed!

(I should remind them about that oil change too..)

Question for you guys: Do you think they will re-activate the 500 mile software 'break in period'?

Reactions: Murray20c8
Update Monday June 21st: (Day 12)
Transmission just came off the truck at the dealership. All other parts and gaskets have arrived.

Hoping to get a tech started tomorrow and, optimistically (but without promise) might be ready at end of the week.

Ive also asked them to make a note on the work order to add 2 additional quarts of transmission fluid (at my expense) to the unit before it gets installed.

Fingers crossed!

(I should remind them about that oil change too..)

Question for you guys: Do you think they will re-activate the 500 mile software 'break in period'?
I'd still go easy for a while. Trannies have lots of internals like a motor.

Ty. Sorry to hear of your problem. Our cars may have been built around the same time as mine was delivered to the dealer the 3rd week of April. Anyways, same thing happened to me last Sunday June 13th. Was taking a nice ride along the river and had to stop. When I started up the engine had to rev to 2500rpm then it would skip 2 gears and then rev again then skip 2 gears. When slowing down it would not hear down until you were almost stopped then would only go down to D2. Took it into the dealership the next day. It went through the gears normally at first but by the time I arrived it was doing it again. Took them all week last week to find the issue and they say it’s a part in the transmission that was going to take 3-5 days to get. Here we are Wednesday and a week and a half in the shop and no end in sight. Fingers crossed I get a call in the next couple days. Hope yours turns out. Yes, thinking the extended warranty may be a good purchase.

• Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
It’s $20k for a new transmission, extended warrant is a must if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. Mine was bucking sometimes at very low speed and tomorrow would be two weeks at the dealership Waiting for a new transmission.

Reactions: Ty.
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.