Looking into swapping out the SC2's on my Z06 which are basically brand new with a pair of PSS. Pricing on the PSS is staggering!
Just wondering where fellow forum members are sourcing tires these days?

ouch... been there.
My advice.... drive the hell out of the SC2s and then change to the PSS. Nobody will give you dick for the SC2 and they are amazing tires on your car. Drive them until they are toasted man.
Yes the prices are sobering... but the PSS are easier to get and a bit cheaper. The lifespan is much better as well for almost the same performance.
I got mine through the dealer who matched the best price I could find elsewhere installed. If you have a Z07 car... be very wary of a non-dealer install.
My 2 cents...

sorry just saw you are Z07... definitely go with pressing your dealer.

When I am up for swap-outs ... on my list for supply price comparisons is to check into an online Costco supply only (for a specific tire only)
and then follow up with a Corvette GM Dealership install only (or speed specialty shop - we have a couple in Calgary).
In other words try to save money on the tire but not necessarily on the install (as it's all about caring for the wheels with the install).

Last edited:
Try tdot performance. (free drop shipping)
I haven't clicked on "buy" yet, but I have a set in my cart.
I've found this is often a "clever" thing to do.
Create an online account with a supplier you are thinking about.
Then put your product into your cart, and maybe follow thru to the point of inserting payment information,
then stop and exit.
When doing this, I am finding suppliers know that a customer has gone all the way to this point.
As you did this by creating an account, they have your email and then send you an message saying
"Hey we noticed that you did not complete your order, might this promo code help a bit" :Wideyed: ?

Shopping a specific accessory, I found 2 out 3 online suppliers did this with me
with a 5% to 10% promo code ... just because I waited.

Cheers :thumbs:

ouch... been there.
My advice.... drive the hell out of the SC2s and then change to the PSS. Nobody will give you dick for the SC2 and they are amazing tires on your car. Drive them until they are toasted man.
Yes the prices are sobering... but the PSS are easier to get and a bit cheaper. The lifespan is much better as well for almost the same performance.
I got mine through the dealer who matched the best price I could find elsewhere installed. If you have a Z07 car... be very wary of a non-dealer install.
My 2 cents...

sorry just saw you are Z07... definitely go with pressing your dealer.
Thanks Derek--didn't even think of the dealership as I've always avoided them for tires, but this may be different and worth a shot for sure. I've gotten to know the manager fairly well and they've have looked after me very well to date so I'll see where that goes. My biggest concern is the install and damage to the rotors.

There is nothing quite like a warmed up pair of SC2's on the Z06--I'll miss that although my talent and public roads limit their capabilities.
Alternately, there is nothing quite like a cold pair of SC2's on a late October drive, when leaving a mall with my wife and a very minor--and I mean minor--tap of the gas fishtailed the car. She hated the car that day!

Yes the SC
Thanks Derek--didn't even think of the dealership as I've always avoided them for tires, but this may be different and worth a shot for sure. I've gotten to know the manager fairly well and they've have looked after me very well to date so I'll see where that goes. My biggest concern is the install and damage to the rotors.

There is nothing quite like a warmed up pair of SC2's on the Z06--I'll miss that although my talent and public roads limit their capabilities.
Alternately, there is nothing quite like a cold pair of SC2's on a late October drive, when leaving a mall with my wife and a very minor--and I mean minor--tap of the gas fishtailed the car. She hated the car that day!

Yes the SC2s are amazing warmed up. You will find very little difference with the PSS. Especially on the streets. The warm and cold characteristics are very similar.
The Spring Mountain school uses all PSS tires as the performance is so good. 👍

Yes the SC

Yes the SC2s are amazing warmed up. You will find very little difference with the PSS. Especially on the streets. The warm and cold characteristics are very similar.
The Spring Mountain school uses all PSS tires as the performance is so good. 👍
I have PSS on my Audi and have been very happy with them. I'm comfortable into early November with them, particularly given the A4 has about 1/3 the horsepower of the Z06 :Biggrin:

Reactions: ccltj and ddgermann
I know this may be sacrilege, but I swapped out to Pirelli PZeros when my SC2 tires were about toast (saved them as spares just in case....) I've had the PZeros on the Viper and S2000.....like em. Not sure if they can be had for less or more than PSS, but may be an option. I've had no problem changing tires out with Kal Tire in North Battleford, but I do need to bring along my set of race ramps to help them out.....no big deal. Acura charged me $600 to fit the Pirelli Sottozeros on my new NSX a couple weeks ago.....that's a little steep, and I did just find a chip in my back right wheel last week...not sure where that came from......

• Wow
Reactions: ddgermann and ccltj
Well, after a nice long detailed reply our forum glitched and asked me to refresh upon posting.... and there it goes lol.

So now I must send you a similar copy and pasted reply I did on another thread. Burning Rubber in Oakville is a top notch shop. I will send you a PM with details on who to call etc. I’ve sent a bunch of members and performance car owners there. They have all been happy/well taken care of. I was just a customer but became friends as many have. They are skilled and very particular. They have Hunter’s top of the line tire equipment. Quality alignment rack too. They set weights on the drivers seat for their alignments as well. Chris and Alex both race road course tracks as well. They also do track alignments for a lot of guys. The shop is getting a great name with car guys. I see McClarens, Vettes, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Porsches, BMW M’s, Mercedes sport stuff, Alphas, Lotus etc in there all the time. The local Alfa Romeo dealer has them mount their big low profile stuff for them!! They have good equipment and know how to use it. If you watch the monitors in the waiting area you see pics of some of his customers cars. No matter what the customers drive there, they are not stuck up either. They seem to be true car lovers. Good chats can be had waiting lol.

It’s quite interesting coming into this thread and reading everything because I have PSS on my car right now and I want to change them to SC2’s - the opposite of what OP wants to do haha. I find that my back end it quite loose when I floor it and I’m curious if the SC2’s will help at all!

Reactions: ccltj and flyboy999
It’s quite interesting coming into this thread and reading everything because I have PSS on my car right now and I want to change them to SC2’s - the opposite of what OP wants to do haha. I find that my back end it quite loose when I floor it and I’m curious if the SC2’s will help at all!
They will. The SC2 tires are superior in grip to both the PSS and the Pirelli PZeros...but... I only got 5000km out of them....the trade off isn't worth it IMHO.

Reactions: ccltj and lupo
They are amazing tires when warm--the grip is unreal. They just aren't ideal for my own situation.
When I factor in mileage, comfort, and the fact I'm puttering around Toronto (typically in bumper to bumper traffic) they are beyond overkill for my type of driving. Add in the odd fishtail at 30km when they are cold and it's not making too much sense. I was caught in a severe rainstorm with heaving pooling last year and the car was absolute mess to drive.

I don't track the car, and bought my Z06 off the lot in late December for a price that gave me the Z07 package basically for 'free'. I would never have spec'd the car that way, but I'm very happy to the have the Z07 package regardless.

Yikes, 5000km! Is that with any track us or just daily driving? Over $1000 for tires every 5k isn’t fun haha

No that’s street use lol. The compound is extremely soft. That’s where you’re getting your grip from but it costs you. Also as stated bad in the rain due to no real tread pattern/depth, traction is bad to dangerous depending who you talk to.

I know this may be sacrilege, but I swapped out to Pirelli PZeros when my SC2 tires were about toast (saved them as spares just in case....) I've had the PZeros on the Viper and S2000.....like em. Not sure if they can be had for less or more than PSS, but may be an option. I've had no problem changing tires out with Kal Tire in North Battleford, but I do need to bring along my set of race ramps to help them out.....no big deal. Acura charged me $600 to fit the Pirelli Sottozeros on my new NSX a couple weeks ago.....that's a little steep, and I did just find a chip in my back right wheel last week...not sure where that came from......

Wow, $600.00 I have never heard of anything even remotely close to that for a mounting fee. What is the dealership’s flat rate? Even at a crazy rates we are talking hours of time. Even with multiple breakdowns and tire rotations/spins on the wheel, to do as good as possible, road force balance it’s seems extremely excessive. I would be very curious as to how they justify that charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: ccltj

That’s asking a lot of that tire. They will defined help some. If you are just “flooring” it versus modulating your throttle input based on available grip, I don’t think they will do as much as you’re expecting. If you are just dropping the hammer to the floor off the line the car will boil the cups as well. If you are already on a roll you still need to modulate power application or things are going to get jiggy. This type of power is not easily put down. The fastest acceleration will not come from just flooring the pedal, but from applying the right amount of throttle for your available traction. In hot summer weather they will grip pretty well to a point but there will still be wheelspin etc. If your dropping the pedal that much you won’t see 5000K from them unfortunately. Which as you mentioned gets costly. As pointed out above, the cost is far more than $1000.00 for a set.

Last edited:
That’s asking a lot of that tire. They will defined help some. If you are just “flooring” it versus modulating your throttle input based on available grip, I don’t think they will do as much as you’re expecting. If you are just dropping the hammer to the floor off the line the car will boil the cups as well. If you are already on a roll you still need to modulate power application or things are going to get jiggy. This type of power is not easily put down. The fastest acceleration will not come from just flooring the pedal, but from applying the right amount of throttle for your available traction. In hot summer weather they will grip pretty well to a point but there will still be wheelspin etc. If your dropping the pedal that much you won’t see 5000K from them unfortunately. Which as you mentioned gets costly. As pointed out above, the cost is far more than $1000.00 for a set.
That’s why I’m going to Spring Mountain =) And you’re right, the cheapest I’ve seen for two is $1500 plus tax.

• Agree
Reactions: lupo and ddgermann
Soft compound rubber is best for traction, but worst for longevity. It is indeed a trade-off.

Also, soft compound is a lot more susceptible to cold-weather wear , as in cold-storage over the winter in an unheated garage. Goodyears are the most famous for this. The first year, they are really good, and after the winter and into the next year, they are junk and just spin off.

It is an expensive game of live and learn.

I'm a cheap dink, and I want the maximum bang for my buck. I can't speak to the Pirelli's for modern stuff, so it would be unfair to say that they are still as disappointing as they were when I tried them years ago. Caveat Emptor, as they say. I have used Michelin Pilot Sports and Pilot Powers and prefer the Sports for their mileage. I still have a set of Nitto Invos on my Vette which have been on the car for five years, and although their initial traction is not great, I have been very impressed with their longevity. It is definitely a challenge to choose the right tire.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.