for winter storage, with modern tires, all you really need to do is to inflate them
about 5-8psi above normal running pressure; certainly NOT above the max psi
indicated on the tire sidewall.
I then have the tires sitting on rubber pads to keep them off the concrete
and thats it for the tires.
Cracking is due to the tire ageing and the effect of ozone on the rubber as the
tire ages. And we can't stop that happening !

Hope this helps.

Tony,
welland, Ont.

Cold will not make the tires crack. Ozone and uv ray will., As Tony said put some more air and that's it. My 57 Chevy pickup was in a barn every winter I owned it (6 years) and not a single crack. You may lift up the car a bit or completely, but modern tires dont have the flat spot issue anymore. My car is in my garage for the third winter, on concrete whit just a bit of heating to cut humidity and everything is fine. In the barn, I was more scared about rodent, that's wy I alway put mott balls all around.

Hope winter pass by real quick.

Stephane

I believe someone posted on one of these Corvette sites last winter that brand new Corvettes still on the car lots in south Florida had tires that were cracking. I think it is a Michelin problem not a cold problem. My original 2005 Goodyears still are not cracked and the car sits in a garage that is only heated in the damp spring and fall weather or when I need to work out there. Ozone also breaks down the rubber as well.

Last edited:
Generally heat is more of a problem than cold for tires. Uv rays are one of the biggest causes of cracking. The best thing to do is keep them pressured up, out of the sun, and ideally keep using them. Tires will actually last better when they are worked. But obviously that is not an option when the car is in storage.

T

Stephane ,we live really in the "country" here and the first year I had my C5 in the garage I found mouse droppings on top of the valve covers.The mouse must have come up the extension cord for the battery maintainer,Since then I have put bounce dryer sheets on various motor spots and also everwhere inside the car. For three years now not a single mouse invasion again.
Al..

Stephane ,we live really in the "country" here and the first year I had my C5 in the garage I found mouse droppings on top of the valve covers.The mouse must have come up the extension cord for the battery maintainer,Since then I have put bounce dryer sheets on various motor spots and also everwhere inside the car. For three years now not a single mouse invasion again.
Al..

Bounce dryer sheets? That's good to know that it works, more chance to find some of these sheets than mott balls at home. Also smell better. Thanks, good info. Stephane

Tires are cracking due to cold temperatures

I was at my favorite Chevrolet dealer Thursday (18th) and was told they rather not deliver in the winter due to the tires cracking. This sales manager said, "at -7 C. or colder the tires on the C7 (Michelins) will crack". He went on to state they have replaced about ten sets of tires so far. :confused: I guess I'll be running my heater all winter .... once I get my C7 of course.

Off topic a bit; they have a torch red 2014 red-3LT, A6, Z51 with 6000 km. and every conceivable option (two tops) sitting in their showroom for $79,700.00. If I was looking for a absolutely mint coupe this could be the one. Compared to the "biggest Corvette dealer" in my region this price is very good and I think they might have some wiggle room too.

I asked why this C7 was returned and he thinks it was a lease through a fellows company that didn't pan out with his accountant. :nono:

Dick

I put my original Goodyear tires and factory rims back on my car for the winter. Put the Michelin tires and new rims in the basement for the winter. With the price they are charging for them it was, in my mind, worth the struggle to get them there.

That's a plan!

I put my original Goodyear tires and factory rims back on my car for the winter. Put the Michelin tires and new rims in the basement for the winter. With the price they are charging for them it was, in my mind, worth the struggle to get them there.

Hey. I think you've nailed it. Rather than recycling the old tires put them on your car for the winter. Just have to find some cheap rims to mount them on. $$$$$ ..... it never stops .... :mad: If you never move the car during the winter you could go with four car stands too. I often move my car in/out over the winter to make room for small projects, etc.

Now I will have to ask Keith (Westgate) if the Michelins still crack just being stored in a cold garage and without the weight of a car on them?

Dick

I too have my old 2005 Goodyears on the car for the winter. Still not cracked. I run them the last part of the fall and first thing in the spring. No cracking and I might as well get a few more miles out of them at the same time. We used to have a real mouse problem in our cottage in the winter. It has been several years since we started using the "Bounce" dryer sheets with zero mouse problems. Same with the cars. Moth balls DID NOT keep the mice out of the cars and just stunk everything up. Zero mouse problems in the cars since then as well with Bounce. Other dryer sheets may work too but we stick with what we know works.

I too have my old 2005 Goodyears on the car for the winter. Still not cracked. I run them the last part of the fall and first thing in the spring. No cracking and I might as well get a few more miles out of them at the same time. We used to have a real mouse problem in our cottage in the winter. It has been several years since we started using the "Bounce" dryer sheets with zero mouse problems. Same with the cars. Moth balls DID NOT keep the mice out of the cars and just stunk everything up. Zero mouse problems in the cars since then as well with Bounce. Other dryer sheets may work too but we stick with what we know works.

The bounce sheets is a new trick for me, are using new sheets or are you keeping all the use one over the year and recycle them? Those sheets do smell better than moot balls

I use fresh new sheets and have had zero problems. I read about their effectiveness a few years ago, so we decided to try them in the cottage during the winter. We lay out a box full all around the cottage and the cars as well. I leave some under the seats of the cars year round. They deter mice and smell decent as well. Cheap insurance.
NOW, LETS GET BACK TO THE ISSUE OF CRACKING TIRES. I'm guilt of derailing this thread.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.