This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

tips & tricks

ok bob i see what you're getting at. should be able to rig something viable using a pair of dual wheel trailer tongue jacks. rigged to clamp to the frame rails just like it would on a trailer tongue. depending where they're positioned they might flip up out of the way if necessary. princess auto has a good deal on them from time to time. took me awhile to grasp what you were thinking of, i'm not as quick as i used to be.

In the above photo, it appears that the device is attached through a frame hole, rather than clamped around the frame. Notice the nut at the top.

I imagine the clamp portion of a tongue wheel wouldn't be wide enough, or have enough space between the top and bottom bolts, to fit around the frame rail.

Here's one they sell at Princess Auto...

I wonder if the one in the frame photo was modified to fit through a frame rail hole?

another alternative could be 16" lengths of 6x8 timber built up to the height you need. 4 large swivel dolly wheels and a horseshoe/saddle clamp mounted on top for the frame rails to sit in. i have plenty of experience in constructing "ambulances".

another alternative could be 16" lengths of 6x8 timber built up to the height you need. 4 large swivel dolly wheels and a horseshoe/saddle clamp mounted on top for the frame rails to sit in. i have plenty of experience in constructing "ambulances".

Okay, now we're getting complicated. Maybe I'll just sit the frame on jack stands and offer a few beers when I need to move it.

They have just gone up through the body mount hole in the frame in the picture. Four of these jacks, with an adapter plate, could be bolted through existing bumper bracket holes in the frame front and back. A bare Chevelle frame isn't all that heavy. My son and I carried one in and out of the garage with little effort. We borrowed a small rotisserie setup from a friend The front had a round bar drilled and tapped in the ends and drilled through in the middle for a pivot. It was long enough to fit across the frame with bolts from the outside to hold it. A plate was used in the rear and bolted into existing holes where the middle bumper bracket bolted to the frame. Two stands, tall enough to let the frame rotate, held it all up. It sure was handy, especially when painting the frame.

i got tired of lugging a shop vac around outside. what i did was was install a central vac fitting on the outside of the house. it is protected in a steel utility box painted to match the house trim. the small attachments for computer keyboards and such work nicely for doing the dash etc. i have a dedicated 32 ft hose with an on/off at the nozzle and the whole thing is very convenient, and quiet !!! :seeya:

sometimes you find that the wrench you need is too thick to fit in the space you are working. what i have done on occasion is check through an assortment of old saw and bicycle wrenches and found what i needed. it saves going to the bench grinder with a sacrificial wrench.

garage/yard sales are a good source for tools. sometimes some high quality pieces can be found. i have an assortment of wrenches and sockets etc. that i toss in a box as i aquire them. on occasion you find that you need to alter a tool by grinding, heating and bending, or cutting and welding etc. when that kind of situation arises, i peruse my junk box to see what i can come up with. i always find it very satisfying to make a special tool that works, on my own.

Great advice! A couple years ago I had friends selling their tools for 30% of what they paid for them as they left the mechanic trade. Wish I had the money to pick those up! Garage sales sound great....I'll be on the hunt this Spring!

This ones for all you C6 owners. My friend Greg told me about this so today I took a look myself. Where the rear fender meets the rocker panel it's an open seam and and fills with gravel. First thing is to remove the three screws down the front of the rear fender.

Second, remove the bottom bolt holding on the rear of the fender.

Pull out on the fender from the rear and be prepared for what's going to fall out, I was amazed.

It took a small brush to get all the crud out, but I think it's was well worth the effort to save future problems!
Rob

Finally got around to do the passenger side and the pile was considerably bigger! Yes it was a big surprise how big some of the chunks were. The way the fenders mounted it's impossible to seal up the joint so it looks like it's something else to add to the yearly list.
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread