Nope. Not too expensive, but I'll take a pass.
The laws around tinting headlights and taillights are a mishmash of yes and no from place to place.
Pretty sure it's illegal in Ontario. BC may be different.
I'd be concerned about insurance liability, and the general inconvenience, in case of a rear end collision.

Headlights you are not allowed to use a colored material on. Taillights you can, however the Act stipulates the tail lights must be visible from 150 m and Stop/Turn lights visible from 100 m. I am sure these would be OK.

Update:
If you get stopped, ask the cop to stand 150m behind the car to determine if he/she can see the taillights and when they do: just drive away.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MKinOntario
Headlights you are not allowed to use a colored material on. Taillights you can, however the Act stipulates the tail lights must be visible from 150 m and Stop/Turn lights visible from 100 m. I am sure these would be OK.
Why would one want to reduce the brake lights by ANY amount?? Sorry, it's counter intuitive.

I'm not sure I would want to have that conversation with my insurance company after being rear-ended.
Ya, I was thinking of that too. That could give the rear ender an excuse from following too close also.

I want all my vehicles to have tail lights like some motorcycles do- not kidding. Maybe the idiots won't drive so close!
1692728452710.png

I want all my vehicles to have tail lights like some motorcycles do- not kidding. Maybe the idiots won't drive so close!
I followed an idiot that had a 12 inch high reflective surface (tape?) on his rear end that reflected my headlights back at me. No way I could even follow him!
That's a little dangerous, but I bet it kept tailgaters away!

I followed an idiot that had a 12 inch high reflective surface (tape?) on his rear end that reflected my headlights back at me. No way I could even follow him!
Lol- I won’t go that far!
But it’s crazy how small the C8 brake lights are for the amount of plastic and crap back there!

For the OP JCWP and in case this helps anyone else interested, I installed the rear tint on my current 2023, since the car is black and I wanted to maintain that "blacked-out look". I'm happy with the look, but that's just me. However:

-I checked first to ensure it wasn't so black, it would interfere with visibility for someone behind me. I think the videos show that and I've looked at them after install and think they're fine;
-I didn't do the rear back-up lights (clear "bulb"/lense);
-I also purchased the side marker set.

All from Paragon Performance. Install was +++ easy, as shown in their videos. Fortunately for me, my daughter lives in Chicago so I had everything shipped there, which saved a bunch on shipping, with her bringing them home. Here's what I paid in US dollars back in October of last year (copied from my invoice):

Order Summary​

QTY
PRICE​
Tail light Indicators overlay for C8 Corvette
Choose Color: Dark

Product ID: PP-V0002-DRK - In Stock
1​
$14.95​
Tail light reflectors overlay for C8 Corvette
Choose Color: Dark Tint

Product ID: PP-V0003-DRK - In Stock
1​
$14.95​
Tail light side marker overlay for C8 Corvette
Choose Color: Dark

Product ID: PP-V0001-DRK - In Stock
1​
$7.95​
Subtotal:​
$37.85​
Discount:​
$0.00​
Shipping:​
$6.05​
Sales Tax:​
$0.00​
Total:​
$43.90​

If you look at the video this is not a problem. Clearly very visible. I was amazed.

Considering how everyone has SUVs with even brighter headlights mounted higher... reflective tape sounds like a pretty nice and effective way to back people off you

• Clever
Considering how everyone has SUVs with even brighter headlights mounted higher... reflective tape sounds like a pretty nice and effective way to back people off you
Remember the old commercials for the snow plow trucks with the tail-gunner?
These tints do look nice, but if there ever were an accident, I'd feel rather stupid for reducing the visibility, even if only slightly.

Remember the old commercials for the snow plow trucks with the tail-gunner?
These tints do look nice, but if there ever were an accident, I'd feel rather stupid for reducing the visibility, even if only slightly.
I only drive it when it is sunny. I have a new SUV 4 other days - LOL

You get a pass.
Tint away.
Don't stay out too long - be home before dark!
I'm thinking tinted tail/brake lights would be harder to see in the daylight hours.
Less contrast with daylight, and glare from the sun, etc....

I did this, and I think it looks way better. Passed by lots of cops, no issues ever. It's completely reversible, and is just a plastic cover with 3m tape around it and sticks right onto the light.

Attachments

• PHOTO-2023-06-30-20-52-20.jpg
    PHOTO-2023-06-30-20-52-20.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 14
  • PHOTO-2023-06-30-20-52-13.jpg
    PHOTO-2023-06-30-20-52-13.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 14
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.