Featured Thread

AllFlash

Power User
Jul 25, 2014
Niagara
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Z06
So I have been around for awhile and much apologies to all; it has been much the same with all of the other Forums and FB pages I have a habit of posting in. Last we spoke I was asking questions with respect to building a garage because I was seriously considering buying a house in Bracebridge that had no garage. Mandatory move North for employment and this house was a huge departure from the suburbs of Niagara. I will include a pic or two of the house. As a bit of background, we were lucky to get our hands on a 4-year designer home that was built as a retirement home by a Commercial developer. They had an unfortunate change of heart and I got lucky at the right time getting it for a deep deep discount. It had never been lived in which was the huge plus, not to include all the extras such as custom cut oversized doors to fit all oversized rooms, and many highlights of the home coming from different European countries. We are right on Muskoka River in front and my backyard is hundreds of acres of untouched forest and I have yet to see another in the woods to this day. It is all privately owned and I gained required permissions to 'care for, look after and hunt on'. I had a cow moose and calf bedding down not 100 yards behind the house all winter and seeing wildlife each and every day is normal. best part is I havent a traffic light within 30km of my house.

Now to the garage.... I had asked and was following threads here and thanks much as they helped me with some things. First off, we discovered that I couldn't really go cement base right off as there is a 18x40 boulder that is deeper than 5 feet right smack where the garage has to go and blasting wasn't really an option. The end result was a post and beam construction with 26 posts strategically placed. This is the little bugger that I am stuck with but I am assured it is low enough to be covered when cement goes in after the fact.

So the garage was a bit of a challenge as well as I finding a pre-built design for my needs was impossible. I actually had a designer tell me he didn't think it could be done but soon learned that the right beams in the trusses above takes care of all of that. So... we are 30x40 with inside stairs to a 40x10 second floor. I have 12 ft ceilings inside and you know a lift is going in along with cement. The doors are 3 - 10x10 and I have a porch on the side closest to the house with three 6x3ft windows that were left over from the house. So here she is... today is door and front porch day. Gravel will be in within the week and the front pad of my garage is about 60x40 with about 15 ft clearance around the building.

So....inspection, cement and electrical hopefully by summers end. As for the car... very very hard learning curve. I couldn't find anywhere local so kept it in a tent in back for a month and a half when the weather changed so it was damp in the tent and night and hot during the day = steam. I learned real quick how fast the engines nice silver castings will oxidize and have a bit of work ahead of me there. For now she is in a storage building until this is done...

Last but not least.... this is what I see these days when I walk to the end of my drive...

So.... I hope nobody takes offence because I went so pik heavy after such a long absence... but life in the North can be a bit rough at times.

So I have been around for awhile and much apologies to all; it has been much the same with all of the other Forums and FB pages I have a habit of posting in. Last we spoke I was asking questions with respect to building a garage because I was seriously considering buying a house in Bracebridge that had no garage. Mandatory move North for employment and this house was a huge departure from the suburbs of Niagara. I will include a pic or two of the house. As a bit of background, we were lucky to get our hands on a 4-year designer home that was built as a retirement home by a Commercial developer. They had an unfortunate change of heart and I got lucky at the right time getting it for a deep deep discount. It had never been lived in which was the huge plus, not to include all the extras such as custom cut oversized doors to fit all oversized rooms, and many highlights of the home coming from different European countries. We are right on Muskoka River in front and my backyard is hundreds of acres of untouched forest and I have yet to see another in the woods to this day. It is all privately owned and I gained required permissions to 'care for, look after and hunt on'. I had a cow moose and calf bedding down not 100 yards behind the house all winter and seeing wildlife each and every day is normal. best part is I havent a traffic light within 30km of my house.

View attachment 26879

View attachment 26880

View attachment 26881

View attachment 26882

Now to the garage.... I had asked and was following threads here and thanks much as they helped me with some things. First off, we discovered that I couldn't really go cement base right off as there is a 18x40 boulder that is deeper than 5 feet right smack where the garage has to go and blasting wasn't really an option. The end result was a post and beam construction with 26 posts strategically placed. This is the little bugger that I am stuck with but I am assured it is low enough to be covered when cement goes in after the fact.

View attachment 26883

So the garage was a bit of a challenge as well as I finding a pre-built design for my needs was impossible. I actually had a designer tell me he didn't think it could be done but soon learned that the right beams in the trusses above takes care of all of that. So... we are 30x40 with inside stairs to a 40x10 second floor. I have 12 ft ceilings inside and you know a lift is going in along with cement. The doors are 3 - 10x10 and I have a porch on the side closest to the house with three 6x3ft windows that were left over from the house. So here she is... today is door and front porch day. Gravel will be in within the week and the front pad of my garage is about 60x40 with about 15 ft clearance around the building.

View attachment 26884

View attachment 26885

View attachment 26886

View attachment 26887

View attachment 26888

View attachment 26889

So....inspection, cement and electrical hopefully by summers end. As for the car... very very hard learning curve. I couldn't find anywhere local so kept it in a tent in back for a month and a half when the weather changed so it was damp in the tent and night and hot during the day = steam. I learned real quick how fast the engines nice silver castings will oxidize and have a bit of work ahead of me there. For now she is in a storage building until this is done...

View attachment 26890

Last but not least.... this is what I see these days when I walk to the end of my drive...

View attachment 26891

View attachment 26892

View attachment 26893

View attachment 26894

View attachment 26895

So.... I hope nobody takes offence because I went so pik heavy after such a long absence... but life in the North can be a bit rough at times.

Welcome back Les.

Hey there AllFlash..... congrats on your home purchase and good on you for building the right size garage right from the start! Looks real peaceful there. Im sure you and your car will both be happy when the garage is all done... :Cheers2: Best of "luck" with your new job.

Reactions: AllFlash
if the new job works out you are indeed closer to heaven

thanks for posting, I wondered where my car was. 😃😃

Same job final posting in Orillia. Company actually paid for the move which was a massive savings. See that orange chair in the dock just above the hood of the car on the right side...my dock... I am still keeping her in great shape for ya.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12cents
Les, welcome back. Great looking home not so great looking temporary garage. I wish I had known you were stuck, I would have made room for you in mine. We are not that far apart across Hwy 118, still can make room if you need it.

Car looks great hope you are well. Think I saw you in Orillia last week.

Reactions: AllFlash
And she is coming along... a week or two until we call in the Town for a look... I got real lucky on a few things. First off, I found 97ft of ACW90 XLPE cable in the back shed... That saved me close to a grand for the electrical run from the house. I had to laugh as estimates for this job came in at 2K... so I rented a trencher and was once again lucky in that there was a clear run from the house to the garage...no bedrock. I also just happened to be checking out Kijiji and picked up 3 x 24x60 brand new windows and decided to switch those out with windows I had for the benefit that these open and close. Retail... $1200. Kijiji cost brand new... $400. Few piks...

I am also getting to know the neighbours real well. This guy swam right up to me . not 7 ft away, and sat there for about 10 minutes as we started one another down... notice how still the water is around him.

Les you got enough power to get up that 4" grade? LoL

Looking good, really like the idea of the second floor storage area. :thumbs: I wanted to drive past to see your place on the way back from Bracebridge one day but had no luck. That road goes on forever, maybe I should have gone on forever. :Biggrin:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.