Aug 6, 2017
Calgary
VetteCoins
Car
2017 GS Convertible
Province
AB
We moved last fall and I was finally able to get my garage floor dealt with. The place is a new build but the builder had some very sloppy painters and drywall guys. I have previously had plastic tiles on two prior garages and fined them easy to lay and keep clean. This time I went with the new 12" by 12" Swisstrax solid tiles. Got an excellent price and they arrived in boxes within a few days of ordering. I still have a few things to do to finish the garage but these tiles are awesome. They are so easy to install that Wife and I did them in one day (she did most of the work).
IMG_5380.jpg
IMG_5381.jpg
IMG_5382.jpg

Last edited:
I would love a floor like that, but I have a large crack in the middle of my floor that I assume would not be great to install these over top of…or are they ok for that?
Concrete cracks.
This is not a problem which cannot be overcome.

The crack in the middle of your floor is probably an original shrinkage crack that is no longer moving.
There are all sorts of fancy gauges to verify this, or you could use two painters stir sticks, a bit of tape, and a marker.
Fasten the first on one side of the crack (only) - tape will suffice.
Fasten the second on the opposite side (only).
Ensure the sticks are pushed against each other.
Draw a straight line across the two stir sticks.
If there is any horizontal movement, your line will separate.
This will take a significant temperature change to show up, so make yourself comfortable.

Assuming there is no continued movement, grind a 1/4" x 1/4" key over the crack, then fill with epoxy (you can use a grout if the crack is very large).
Polish the uneven lines with a cup-stone grinder, and you should be good to install your flooring.

If, however, you find the crack is moving substantially (>1/8"), you would have to allow an expansion cut in the flooring directly above the crack.
The tiling companies have movement strips, just for this very purpose.

Get the floor you want - the crack is manageable.

Looks great! Since you're a fellow-Albertan, how about your spouse pay my garage a visit to continue practicing her flooring installation skills; I'm sure she'd want to maintain them (lol). But seriously, my compliments to your (main) installer.
Original Wife of 56 years has been a lifesaver. I have COPD and in the last several months it has gotten worse and the little tube in the picture is my oxygen feed line. I'm okay if I don't exert myself too much but she has been quick to jump in and help build the garage cabinets and lay the floor. I'm sure she would be happy to help you with a floor install in exchange for her taking your nice C8 for a ride.

We moved last fall and I was finally able to get my garage floor dealt with. The place is a new build but the builder had some very sloppy painters and drywall guys. I have previously had plastic tiles on two prior garages and fined them easy to lay and keep clean. This time I went with the new 12" by 12" Swisstrax solid tiles. Got an excellent price and they arrived in boxes within a few days of ordering. I still have a few things to do to finish the garage but these tiles are awesome. They are so easy to install that Wife and I did them in one day (she did most of the work). View attachment 111841View attachment 111842View attachment 111843
Very nice. I'm flip flopping back and forth between getting the floor done with epoxy type of film or getting the solid tules like yours. I have almost 900 sq. ft. so the tiles could be quite a chore. What was the price if you don't mind me asking? Thanks. I've looked at the tiles from Costco and am hesitant as the reviews are so so.

go to their website

ordering direct is best

cheaper better service and direct delivery usually to your door

they are who I would use and will once the stars line up and I get more time this fall from renovations

Reactions: tyho
Very nice. I'm flip flopping back and forth between getting the floor done with epoxy type of film or getting the solid tules like yours. I have almost 900 sq. ft. so the tiles could be quite a chore. What was the price if you don't mind me asking? Thanks. I've looked at the tiles from Costco and am hesitant as the reviews are so so.
I considered a spray on floor product that is supposed to be better than epoxy. Price quoted was $6.50 per square foot plus whatever time and effort required to "prepare" the floor so their warranty would be valid. Even for a new floor they estimated a few hundred $ at minimum. Swisstrax had a price of $5.25 posted on their web site and I was able to get it "on sale". I asked about the posted price and sale price but it seems their price on the web site was out of date. I think you would find them very cooperative on pricing if you gave them a call especially if you need 900 square feet. In total I'm into it for a bit under $2,500 including delivery into my garage.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
A few questions if I may.

When I built my garage we put down a commercial grade epoxy over what may have been too soon over fresh concrete (24' x 36'). It looked beautiful for a while then problems started. The tires, especially the Michelin Pilot Sports started to stick to the finish, back up the car and it would stick to the tires. Eventually parked it on wood so not so great looking anymore! It has been down now for maybe 20 years but flakes off in big sheets. No knock against the product, it was probably more to do with the preparation.

I have thought about the tiles even in a small area for the car. I wonder about a few things with the tiles.

Can you jack on them
Can you put jack stands on them
How do you clean them especially if they get oil on them
Can you clean under them without taking it all apart
Typically I jack the car up in the fall and support it with wood blocks - any issues

Thanks in advance for any input.

• Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
  • I have not tried jacking yet but based on experience with my previous floor I would put a 1/4 inch plywood or OSB under the swivel feet of the jack to be safe. On my previous floor (light color tile in the picture) I did get a small dimple in a tile when jacking Wife's SUV to rotate tires. New tiles (dark color) have a finer grid under base so it should hold up better to jacking and jack stands.
  • Jack stands I will use plywood under the bases.
  • Clean oil with soap and pressure wash dirt with pressure washer or scrub with stiff bristle broom.
  • No need to clean under tiles. They are solid and dirt will stay on top for sweeping or washing. fine mud might get under tiles but on my previous garage the floor was only a bit dirty when I lifted the tiles after 6 years.
  • Wood blocks should not be any problem if they spread the weight over a reasonable area like 6" x 6"
Hope this helps.
IMG_5385.jpg

• No need to clean under tiles. They are solid and dirt will stay on top for sweeping or washing. fine mud might get under tiles but on my previous garage the floor was only a bit dirty when I lifted the tiles after 6 years.
Did you have a winter car parked beside you on the old tiles? I notice there is always a lot of salty water thawing and running all over the garage in the winter. The stuff that gets built up behind the wheels and falls off in the garage. I wonder if that would get under the tiles.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Yes. Wife's SUV would drag in slush and snow in the wheel wells which would melt overnight and drop on the floor. Water would run across the tiles towards the big door and some would seep through the tiny cracks between the tiles and flow towards the big door. I would pick up gravel when it was dry and throw it in the garbage. Each spring would require a good scrub or pressure wash but the tiles stood up quite well. Picture is when we were selling and the tiles had been down for 6 years. Remember that I use solid tiles not the ribbed ones that allow water to flow through them.
A2002605_10.jpg
A2002605_9.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.