Invite him along.... Not the first stang that has tagged along... Somebuddy has a buddy that shows up every year at the Ponoka Meet and Greet with his cobra mustang... We welcome pony cars too... Assuming @Dale124 doesn't mind a stang crashing his meet... ;)
Super guy and loves anything cool and quick regardless of the brand We were actually thinking of taking in the mud bog in Rimbey.

This meet initially suggested for supporting this business this Saturday is a relaxed open invite at 10am extended for Corvettes via FB and CCF.
Unlike what I experienced with a Mopar bunch at this place last Saturday, I know we are most welcoming of other makes being driven in to meet (even if with a Hummer - if he was in the Country 😇).
All is good and non-discriminant and I look forward to seeing those who are there 😁👍🏻
There may likely be a road journey extending to another establishment from here for anyone able and comfortable to join ...
this will surely be a day of well needed enjoyment and humour.
I am looking forward to finally getting to meet @Dale124 too.
Thanks for the “push” to make this day happen. 👍🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: Dantanman
This meet initially suggested for supporting this business this Saturday is a relaxed open invite at 10am extended for Corvettes via FB and CCF. Unlike what I experienced with a Mopar bunch at this place last Saturday, I know we are most welcoming of other makes being driven in to meet (even if with a Hummer - if he was in the Country 😇). All is good and non-discriminant and I look forward to seeing those who are there 😁👍🏻
There may likely be a road journey extending to another establishment from here for anyone able and comfortable to join ... it will surely be a day of well needed enjoyment and humour.
I am looking forward to finally getting to meet @Dale124 too. Thanks for the “push” to make this day happen. 👍🏻
I have experienced the "Mopar or No Car" atmosphere. Although I have enjoyed owning some classic chryco muscle cars in the past, the "enthusiasm" can be a little overboard. I guess it's okay to be partial to a brand. It never made sense to me to ignore the fact that there are many amazing cars to be appreciated regardless of brand. Heck I get razzed all the time being a Ford dealer driving a Corvette. It's what I do, not who I am :)

This meet initially suggested for supporting this business this Saturday is a relaxed open invite at 10am extended for Corvettes via FB and CCF. Unlike what I experienced with a Mopar bunch at this place last Saturday, I know we are most welcoming of other makes being driven in to meet (even if with a Hummer - if he was in the Country 😇). All is good and non-discriminant and I look forward to seeing those who are there 😁👍🏻
There may likely be a road journey extending to another establishment from here for anyone able and comfortable to join ... it will surely be a day of well needed enjoyment and humour.
I am looking forward to finally getting to meet @Dale124 too. Thanks for the “push” to make this day happen. 👍🏻

Awe, Thanks Spence. I look forward to meeting you too!! I just saw your Facebook post on the Alberta Corvette Group. It looks like a few more will be coming from that group as well.
I am hopefully going to be a bit early, as I hate being late for anything, and also want to park and watch for others to arrive, so if you see a goofy looking bald guy standing next to a yellow C7, that is likely me :p .Come and say HI!

Little history of the Donut Mill and Gasoline Alley or as Spence calls it, "the Red Deer Mile".
When I came to Red Deer, about the only thing in Gasoline Alley was Lou's Esso service station and coffee shop. Glenn Simon was the cook in the coffee shop/restaurant portion(owned by his dad Cy), of the Esso. Shortly after, the Esso was re-modelled and the restaurant was dropped. Glenn then borrowed money and built Glenns Family restaurant with his wife Jessie, and his daughter Cindy and her husband all working there. A true family establishment. Their staff tells a story of Glenns as well with one waitress having been there 37 years now. The young waiter and waitress kids have only been there about 18 years. lol...Just about all the Red Deer old timers and farmers still partake regularly at Glenns, although waiting in the lobby for a table is a regular occurrence now with many passer by's on the highway.. A few years later, he built the Donut Mill, and the Tea Pot next door for his daughter Cindy. Both also became extremely popular and a part of the family's success story. Glenn and his family are pretty well known and very well respected here and they have always been an integral part of Gasoline alley community association, which Glenn started many years ago. Whether a meal, donuts, or over 240 varieties of teas from all over the world, you can have it all at these three establishments.

Little history of the Donut Mill and Gasoline Alley or as Spence calls it, "the Red Deer Mile".
When I came to Red Deer, about the only thing in Gasoline Alley was Lou's Esso service station and coffee shop. Glenn Simon was the cook in the coffee shop/restaurant portion(owned by his dad Cy), of the Esso. Shortly after, the Esso was re-modelled and the restaurant was dropped. Glenn then borrowed money and built Glenns Family restaurant with his wife Jessie, and his daughter Cindy and her husband all working there. A true family establishment. Their staff tells a story of Glenns as well with one waitress having been there 37 years now. The young waiter and waitress kids have only been there about 18 years. lol...Just about all the Red Deer old timers and farmers still partake regularly at Glenns, although waiting in the lobby for a table is a regular occurrence now with many passer by's on the highway.. A few years later, he built the Donut Mill, and the Tea Pot next door for his daughter Cindy. Both also became extremely popular and a part of the family's success story. Glenn and his family are pretty well known and very well respected here and they have always been an integral part of Gasoline alley community association, which Glenn started many years ago. Whether a meal, donuts, or over 240 varieties of teas from all over the world, you can have it all at these three establishments.
I am taking only word-of-mouth that we could be in jeopardy of losing what many take for granted.
Among many, the Doughnut Mill came up as an example of being iconic in a recent business group conversation
I had and is why I brought this topic up. Regardless - this is a good reason for Corvettes to gather.
We have seen so many small businesses all of the sudden shut down without even a hint of struggle - although
we can pretty much assume that of many right now. So I am happy for this event for the Doughnut Mill tomorrow.

I will take no credit for the naming of "the Highway Mile" - perhaps slang as I do now see a rather nice arch
with "Gasoline Alley" as one enters from the North. No idea where the Highway Mile came from other than
perhaps some establishments don't sell gasoline. I don't know but I do know where it is by either name.

Very cool story, love to hear about good hard working successful families!

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents and YFCvii
I'm in. Do we have a departure location and time from Calgary yet?
We are heading out at about 8:15 and will be entering Hwy 2 North to Airdrie
North Bridge of Cross Iron Mill about 9am for the 1 hour trek North to Airdrie.
Depending on time we could be Cross Iron Mill to Airdrie in the 9am range.
No real launch location ... I will PM my mobile number to you

I am taking only word-of-mouth that we could be in jeopardy of losing what many take for granted.
Among many, the Doughnut Mill came up as an example of being iconic in a recent business group conversation
I had and is why I brought this topic up. Regardless - this is a good reason for Corvettes to gather.
We have seen so many small businesses all of the sudden shut down without even a hint of struggle - although
we can pretty much assume that of many right now. So I am happy for this event for the Doughnut Mill tomorrow.

I will take no credit for the naming of "the Highway Mile" - perhaps slang as I do now see a rather nice arch
with "Gasoline Alley" as one enters from the North. No idea where the Highway Mile came from other than
perhaps some establishments don't sell gasoline. I don't know but I do know where it is by either name.

For many years back in the day, newcomers to Alberta thought Red Deer was only a gas station and a restaurant along the highway. Some Hwy 2 travelers may still think that, lol. Possibly that's where the highway mile name originated. As the only gasoline stop along the highway for 300 km back in the day when the old Hwy 2A was the only decent road from Edmonton to Calgary, the Gasoline alley name has been around for quite some time.

For many years back in the day, newcomers to Alberta thought Red Deer was only a gas station and a restaurant along the highway. Some Hwy 2 travelers may still think that, lol. Possibly that's where the highway mile name originated. As the only gasoline stop along the highway for 300 km back in the day when the old Hwy 2A was the only decent road from Edmonton to Calgary, the Gasoline alley name has been around for quite some time.
Ya ... in my youth I was pretty much a drive-by tourist in the back seat.
I thought the place made and sold Potato Chips and "the Driver"
of the vehicle I was in just wouldn't stop :mad:

Reactions: Rruuff Day
hahaha...I had a buddy from NS that moved out here to Edmonton for work in the 70's. When I told him I was moving to Red Deer, he said 'there's nothing there except a gas station on the highway'. At that time, unless you swung off the highway into town, you couldn't see any development so many did not realize there was a city. I think the population was around 39,000 when I got here.

Very much appreciated, my cell is

Just a reminder for everyone. This is a public forum and our members are all stand up people...I hope. But we get about 25,000 hits per month from guests, and any number of spam bots that surf the site. When you post a cell number, email address, SIN, bank account, whatever, It's out there for anyone and anything. We highly recommend only using private message function to keep your personal data out of unwanted hands.

bring ten and twenty dollar bills,
might bring 27 trinkets for sale, first come first serve
was going to sell them on the cruise but some won’t be there
not sure what to do, trinkets are a secret but never seen before items,
do I like the cruise folks better or make sure I hit a larger market, but maybe that leaves
not many for the cruise folks,
what to do

We don't make a habit of editing other member's posts unless it goes against rules. Many (for some reason) don't care if their private info is not private. We prefer to advise and let the member decide if he wants to edit it out himself. We will certainly assist if requested.

Hey Spence. I see you nuked your post.I was going to say I am familiar with your relatives. Have met one of the girls. We have mutual friends with her family. Brenda knows several of them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread