This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

The Forgotten Fluid

Riley P

Staff member
Power User
Jan 11, 2009
Saska-ba-toon!
VetteCoins
Car
2000 Z51
Province
SK
Who has changed their Power Steering Fluid?

I've looked at mine a few times and doubt it has been changed in 14 years. And I never hear of a recommendation of how often to change it AND there is no drain plug so I assume you just rip off a line to drain it???

Thoughts?

When I rebuilt the '72 Lemans Sport, the power steering pump was leaking a little. I am wary of snake oil treatments but figured, why not. All they actually do is swell up the dried out seals. Like Doug's, it worked and never leaked again in the few years that we had the car on the road. I suppose you could suck the reservoir dry and refill it once in a while. It isn't very high on my worry list.

The only thing I ever noticed was with my '85 S15 a couple years ago during winter. The steering would get really heavy on very cold days. I pulled fluid from the reservior and refilled it a few times and it helped a bit but it really needed to be drained and refilled.
Now that I am putting a V6 in the old truck, I won't have to think about changing it for another 20+ years!

Many issue on GM p/s on police cars where fixed whit a GM p/s fluid rated for lower temp. If you need I can supply the part number, just valid whit the dealer for the application.

Hey Boss! Thanks for the offer. I found thinner AC Delco fluid at a local shop but was worried about it being too thin for use in summer so I stuck with the normal fluid. Do you know the max temp allowed for the thinner stuff?

Sorry for the delay, kind of busy whit the winter tire season (mandatory in Quebec). The fluid I use in GM cars is AC DELCO part number 10953471 for a 1 litre bottle, it is a cold climate power steering fluid. The Imapala's ad the ''hard steering by cold weather issue''. Most of them where cure whit a p/s flush whit this product. We tried p/s flush whit regular fluid in the past whit much less good result. I never experience any problems in hot weather in any cars after filling them whit this fluid.

Stephane :seeya: