Featured Thread
... direct calling to the manager does help ... one-on-one works all the time in business (virtual is good for budgeting and finding the price to negotiate from).
end of May/begin of June is the sweet spot as most are not quite ready to spend their "big bucks" yet (and the hotels do understand that). A 20-25 room grab would be a "jack pot" very hard to turn down for the manager "who gets it"! Although outta Alberta, the BC destination to Radium Area sounds great too...

When Jeff and I went the weekend before they said to call them next time on a 20-25 room booking. maybe we could get the $339 room for around $300

the extra $40-50 in gas to go to Invermere / Radium / Golden makes the $300 down to $250.

We didn't know 23/24 Corvettes and owners would be attending.

Now, we know this is popular.

late May could risk snow....... too early

First weekend in June could be a maybe...

B

I have cousins born in Edmonton. But my uncle was active duty Air Force and they came here to get away from Alberta and the military at Cold Lake and CFB Suffield that is now mostly British army. So never had a need to check out Alberta or purpose to do so I guess. Most of my travels have been tooo America, outside of maybe Montreal a few times when I lived in Toronto.

When Jeff and I went the weekend before they said to call them next time on a 20-25 room booking. maybe we could get the $339 room for around $300

the extra $40-50 in gas to go to Invermere / Radium / Golden makes the $300 down to $250.

B
... maybe try to negotiate harder than that ... 25-30% discounts at minimum ... with a Manager (not a desk clerk)
unless a Manager speculates 25 rooms to go to those driving off the highway on a whim ...
if that's the case I would respect that for sure (but it means a park pass for these people too!)
... opening admit to a "Manager" that we are considering Radium & Golden for them to complete
... avoid admitting our fear of "snow" and "rocks" to the Hotel Manager

(background for this is that I am always amazed at "package pricing" even with, although completely unrelated to our cruising, a WestJet Vacation pricing on their own airfare ... by just adding a one night stay in a hotel in the package - six nights anywhere else - even with a relative - the one night we stay near the airport for ease of the flight home)

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Ray
When Lake Louise is sold out all summer I would think more would not happen.

But open to see what they say.

If they do 2 day weekend bookings now that changes everything too.

B
agreed ...
I would hope it would be seen that an increased group-rate "out-of-season" price negotiation
is not to be influenced by the non-group "in-season" prices and bookings ... otherwise we can
contently go to Invermere/Radium/Fairmont after a gas-up & "relief break" in Lake Louise
(that is if we just do decide to go into BC regardless) :)
... is it time to go yet :Woot: ... :Shifty:

Last edited:
Yes, Lake Louise is central to all of us....... Paul says Banff is too busy for 20 of us to find parking and so on... he kinda stays out of Banff.

I think a Corvette drive down main street Banff is good to do and someone with a video camera doing video of all the Corvettes in the center road island ( or side ) with the main street view and mountains in the background... an idea I would like to see happen.

Paul and I will chat more and then I will post some stuff and ask for feedback and polls on next year.

B
Hey Brian. A call to Banff town works office could be in order. Maybe if there was enough of us,we could have a lot “given” to us for a few hours. Or a section of Banff ave. They’ve taken Banff ave street parking away a few years ago but maybe an exception could be made.

"Plan B" - May 26 check in with May 27 check out - Lake Louise Inn is available ... appears to be very similar pricing as last year and Manager appeared approachable for a group rate

... but BC might be best for "plan A"

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Hey Brian. A call to Banff town works office could be in order. Maybe if there was enough of us,we could have a lot “given” to us for a few hours. Or a section of Banff ave. They’ve taken Banff ave street parking away a few years ago but maybe an exception could be made.

good idea.

might look into it.

I can send then the LL Inn picture of all us together....

Spence, I am predicting it will snow May 26th/27th ;) haha..... that is too soon.

The lakes were still frozen during our first weekend of June. Morriane Lake road might just open around then.

Bow Lake is amazing with the colors and we seen ice.

That kinda disappointed me as I flew my girlfriend here to see all these amazing lakes and they were just breaking up.

Late May is too early.... for the mountains and sports cars.

I will throw more ideas around with Paul and post here in 2-4 weeks surveys and ideas.

B

Last edited:
Reactions: Riley P
Spence, I am predicting it will snow May 26th/27th ;) haha..... that is too soon
B
We were fortunate last year for us cost-of-accommodation cheap a$$e$
:greedy:
(for weather - not rock removal)
who have to also compromise with "white solid" versus "blue liquid" back ground lake shots ...
What does the 2018 Farmers' Almanac have to say?
all I have is an Urban Calgary Community News Magazine
:Pistolsmiley:

... don't get me wrong ... I'm good with the what's decided ...​

Last edited:
We were fortunate last year for us cost-of-accommodation cheap a$$e$ ...
What does the 2018 Farmers' Almanac have to say? :angelic:

Not sure....

I would rather spend $100 more for one night and have 21-27 temps then 3-15 temps

We lucked out ( I picked a great weekend - less the ice on the lakes ) . that avalanche from snow control closed the one road we did for week or more.

B

wow, I'm not on the forum for a couple of days and the action that happens! The second weekend in June I suggest is a no go. It always rains or sno$$ on that weekend because of the Rocky Mountain House Rodeo! Been there, done that! The loop to Radium and then south and back north to Golden as a return sounds like it might be fun also. Brian I'll give you a call!

Reactions: 2009CGMZR1
Not sure....

I would rather spend $100 more for one night and have 21-27 temps then 3-15 temps

We lucked out ( I picked a great weekend - less the ice on the lakes ) . that avalanche from snow control closed the one road we did for week or more.
B

Agreed Brian. We lucked in to good driving weather last year....Early June in the mountains is always hit or miss....

Reactions: 2009CGMZR1
wow, I'm not on the forum for a couple of days and the action that happens! The second weekend in June I suggest is a no go. It always rains or sno$$ on that weekend because of the Rocky Mountain House Rodeo! Been there, done that! The loop to Radium and then south and back north to Golden as a return sounds like it might be fun also. Brian I'll give you a call!

Do that please... I have some ideas.

B

I think it was the 3rd week in June last year for the run. Great weather in June for the mountains.

Yes, Lake Louise is central to all of us....... Paul says Banff is too busy for 20 of us to find parking and so on... he kinda stays out of Banff.

I think a Corvette drive down main street Banff is good to do and someone with a video camera doing video of all the Corvettes in the center road island ( or side ) with the main street view and mountains in the background... an idea I would like to see happen.

Paul and I will chat more and then I will post some stuff and ask for feedback and polls on next year.

B

Fairmont is also close by if heading to Radium. For puttting our heads down for a night. ??

B

IT'S A GAMBLE!!!
Its always a chance that we have snow in any mountain area mid May - mid June. But i've golfed in Panorama( Grey Wolf is on the base of the ski hill, for those that don't know this) and in the valley of Radium ( Eagle Ranch etc. ) at both times. We lucked out both times. Its a chance we took.
We have it booked but are able to cancel up to 48hrs before. As long as we we have that option to do so. I say plan for a early cruise like this. As it is usually cheaper and less busy.
Any thoughts on doing during the week if all can do. Or at least a day or two. For example Leave Thursday or Friday instead of Saturday. Make it a 2-3 day cruise. Only if the majority are able too. Or the ones that can't make it earlier. Just meet up with the earlier group on Saturday then cruise back Sunday going home kinda thing. Cause some peolpe may all cruise together on first day then leave early anyways.
Just a thought. Its always gamble on when its booked that it will work out in out favour. Then we rebook for next year and so on. AND its always hard to please EVERYONE. I know how much planning this takes as i've done a few myself. Some work out some don't.
P.S. Thanks for those that do any planning. It brings us together quite well with great memories and fun.

Last edited:
Sorry, been away from here for 5 days..... busy

I have not talked to Paul yet.

I will post a 2018 Mountain Cruise thread with surveys and idea's and here what feedback people have. Should have it posted by early January. It won't be what is happening... just what people want and like for some of the idea's in my head. I am off work the last week in December so maybe post it around then.

I will also price out a few hotels blocking 18-25 rooms in a few area's.

More to come.

Brian

Reactions: YFCvii
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.