Regular
You're 5
Nov 27, 2017
Surrey BC
VetteCoins
Car
1987 Corvette coupe,
Hi all,
My next project brings me to my cracked top.

I've been looking around, and seeing how expensive replacement is, or having the top sent in and redone. So thought why not Carbon Fibre?

It's probably not an original idea, but structurally a good one as far as I figure. It looks like my top was at one point dropped on the corner and cracks and crazing ensued.Previous owner had a black rubber like tape over it, but it looked terrible, not to mention, blocking half the sun. So I bit the bullet and took it all off and took a peek.
I used the flow-able silicone for glass repair, but it looks bad. Not happy with it.

So after thinkin maybe Plasti-dip....maybe...then boom! Carbon Fibre pops in my head, and I think it would look boss and havent seen one done in it yet. No black base coat just go clear and I am hoping to get a bit of sunlight thru.

So, fellow members, has anyone done this before?

I will post pics of the repair. when I do it. Fibre Tech in Burnaby says 50 bucks for a yard of fibre cloth. Plus resin and supplies Im hoping to get away with a quality job within a hundred bucks, give r take 20 bucks.

Darrell..
I say go for it.
You really don’t have too much to loose.
Have you played with cloth/resins before?
Give us some before/after pics... maybe even some ‘durings’ if you have a helper.

I’m going to hang around here to see what you create.
Graham

Darrell this is a very good idea. Anything carbon fibre has my interest. :Biggrin:

There is lots of youtube vids on laying carbon fibre so you should be able to get good advice and ideas for resins and matting as well as the vacuum set up if you go that way. A roof panel actually would be very doable from what I've seen on the vids. The vac set up is really fred flintstone for tech so I think you could do it relatively easily. Clear jumbo garbage bag and shop vac type thing. Laying the weave will be the challenging part it think as the guys go on and on about handling the cloth and lining up the weave.

This will be an exciting post to watch. Really looking forward to seeing the process.

As Graham said.... you have nothing to lose so why the heck not give it a try. I think it will look great if you pull it off.

Derek

Darrell..
I say go for it.
You really don’t have too much to loose.
Have you played with cloth/resins before?
Give us some before/after pics... maybe even some ‘durings’ if you have a helper.

I’m going to hang around here to see what you create.
Graham
Hey Graham!
Thanks, and yes I have an extensive composites background. I worked as a Plastics Tech for Boeing Winnipeg, and did pre-preg lay up for the company Im with now. Don't know why I didnt think of it before lol!!! Stay tuned!

Darrell this is a very good idea. Anything carbon fibre has my interest. :Biggrin:

There is lots of youtube vids on laying carbon fibre so you should be able to get good advice and ideas for resins and matting as well as the vacuum set up if you go that way. A roof panel actually would be very doable from what I've seen on the vids. The vac set up is really fred flintstone for tech so I think you could do it relatively easily. Clear jumbo garbage bag and shop vac type thing. Laying the weave will be the challenging part it think as the guys go on and on about handling the cloth and lining up the weave.

This will be an exciting post to watch. Really looking forward to seeing the process.

As Graham said.... you have nothing to lose so why the heck not give it a try. I think it will look great if you pull it off.

Derek
Hi Derek!
Yes Im very stoked about starting this project. Im going to leave it gloss black as the current top has a black tint and black and blue go anyway. Savings are substantial!!
Stayed tuned!!

D

Reactions: ddgermann
Hi Derek!
Yes Im very stoked about starting this project. Im going to leave it gloss black as the current top has a black tint and black and blue go anyway. Savings are substantial!!
Stayed tuned!!

D

With your background and skill set this should be a very good result. Had I known I would not have preached the university of YouTube to you Darrell.. haha
You may become super popular on here quick if this comes out the way you want it. Hell im already tinkering with the idea of laying this on the roof of my Z. I was considering getting the exposed carbon fibre top for it... but now... see what I mean. :Biggrin:
Imagine how this could be customized with a logo in there etc...

Yes this is a great thread indeed.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
With your background and skill set this should be a very good result. Had I known I would not have preached the university of YouTube to you Darrell.. haha
You may become super popular on here quick if this comes out the way you want it. Hell im already tinkering with the idea of laying this on the roof of my Z. I was considering getting the exposed carbon fibre top for it... but now... see what I mean. :Biggrin:
Imagine how this could be customized with a logo in there etc...

Yes this is a great thread indeed.
Thanks Derek!
Been thinking about a few things:
Overall panel thickness after Carbon Fibre layup and resin coats-vs edge molding. Might be an issue.
So I was thinking using a spray glue for tacking the 1st and only fibre layer, then adding 3 resin coats, and cutting and buffing it out after clear coating with an acrylic.
Also I thought of doing a reverse mold, as a master, and saving it. I can always do additional tops if it turns out nice. This would mean doing a lens gut and replacement, but now im thinking 3 to 4 layers with alternating warp directions on the tweed would give the rigidity, and prob more than a factory panel im thinning..

As far as the emblem, that would be an easy do. It can be hung in between the clear coat top coats of final layup. Prob lay a decal after the 2nd or 3rd clear, and do maybe 2 to 3 maybe 4 coats to give a floating look or 3d effect. The possibilities would be endless really as to what could go in there, personalization takes over there bud!

thoughts anyone??????

I've pretty much decided I'm going both directions on this.....I think I'm going to lay fibre over top existing glass, but before that I believe in going to try making a mold and doing a pure carbon fibre layup and using that lens as a replacement for a rainy day. I think if it turns out nice I can make some for our members at a fraction of the cost. plus wih with this logo thing will be interesting to say the least!!!

Reactions: ddgermann
Uploaded via Android app.jpg

Heres the current state of disrepair lol, I have found that acetone is used as a cement for acrylic, I seem to remember this from years ago. SO, i'm going to use it in a hypo needle to dispense it in the cracks and get the surface nice and level. I picked up some 5 minute, 2 part, sand-able epoxy, for the bad areas. Im hoping to have a nice surface to lay up afterwards. stay tuned all!!!
D

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.