1721157480852.png

Reactions: Vettenut
Mice can get into any car. All they need is an opening the size of a dime.
My brother had a C4 vette, stored it in his garage every year, did not use anything to deter them.
One year, he was driving his vette during the rain and it suddenly stalled in the middle of traffic.
Everytime he drove in the rain, the car would stall, culprit were mice that chewed all the insulation on the wiring...was a nightmare.
Jesus H !!!

Take the beater to the storage unit, pick up Vette. Drive the Vette back to storage, drive beater home...
Sure .... between driving nails and fresh paint on my designer shorts .... I'll be investing in paint thinner to clean the seats ... that oil based Kilz is a bitch to get out ... but it's a great primer ! :D

Question about storage for all the beautiful people ........ any thoughts would be greatly appreciated !

Gonna start my mega garage build ... It will fit 3 cars about just under 1000 sq.ft. so that means the Vette will go into storage ...

Storage unit has no outlet ... so should I ....

1. Park it as is ... go and start it periodically ( the storage facility is very close to where I live )

2. Park it ... pull the battery and put it on trickle charge at home .

3. Park it as is and forget about it ( doubt that would be any good )

Im thinking to pull the battery ... and leave it ... it will probably sit for several months ... would that affect the car in any way ?

Again .. any thoughts or creative ideas would be greatly appreciated !
Been storing cars and motorcycles for over 50 years and agree completely with Murray. There are lots of amateur theories out there, most of which are not founded in facts. Many of us are also a bit compulsive when it comes to storing our motorized toys. I have had factory service manuals from decades ago and they don't recommend a whole lot. The manuals from the 60s and 70s often recommended taking weight off tires but that is no longer a recommendation in service manuals as modern tires don't readily "flat spot" and when they do it will normalize with a 5-10 km drive. In your case I would probably take the battery home and put it on a good quality battery maintainer and I would also change the oil prior to storage if it has more than a couple of thousand km on it. DO NOT periodically start the engine. At idle in the winter the C8 engine oil will almost never come up to full operating temperature. The water gets up to temp quickly but not the oil. Good luck!

Been storing cars and motorcycles for over 50 years and agree completely with Murray. There are lots of amateur theories out there, most of which are not founded in facts. Many of us are also a bit compulsive when it comes to storing our motorized toys. I have had factory service manuals from decades ago and they don't recommend a whole lot. The manuals from the 60s and 70s often recommended taking weight off tires but that is no longer a recommendation in service manuals as modern tires don't readily "flat spot" and when they do it will normalize with a 5-10 km drive. In your case I would probably take the battery home and put it on a good quality battery maintainer and I would also change the oil prior to storage if it has more than a couple of thousand km on it. DO NOT periodically start the engine. At idle in the winter the C8 engine oil will almost never come up to full operating temperature. The water gets up to temp quickly but not the oil. Good luck!
Regarding the “ manuals no longer recommend “
From GM . In the owners manual.
Vehicle Storage
Tires age when stored normally mounted on
a parked vehicle. Park a vehicle that will be
stored for at least a month in a cool, dry,
clean area away from direct sunlight to slow
aging. This area should be free of grease,
gasoline, or other substances that can
deteriorate rubber.
Parking for an extended period can cause
flat spots on the tires that may result in
vibrations while driving. When storing a
vehicle for at least a month, remove the
tires or raise the vehicle to reduce the weight from the tires.
Just saying….

As for engine oil… I was at a Mobil 1 Tech Talk last weekend and the engineer said it’s better to store your car with clean oil.
Ya, That's so accepted that I forgot to mention it. Change the oil before nap time. No need to run the car much after that since one should always change the oil while the engine is hot. Something I bet dealerships don't do.