I watched a YouTube video then bought a fabric pen and changed the white stitching to yellow to match the yellow seat belts and the accelerate yellow paint . I was surprised how easy a job this was .
Beware Yellow!

I used the same Marvy Uchida and since the stitching is a bit gray , at least on the 2020, not pure white. That mixed with yellow ended up as a muddy greeny gray yellow. Looked bad. Fortunately I only tried it on the carpet mats and inconspicuous spot on car, and washed it off immediately.

Trying to dye yellow is no bueno. Not even close to factory yellow stitch. I too have yellow seat belts, and love them.

Reactions: Vettenut
Beware Yellow!

I used the same Marvy Uchida and since the stitching is a bit gray , at least on the 2020, not pure white. That mixed with yellow ended up as a muddy greeny gray yellow. Looked bad. Fortunately I only tried it on the carpet mats and inconspicuous spot on car, and washed it off immediately.

Trying to dye yellow is no bueno. Not even close to factory yellow stitch. I too have yellow seat belts, and love them.
Yea ... yellow would probably be too light to get the proper effect .... the best results I think would come with red as its such a dominant color to begin with ....

Orange seems to work pretty well too

Oh if these were the only problems in the world ... we'd be in great shape ;)

Reactions: carbuff
I watched a YouTube video then bought a fabric pen and changed the white stitching to yellow to match the yellow seat belts and the accelerate yellow paint . I was surprised how easy a job this was .

Beware Yellow!

My yellow marvy did a great job , since I ordered black interior with grey seats , GM wouldn’t allow the yellow stitching option . My stitching looked white to me and it’s a beautiful yellow. I’m very pleased with the outcome.

Reactions: vacek
The darker colors like red and orange do look very nice when done.

Not sure if the stitching changed over the years, but “white” in our 2020 is actually a very light gray. Not clean white. The darker colored pens mask that well.

Ok so here's the details .... I did a lot of research first, so the pens used along with the process was tried and tested by many vette owners before me.

Firstly, make sure you know that if you attempt this, IT IS NOT REVERSABLE. You are literally dying the stitching another color. If you meant to do orange, and started with pink, you got pink for what was done ;) PICK THE RIGHT COLOR !!!

The "Fabric Markers" i used were exactly the following: Marvy Uchida # 522 (#7 orange). I ordered 5 of them, and I used 4 in total, which included busting one open to take out the felt inner and used for the hard to get places .. I have one left for any touchups if needed. $16.90 usd all in ...

The entire, tedious, process took 7 hours start to finish. 3 separate sessions as occasionally i felt like i was going cross-eyed. Put the roof down, to give you as much light as possible.

As mentioned above, it is as simple as colouring a 6-12" stretch at a time, getting some on the leather is just fine as there is a grace period of approx 1 minute to wipe it down and get any excess outside the stitching. Might be a tad longer but I felt that colouring stitching and immediately wiping it off in 5 seconds, did in fact wipe some off the stitching as well. So for me, optimal seemed to be 50-60 seconds. which gave time for the dye to soak into the stitches a little, and ample time to wipe everything and get off the excess easily. A few places I went over the stitching 2 times, just to darken it down a little.

Overall it is really just a time consuming process, yes there are a couple places on the dash that are VERY hard to get too .. but I found taking the guts (foam stick inside marker) of one marker and cutting a .5" long piece of it, with a latex glove on, and wiping that on the hard to get stitches then wiping excess really simplified it. The pen just will not reach some of them at all.

When I was done, I offered my 10 year old daughter $20 if she could find ANY white stitching or spots that i missed that stood out .... the $20 is still firmly in my pocket :cool:

Fire away with any questions .. happy to answer. I'm VERY happy with the end result.

View attachment 125093

View attachment 125098

View attachment 125095

View attachment 125096

View attachment 125097

View attachment 125099

View attachment 125094

View attachment 125100
Nice but like you said , we need patience and I have none , so...

Users who are viewing this thread