WildWilly55

Regular
2 You're 10
Feb 17, 2009
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Z-51 Coupe
Had flown down to Kentucky on Wednesday---came home Friday (my birthday)--thought I would get out a little early and go home to shower up. Key in the ignition --the dreaded "Steering Column Lock" comes up on my display--BEGGER!!! Phoned Manny (of course!!) He had a bypass relay at his place. Went back next morning and it fired right up--no steering locked or anything---straight to Manny's place---Rob and himself where fixing other vehicles as usual. Installed in 15 minutes---No more problems!!!--Thanx guys!!!!!:canada:

Awesome! Glad you got it fixed so quickly. This problem had my car stuck in the garage for 3 weeks last year until I finally ordered the CLB and installed it. Very much recommended for anyone suffering from this issue.

Glad you got her fixed, I never had a column lock issue but decided to purchase the bypass
kit off the net and
install it anyways for good measure, glad I did when you heard all the stories and it always happends when
you do not expect it.

Exactly---when I bought the car in the US 2 years ago--it was on the recall that the wiring harness had been replaced---so I never gave it another thought! Until last Friday as soon as I saw the code come up I thought "Oh boy here we go!!"----so the moral of the story is "Go see Manny and get the Bypass installed before your car leaves you stranded!!!":driving:

The problem is that there is a glitch where the computer thinks that the steering column is locked when you have the key on and it is not really locked.

GM had issues with a few steering columns locking while people were driving their cars so they had a recall done. To the best of my knowledge, this involved disabling the pin that locks the steering wheel, installing a wiring harness (K-harness, because it is shaped like a K) that does something else and programing the ECM to cut fuel to the engine should it think that the steering column is locked when the key is on and the car is traveling over 2mph.

The has left many people stranded and has been blamed on things such as a low battery, etc. When this happened to me I tried pulling fuse #25, waiting 10 minutes, putting it back in, pulling fuse #10 and waiting, disconnecting the battery and charging it up, blah, blah, blah. The best thing to do is to order and CLB or Column Bypass Lock from Corvettes of Houston. This eliminates the K-harness that GM put in during the recall and sends a signal to the computer to tell it everything is great with the column when start your car. I also had a tuner increase the 2mph fuel cut off to 256mph so that if the CLB ever failed and I got this error code again, I would not be stranded.

Thanks for being so nice with my smart-ass answer.

Sounds like you have a some good stuff going. Could you take pictures of the install of the nav deck and bezel? I'm sure we have a few people interested in seeing that.

I'm am an easy going guy :) so some smart remark isn't going to get me going LOL

Once I get it, 100% i'll take a pic .. i got some from the guy showing the bezel modified, and it looks so sweet!! he can customize it anyway you want, gauges, anything. looks factory, or, you can get leather, carbonfibre etc..

I went for the factory look

[mob][/mob]I put the nav deck in, just waiting on the bezel. I also put in the jbl stealth sub and hid my amp :)

Also changed out the door 3.5 speaker to give a cleaner sound :) so much better!
[mob][/mob]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread