New owner here and curious to know if I need to avoid at all cost or back out from streets with speed bumps.

My 5.0 bottoms out on big / high speed bumps but 95% are okay.

C8 is much lower ground clearance and don’t want to learn the hard way if it can’t take them at all.

Thanks in advance!
Try a few and find out. Speed bumps are like snowflakes, no two are identical. If they were, auto manufacturers could design their cars and suspensions around them.

• Agree
Reactions: Vettenut and KTJF
Try a few and find out. Speed bumps are like snowflakes, no two are identical. If they were, auto manufacturers could design their cars and suspensions around them.
no, there are specifications and standards for speed bumps that make sure that 99% of factory ride cars will not be damaged when driven over at posted speed limit.

Yes there are standards usually set by a city (but adopted from other cities Engineering Departments). Most cities have replaced speed "bumps" with speed "humps". The problem with speed bumps was they are not as effective in calming traffic and caused a lot of issues with road maintenance (plowing, regrading etc)
Speed bump dimensions: Length 0.3 to 1.0 m Height 7 to 15 cm These are private and usually found in parking lots and typically about 10 cm high but there is one set here that is 13 cm and thats 5 inches. It actually started at 15cm and got worn down.
There are Lane Humps because lane speed is 15 kph so Length 3.7m Height 10.5cm
However most cities have standardized on
1691037686812.png

Toronto uses speed humps that are 8cm high

Yes there are standards usually set by a city (but adopted from other cities Engineering Departments). Most cities have replaced speed "bumps" with speed "humps". The problem with speed bumps was they are not as effective in calming traffic and caused a lot of issues with road maintenance (plowing, regrading etc)
Speed bump dimensions: Length 0.3 to 1.0 m Height 7 to 15 cm These are private and usually found in parking lots and typically about 10 cm high but there is one set here that is 13 cm and thats 5 inches. It actually started at 15cm and got worn down.
There are Lane Humps because lane speed is 15 kph so Length 3.7m Height 10.5cm
However most cities have standardized on
View attachment 112598
Toronto uses speed humps that are 8cm high
Not in Uxbridge and parking lots likely don't use any standard, but I haven't driven to many parking lots in Toronto.

Out this way, they let the plethora of ungraded sewer grates and potholes filled by our public (doesn't) works department with a shovel or two of hot asphalt and no tamping, take care of the main roads. Their road repairs skills regularly create miniature topographical maps of the coulees of southern Alberta. There are unmatched speed bumps and humps in the parking lot of our local parkland treasure, intended to quell the reprobates that like to play demolition derby, fast and furious, at all hours of the day/night. They mostly drive big pickup trucks, and look at the humps and bumps as a challenge or a means of getting airborne. Just part of their game.
All of it would be obsolete if the local constabulary just busted the morons, and suspended their licences for stunt driving, which is what it amounts to. They know who they are and what they do, and when (daily/nightly). But they won't, probably due to the fact that they know the dummies, or are their friends, neighbours, cousins, or whatever. LEO nepotism is a terrible thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murray20c8
My C6 Z06 at stock ride height scraped on speed bumps and driveways quite a bit. My C8 hasn’t done it once yet. I’m shocked but it seems to navigate them far better than my C6. It looked like it would be worse but it isn’t.

Reactions: DenisC8
My C6 Z06 at stock ride height scraped on speed bumps and driveways quite a bit. My C8 hasn’t done it once yet. I’m shocked but it seems to navigate them far better than my C6. It looked like it would be worse but it isn’t.
Your C8 has more front clearance than the C6 or the C7.

Absolutely. I don’t have the front lift and have never scraped. Maybe after 3 years driving a C7 with the aero package I am fully trained. Lol. Front lift has been deleted from any future requirement for myself.
That’s good to know. I didn’t think I needed front lift but it slightly scraped a few times on places I didn’t suspect.

I won’t have a panic attack coming face to face with a speed bump then.

I will just stay away from that Rona parking lot with Mount Everest in front of entrance.

That’s good to know. I didn’t think I needed front lift but it slightly scraped a few times on places I didn’t suspect.

I won’t have a panic attack coming face to face with a speed bump then.

I will just stay away from that Rona parking lot with Mount Everest in front of entrance.
One shouldn't go by one person's experience. It's all about your aea! In my area I need the front lift in several locations. Hell, even my Malibu scrapes in one area. So far. I'd say it's a 65 / 30 ratio of not needed / needed. Anyway, if you don't need it then great. Know your area and stay away from areas that you know you'll scrape.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.