Looking forward to winter driving when the wheels arrive from Corvette Depot. I purchased the Michelin winter tires last May but got busy with life and procrastinated with ordering the wheels. They were shipped from Corvette Depot on Nov 19 but the 2 front wheels were lost by UPS!

Last April during the 2 day COS at Spring Mountain - I asked about winter driving. The instructor was very clear - Corvette is a car that has been extensively tested by Chevrolet under all driving conditions including winter in Canada. Their advice; install winter tires and enjoy responsibly.
Enjoy but keep a watchful eye. It likely won't be your Vette that will give you any problems on the road. My daily has been rear-ended twice in 5 years. Both by drivers with very limited history driving in winter conditions. The last one I was sitting at a red light in the left turn lane in the city and saw him coming in my mirror a hundred feet away....All four locked up and just sliding on the ice... It's a helpless feeling when there's no place to go. Luckily no one was hurt. He could easily have died had I been driving my Vette.... :Biggrin:

Agree Rruuff, there is always more risk driving in winter and an arctic white Corvette might be difficult to see in some circumstances. I will be careful not to wash it too often ;) - that is, if I ever get the wheels for the winter tires. Thanks UPS - not!

I am accident free for more than 45 years and hope to stay that way until my permit is pulled one day for health reasons. We must be exceptionally defensive these days due to the many, many distracted drivers on the road. But bad stuff still happens to good people. Risk = Probability x Impact + high levels of hope and luck.

Looking forward to winter driving when the wheels arrive from Corvette Depot. I purchased the Michelin winter tires last May but got busy with life and procrastinated with ordering the wheels. They were shipped from Corvette Depot on Nov 19 but the 2 front wheels were lost by UPS!

Last April during the 2 day COS at Spring Mountain - I asked about winter driving. The instructor was very clear - Corvette is a car that has been extensively tested by Chevrolet under all driving conditions including winter in Canada. Their advice; install winter tires and enjoy responsibly.
the instructor was 100% correct. one thing to watch is ice jamming the self adjusting window when you open and close the door. this is a problem common with all frameless windows

I winteriized mine.
snowplows_1.jpg

the instructor was 100% correct. one thing to watch is ice jamming the self adjusting window when you open and close the door. this is a problem common with all frameless windows

Spraying silicon onto the weather stripping of the window frames makes a huge difference. After doing this, it only sticks along the bottom edge of the window, which is easily melted away with a vodka/water spray.

Update on the winter wheels purchased from Corvette Depot in Windsor. They were shipped via UPS from Windsor with 4 unique tracking numbers. The two rear wheels arrived on Dec 6 at 4 pm. I happened to be in the garage when the UPS truck pulled up and told the driver there should be 4 boxes. He only had 2. While out for supper with friends, got an email form UPS stating that the other 2 were delivered at 5 pm. Wonderful I thought! On arriving home there were no boxes and a call 2 UPS was dismissed as "They were delivered at 5 pm and are no longer our responsibility". Another call on Monday morning and the UPS agent told me the boxes were delivered to a different address but due to privacy policy, she could not tell me where they were delivered. A quick call to Corvette Depot and they said, "No worries, we will put on a trace with UPS"

Well after 7 days UPS admitted that they lost the shipment and could not determine where it was delivered. The folks at Corvette Depot are just as frustrated as I am but they agreed to replace the lost wheels at no charge to me. So I should have the front wheels by mid January when it will be too cold every day to drive it to the garage on the Michelin summer tires. I think my plan to drive the Vette all winter has been kyboshed. Thanks UPS. But also no thanks to me for procrastinating on the order for the winter wheels.

By the way - the rear wheels from Corvette Depot look great. Product name is Factory Reproductions out of California.

Reactions: EJChevy
You could jack up your 'Vette, remove the wheels, and take them and the new wheels to the garage to have them swapped. A PITA, sure, but an option.

Yup. A big pita for me. If the new wheels show up I might just go to the garage and grovel, show money, bring beer, scotch and ask to have the tech sent to my place. I can take the new wheels and tires to the local garage to install. But I am not able to take the existing wheels off and install the winters. It's a physical thing. 😔

Update on the winter wheels purchased from Corvette Depot in Windsor. They were shipped via UPS from Windsor with 4 unique tracking numbers. The two rear wheels arrived on Dec 6 at 4 pm. I happened to be in the garage when the UPS truck pulled up and told the driver there should be 4 boxes. He only had 2. While out for supper with friends, got an email form UPS stating that the other 2 were delivered at 5 pm. Wonderful I thought! On arriving home there were no boxes and a call 2 UPS was dismissed as "They were delivered at 5 pm and are no longer our responsibility". Another call on Monday morning and the UPS agent told me the boxes were delivered to a different address but due to privacy policy, she could not tell me where they were delivered. A quick call to Corvette Depot and they said, "No worries, we will put on a trace with UPS"

Well after 7 days UPS admitted that they lost the shipment and could not determine where it was delivered. The folks at Corvette Depot are just as frustrated as I am but they agreed to replace the lost wheels at no charge to me. So I should have the front wheels by mid January when it will be too cold every day to drive it to the garage on the Michelin summer tires. I think my plan to drive the Vette all winter has been kyboshed. Thanks UPS. But also no thanks to me for procrastinating on the order for the winter wheels.

By the way - the rear wheels from Corvette Depot look great. Product name is Factory Reproductions out of California.
Maybe it will be mild January in Ottawa... Or we could send you a chinook... ;)

Maybe it will be mild January in Ottawa... Or we could send you a chinook... ;)
Send it Rruuff, ohhh please, please send it. Last winter, I tried 2 emails to David Suzuki asking if he could help me find the global warming thing; no replies. Last winter was the longest duration for the Rideau Canal skate way to be open. A Chinook would be a blessing to get the Vette winters installed.

Send it Rruuff, ohhh please, please send it. Last winter, I tried 2 emails to David Suzuki asking if he could help me find the global warming thing; no replies. Last winter was the longest duration for the Rideau Canal skate way to be open. A Chinook would be a blessing to get the Vette winters installed.

Well... As all of Canada knows, we do our part out here in badlands Alberta to promote global warming... I personally have burned over two metric (yes we are metric here) tonnes of Styrofoam in my incinerator this year. Today it went all the way from -20 to +1 so I know I am helping with the cause... I am a bit long winded so will do my best to use that to blow the chinooks in your direction. If Riley doesn't intercept them first, you should see some warming trends about mid January. Be ready to hit the tire shop.... :thumbs:

PS. If you'd have included a huge E-Transfer donation with your email to Suzuki, he might have at least answered you....

Reactions: Riley P
Reactions: BDK and EJChevy
I went out this evening to enjoy some of the fresh snow that fell. First time out having some proper fun in a couple of parking lots. A friend came along and shot some photos.

The #1 thing I learned this evening: The ABS fuse needs to be pulled to slide around proper. Even in Competitive Driving Mode, the 'Vette will still use stability management to keep eh tail from sliding out too much. I could keep the tail out, but I ended up slowing to walking speed because of it.

I'm intrigued and glad you're able to make your car work. Have you tried driving with traction and stability off?

Reactions: EJChevy
drove it today and was pleasantly surprised by a beautiful yellow c6 passing me. glad I'm not the only one lol...

That reminds me: Christmas day, I was at my parents with my Vette parked out front. They live near a major county road. Randomly, shortly after I arrived, a yellow C7 Grand Sport drove down their dead-end road and crept past my car.

Needless to say, theirs was a lot cleaner than mine at the time. hahaha!

Yes, I have driven in pretty much every nanny setting. Turning everything off is ALL OF THE FUN (on empty roads that I'm very familiar with... or parking lots).
I just wondered if there was a reason for driving in Competition mode with the ABS fuse pulled versus turning it off, as I thought turning it off would be easier? Unless you want to purposely lock the wheels with the brakes for more skids. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.