I just wondered if there was a reason for driving in Competition mode with the ABS fuse pulled versus turning it off, as I thought turning it off would be easier? Unless you want to purposely lock the wheels with the brakes for more skids. :)

At that point, I didn't realize I could press and hold the TCS button to have the entire system disabled. In previous vehicles, I had to pull the fuse.

Did you try track mode with a double push of the traction off button? That's what they had us do at Spring Mountain to remove all traction control. Instructor said there would still be some 'very minor' activity by the eLSD but not noticeable. One of my classmates managed to spin it out on a corner and ended up in the desert sand.

Did you try track mode with a double push of the traction off button? That's what they had us do at Spring Mountain to remove all traction control. Instructor said there would still be some 'very minor' activity by the eLSD but not noticeable. One of my classmates managed to spin it out on a corner and ended up in the desert sand.

Competitive Driving Mode is initiated by pressing the TCS button twice. It completely disables TCS and only has stability management kick in when you are in a slide. Found this out at the track.

It's good in the snow on public roads as you can get the back end out, but once the back end it out, the car dances around the brakes in each corner, keeping your speed down, the slide to a minimum, and makes you really have to work to keep the back end out. Get off the throttle and the car will straighten itself back up.

Yes, you can still spin. It's a driving assist, not a drive for you.

It's not the eLSD that does the work. The eLSD prevents the inside wheel from unloading and spinning up when you get on the throttle, among other things that are too complicated for the purpose of this conversation.

That being said, it's snowing right now. I will probably never drive it on snow.
View attachment 35060
Just watched a news clip of your Vancouver weather and see someone got caught with the wrong tires....lol

IMG_20200110_184047.jpg
IMG_20200110_212728.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BDK and Creedence85
Just got them installed today - Went for a 2 hour drive on mostly bare roads but did find some hard packed snow to test the grip - very impressed with the Michelin Pilot Alpins. My baby is filthy and I am proud of her! After the drive I took her for a good bath at the touchless car wash. Now to find a wide open parking lot and take out --- which fuse?
20200110_111921-C.jpg

Before installing the Michelin winters, I removed the splitter to gain front clearance. It is an easy-off - about 30 minutes and I am not sure if it will go back on in the spring. There is no performance value - just the 'look'. But I will keep it protected in storage for the day when I have to sell this 'dream of a lifetime'.

Reactions: EJChevy
Just got them installed today - Went for a 2 hour drive on mostly bare roads but did find some hard packed snow to test the grip - very impressed with the Michelin Pilot Alpins. My baby is filthy and I am proud of her! After the drive I took her for a good bath at the touchless car wash. Now to find a wide open parking lot and take out --- which fuse?
View attachment 35083

No fuse does not need to be pulled. Just push and hold the 'TCS OFF' button until the diver information display tells you stability control is turned off. About 10-seconds.

Hey winter drivers! Sunday here in Ottawa was -8C with the aftermath of 2" of rain, .25" of freezing rain and about 2" of snow on Saturday. I had to go to the local big mall in Orleans for a Christmas gift return. As luck would have it, a very big area of the lot was completely empty and had not been plowed. All I could see was a playground for my baby! Passers by must have thought I was a fool or they were envious. Had a lot of fun trying to do full donuts in Weather, Sport and Track but I was too chicken to try full off stability. There was enough space to get up some straight line speed and jam on the brakes while pulling the wheel hard over or steering through imagined obstacles; I am impressed with the stabilitrack nanny controls. The Michelin Pilot Alpins have good traction but respect is required when turning into snow. The front end feels like my old 65 Beetle with rear winters and front summers - plenty of understeer to manage but very controllable at the right speed. This is my first opportunity to play in the snow since having the winter tires installed and it was highly instructional.

Another comment. The Stingray handles very well on slushy and snow covered roads. The residential streets in my community were not plowed on Sunday and the car moved easily through snow that was deeper than the clearance. Handling characteristics were very good, steering was predictable and braking was effective but with an expected increase in stopping distance. In the deeper snow, I used 2nd to pull away from a stop and often shifted from 1st to 3rd or 2nd to 4th to keep the revs low while maintaining torque to the wheels.

Bottom line is that there is no discernible difference than driving any of my previous RWD manual cars in the snow except for a super elevated attention to potholes. Here she is after the Sunday drive. By the way - those wheels are from Corvette Depot in Windsor - good people to work with.

20200112_135858RC.jpg

Last edited:
Bottom line is that there is no discernible difference than driving any of my previous RWD manual cars in the snow except for a super elevated attention to potholes. Here she is after the Sunday drive. By the way - those wheels are from Corvette Depot in Windsor - good people to work with.

That's great to hear, and makes sense in theory, as the car has good weight balance, and even better weight balance than the rear drive cars of old. It's about balance, traction potential (proper tires), and then driving sensibly. I've often argued that, but you always get the variable "rear drive is bad in snow," "you're crazy to drive a sports car in snow" reponses, so great to see someone dispelling the myth.

• Agree
Reactions: 12cents
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.