Jul 6, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
2020 HTC 3LT
Province
AB
After looking at the lift options available, it seems a single post system is ergonomically the best fit for my garage.
Looking for your thoughts on this style and if anyone can recommend a manufacturer / installer in the Calgary area.

You can park under this one, but do you really want to?
1608140941350.png

Talk to Lift King since they're in Calgary and they do sell a single-post lift. I expect they'll also be able to give you some good advice. If they don't have one in stock, it may take them awhile to bring one in for you, since they were experiencing delays getting product shipped from Vancouver's port, allegedly due to COVID. I recently had them install a 4-post lift in my Edmonton garage and was happy with their product/price/service:

Last edited:
Interesting, but you can't drive over them easily and so I wouldn't want to park another car under it. Why do you think it's the best fit? Is there one in particular you want?
I have a 25 foot wide garage with a 20 foot garage door it's offset to one side, typically I will back in on an angle, once entering the garage turn the wheels hard to park along the side of the garage. with a four-post system that becomes virtually impossible to do unless I offset the 4 post system to be on an angle. the single post lift essentially frees up all of your garage space across the length of your garage. Atlas has a single post lift that looks similar to the one you posted.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8

What I like about that model I posted above is that it has a high lift version so that I could open/close an HTC C8 in the garage when parked under a lifted vehicle.
I have to check if there is anything like this available for Canada.
The M1-4.5 single post car lift offers a 4,500 lb. lifting capacity, weighs approximately 3,800 lbs., and is designed for low ceiling applications with an overall column height of 9′ 6″ providing 70″ of headroom clearance. Our M1-6.5 single post car lift has a 6,500 lb. lifting capacity and is designed for storing vehicles above SUV’s, trucks or other tall vehicles that may have storage or ski racks. This monster weighs approximately 4,000 lbs (Compared to the imported single post lift that weighs 2,600 lbs) and provides 82″ of headroom clearance (HTC needs 81.5" to open/close inside) when fully raised and resting on it’s top locking position. The overall height of the column is 11′ 11″ (Note: I have a 12' + ceiling height ;)). This model requires a 12′ + ceiling height. However, if you don’t have a 12′ ceiling, it doesn’t mean that you can’t own the 6.5 single post storage lift. We can always custom build this model to meet your requirements.

Last edited:

I found the Atlas prices far more than Lift King, but that was for a 4-post lift. Compare their single-post lifts for steel grade, weight capacities, dimensions (will your two vehicles fit?), function, and pricing plus what optional equipment is included in the price. I'd still recommend talking to someone "in the know" to ensure you're covering all your bases. I know for Lift King, I sent them all my garage measurements and photos. They still came to my house to have a look which I thought prudent. At least you now have options with 2 Canadian choices.

I found the Atlas prices far more than Lift King, but that was for a 4-post lift. Compare their single-post lifts for steel grade, weight capacities, dimensions (will your two vehicles fit?), function, and pricing plus what optional equipment is included in the price. I'd still recommend talking to someone "in the know" to ensure you're covering all your bases. I know for Lift King, I sent them all my garage measurements and photos. They still came to my house to have a look which I thought prudent. At least you now have options with 2 Canadian choices.
Good information.
The Lift King single post model is close but is still a little short of the clearance to get the HTC to open / close in the garage when parked under a lifted vehicle (77 3/16″ vs the 81 1/2" minimum required).

Reactions: GogglesPizano
Ya, I saw that one. I'd still be nervous, but I guess there are so many choices they must be reliable.

The instructions don't mention if the unit is anchored to floor, but I expect you will have to
cut a 24"x24" section out of your floor, dig a pit and pour a pier with heavy anchor bolts to attach for stability.
It's the only way it would be safe.

Reactions: Matt_Orleans
I did get a response from the California company. The cost is high as is the quality. Amounts are in US$. Will our dollar be near par by the summer?

Dear Joe Shmenge (aka world famous Polka accordionist)

Thank you for your interest in American Custom Lifts.

Please find the attached brochure regarding our M1-4.5 and 6.5 single post parking lift as well as the installation manual. The last two pages of the attached brochure provide specifications for our optional wide lift designed for vehicles with very wide wheel-base (76" to 80") and our low profile baseplate engineered for vehicles with very low profile of 4" or less. The M1 single post is American made and was designed in 1999 by American Custom Lifts.

The 4.5 model is on sale for $7,495 and the 6.5 for $8,495. Freight varies depending upon the jobsite location. For budgetary purposes the estimated cost is between $850 and $1,750 just depending on the ship to location. Outside of the 48 Contiguous states, the cost will be more.

Installation price varies depending on the model, jobsite location and if a forklift is required. The national average installation cost is between $1,050 and $1,550. If you choose to install the lift yourself, you will need a forklift to off-load the lift once it arrives and for the installation. If you choose to contract with one of our recommended installation companies, we'll ship your lift directly to them. They will then schedule an installation date that works best for your schedule. Please note that not all installers are licensed electricians and you may be required to hire an electrician to hook up the power to the 220v motor. Also please review the dimensions of the lift to confirm it will fit within your garage space and review the attached installation manual, specifically the foundation requirements shown on page 2, note 3. Our recommend installers are not employees of American Custom Lifts and therefore there may be a charge for a presite visit.

To view a video review from one of our customers about the Single Post Lift, please click on the following link: American Custom Lifts M1 4.5 Single Post Car Lift Install and Review

To view a video testimonials, please click on the following links: Or

Available options:

Metal drip pans: $89 each.

Aluminum centers cost $1,395

Drive-on ramp protectors (Prevents ramp from scratching floor): $99

Included 36" Aluminum Ramps or High-Density Race Ramps. Extended 48" drive-on ramps in place of standard 36": $249

Wider lift to accommodate wide wheel base vehicles: $495

Low profile baseplate: $495 (Available only for the 4.5 Model)

Available Powder Coat Color Options: Black, Blue, or Red. Upgrade to White, Bengal Dark Grey, Silver Metallic or Matte Black for $450.

Power source is 220v (208v / 230v). 30 amp circuit recommended. 110v power optional for 4.5 model only (Lifting capacity derated to 4,000 lbs with 110v power unit).

Please note that we can customize the overall height of the column for additional lifting height or reduce the column for low ceiling applications for an additional charge of $450. For lifting heights that exceed 82", please call for quote.

Foundation requirements are a minimum of 4" reinforced concrete (wire mesh or rebar) and 3000 psi. The foundation requirements is commonly standard in most homes but can not be installed on a post tension slab.

To confirm if you have enough ceiling height to store one car above the other, measure the total height of both vehicles being stored and then add 10". This will give you the minimum ceiling height required. Some garage doors and tracking may interfere with the lifts operation. However, you can easily resolve this by raising the garage door tracks and/or using a side-mounted garage door motor. Most local garage door companies offer these services at a reasonable cost.

Please note that we have been offering parking lifts, automotive lifts and material handling equipment to fit almost any application since 1998. We strive to provide excellent customer service in every phase of your lift purchase, from research to installation; our goal is to make you a satisfied customer.

I hope the information provided helps you in choosing an American Custom lift that will best suit your needs. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office at any time. We're happy to help!

Once again, thank you for considering American Custom Lifts.

Sincerely,

Jason Tharp
AmericanCustom Lifts
8880 Rio San Diego Drive
Suite 800-824
San Diego, CA 92108
(619) 286-5438 X107 (Office)

The instructions don't mention if the unit is anchored to floor, but I expect you will have to
cut a 24"x24" section out of your floor, dig a pit and pour a pier with heavy anchor bolts to attach for stability.
It's the only way it would be safe.
There are actually some that are "portable" so they would not be anchored

There are actually some that are "portable" so they would not be anchored
That's amazing! I had a 2 post lift given to me by a tenant when he retired and I had a professional
installer come and quote on moving it to my shop. He said he wouldn't install on my 20 year old
floor as there were 3 cracks within 10' of where I wanted to install it, unless I cut the floor and put
2 piers in. I sold the lift as is where it was and kept my 4 post.

Talk to Lift King since they're in Calgary and they do sell a single-post lift. I expect they'll also be able to give you some good advice. If they don't have one in stock, it may take them awhile to bring one in for you, since they were experiencing delays getting product shipped from Vancouver's port, allegedly due to COVID. I recently had them install a 4-post lift in my Edmonton garage and was happy with their product/price/service:

used them a couple of years ago as well

went ok

Reactions: GogglesPizano
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.