Its not that bad as I believe they have made the lanes wider on the newer ships. We crossed 3 years ago and I don't recall it being an issue and last month we crossed on the two interior ferries in BC and there was good space as we were beside a semi and a 3/4ton truck.
I would have to agree with you Rockitman. When we were last over (2011 maybe?) I was worried about the ferry but we had no problem getting on or off at all. I mention my concerns at the toll booth about the low clearance on my car and we were put on the lower level I believe. It is narrow but I made sure I was there to protect the side of my car before the guy beside me was opening his doors.

Here's a vid from 10 years ago boarding the " Spirit of British Columbia " back in August 2007. I was driving a brand new 2007 Subaru Impreza Sport wagon. You guys all know how small these cars are. They pack em in there boys !! You that have recently been on the boats can attest. This is the upper car deck. Semis underneath. You gotta remember too. This is August. September is usually not as busy,from my experiences anyway.

Interesting video Mike. As rockitman says I think some ferries must be bigger as I don't remember the one we were on being as small as that. In any case we must all be cautious as usual. None of us want to injure our babies!

No thanks...... don't care for that.

I have driven my car down the Oregon and Cali coast..... done some amazing drives. I would like to see some more of the Island one but fine doing it with my daily driver.

Don't need to find out my lower CF front spoiler won't make it through a lower dip boarding or whatever. And the sides too.

B
I certainly understand your concern. We were fine with clearance on our crossing but who is to say all ferries are the same. Don't know how you could fine out about this for sure. I remember I was prepared to abort the crossing if the toll both person could not assure me it would be OK.

IMG_1773.JPG
Interesting video Mike. As rockitman says I think some ferries must be bigger as I don't remember the one we were on being as small as that. In any case we must all be cautious as usual. None of us want to injure our babies!
The newer boats in the "Coastal" class are bigger. I've only been on the Renaissance. The other 2 in that class are the Celebration ( see pic ) and the Inspiration. The " Spirit " class are probably somewhat smaller. I wasn't thinking at the time that someday 10 years later,I'd be putting a wide bodied car in there. I did wander around both the car deck as well as the semi deck. The semi deck was about 60/70% full. The car deck was 98% full. I'm not sure if again,10/15/20 Corvettes can pull strings ( I'd like to think we could,strength in numbers ) and take up that 30/40 % with the Petes and Kennys. But again,this was in Early August. Sept after Labor Day will be significantly less busy.

So that brings reservations into play if you want the bigger/newer boat for piece of mind. On the BC Ferries website,you can monitor the percentage of vehicles on any boat at any given terminal. As well as webcams showing traffic outside the terminal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brent08
Here's a place that could accommodate a group and keep us together. A friend of mine stays here yearly and has never said a bad word about it. MacKenzie Beach right there. Cabin 50 is in the website photo. Front row beachfront,far right against the trees in the aerial shot the site provides. And,look at all that grass for an impromptu show/shine !!

Tofino Cabins | Ocean Village Resort Tofino BC

There's also this place that wasn't open when I was last there.

Adventure Tours Vancouver Island, BC | Zipline, kayak & floatplane ecotours | WestCoast Wild
vacations

And not to be confused with the " West Coast Trail "

Wild Pacific Trail official website

And on the way in,or out we go by this " must stop " place. I've been wanting one of the decals and tshirts that are their logo for years.

Coombs Old Country Market

IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1775.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG

Last edited:
I found a hotel in Drumheller that caters to car clubs and our "Non Car Club". (Friendly people with Corvettes and no politics)( Fun and Smiles only):Seeya:
In town close to everything .
Rooms with a Queen Bed or two Queen Beds.
Blocked off parking that can be watched from our rooms. ( I will try to get all the rooms on the side with the parking lot).
With Breakfast.
Waiting to hear on the price, but should be around $115. night.
I need an approximate number that will commit as I have requested 20 rooms at this time.
If the long range forecast is terrible, then I will let them know in advance
More info to come.
Dennis

I found a hotel in Drumheller that caters to car clubs and our "Non Car Club". (Friendly people with Corvettes and no politics)( Fun and Smiles only):Seeya:
Blocked off parking that can be watched from our rooms. ( I will try to get all the rooms on the side with the parking lot).
With Breakfast.
I need an approximate number that will commit as I have requested 20 rooms at this time.
More info to come.
Dennis
We would be up for an overnight stay if that is the plan!
Thanks,
Brent & Debbie

Reactions: YFCvii and turbozig
With Breakfast.
More info to come.
Dennis
With Breakfast.
More info to come.
Dennis

That is great news, count us in for two. Good work Dennis.

Reactions: Brent08 and YFCvii

Dennis

I just fell over laughing my guts out.........

best quote / comment of the year here!

I am trying to plan a trip to BC for some drowning ( Oh, I mean drone-ing ) maybe around the Sept long.

and going to Florida the first week of Aug

So, not sure what else I can do trips wise.

Plan and enjoy... if I can last minute I will try...... hard to say with me.

Brian

Reactions: turbozig
I just fell over laughing my guts out.........

best quote / comment of the year here!

I am trying to plan a trip to BC for some drowning ( Oh, I mean drone-ing ) maybe around the Sept long.

and going to Florida the first week of Aug

So, not sure what else I can do trips wise.

Plan and enjoy... if I can last minute I will try...... hard to say with me.

Brian
So glad you like it. I got the idea from the Lake Louise trip where everyone had a great time and never felt pressured.
Would like to see you on the Drumheller trip. Think about it:).

Reactions: Brent08
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread