For me it's a no brainer it's going to take me about 45 minutes to raise the car, remove the wheel, put a plug in the tire and inflate, put things away and continue enjoying my trip.

If I call a towing, I'll be waiting an hour an a half or more on the side of the road and when he shows up it's a 50/50 chance it'll be someone who won't have any blocks of wood to ramp the car onto the flatbed. The angle will be too steep and it will damage the front splitter. I'll jump in the front seat of the tow truck and you get a 50/50 chance it's a driver where he stores his chains and greasy knick kacks on the passenger seat and now you are staining and ruining your nice clothes. (I've been there with the chains on the seat!). Then he would tow it to my house so I can do the same process of plugging the tire anyway. By bringing me home I've lost that day plus 90$ to several hundreds of dollars for the flatbed.

As for the California car cover jack it's cute and compact but it doesn't raise much. Murphy's law states when you use that particular jack it's going to sink in the soft dirt or the road will be uneven and when you raise the car it won't be enough to take the wheel off. Plugging a tire without taking the wheel off is near impossible.

I'm going to get a scissor jack that I'm going to weld a tab on. I read somewhere on the forum someone made a tiny ramp to be able to get a jack under. I'm going to test that flat tire theory and scissor this spring.
What ever floats your boat man. Suggestions are just suggestions.
Definitely not advocating the expensive billet jack as the best and only solution ... just sharing man.

Last edited:
What ever floats your boat man.
Suggestions are just suggestions.
Getting a little tired of nothing but bitching at other peoples ideas/plans/comments/shares (starting to feel like the usa forum - mods) ... much of the so-called drawback on that billet jack has already been tested and remedied on an actual Corvette with one of the best known owners who actually has the jack here in AB. Not advocating it as the best and only solution ... just sharing man.
Thought I’d just be one of the first to say this ... but there’s hunts on other threads too. Good luck with that scissor jack. Won’t say what I think about the idea on a C7 because others have posted plenty about it already. Enuf ...

daily driver logistics are apples to oranges for me too ...

Yes, you said it well Spence.

@Tango good luck pal. Maybe think and learn from some experienced owners for a moment before you post. If I was a tow driver I would drive right by you.

Last edited by a moderator:
What ever floats your boat man.
Suggestions are just suggestions.
Getting a little tired of nothing but bitching at other peoples ideas/plans/comments/shares (starting to feel like the usa forum - mods) ... much of the so-called drawback on that billet jack has already been tested and remedied on an actual Corvette with one of the best known owners who actually has the jack here in AB. Not advocating it as the best and only solution ... just sharing man.
Thought I’d just be one of the first to say this ... but there’s hints on other messages too. Good luck with that scissor jack. Won’t say what I think about the idea on a C7 because I know others have posted plenty about it already. Enuf though. Read what you would do and that doesn’t trouble me at all.

daily driver logistics are apples to oranges for me too ...
Yes, you said it well Spence. This clown hasn't even driven his Vette yet and is now full of expert "opinion". Wait... I retract "clown" and will inset "Gentleman" as we don't talk smack here.

@Tango good luck pal. Maybe think and learn from some experienced owners for a moment before you post pure BS garbage. If I was a tow driver I would drive right by you.

I think my message has been taken the wrong way. No I'm not an expert and I'm not challenging your ways at all. I'm not saying your ways are bad and I'm definitely not bitching. I am simply saying what experiences I've had with tow trucks and jacks and difficulties that may arise from them. I respect everyone's point of view here and I learn. If it sounded bad toward you it was not my intention at all I am sharing what I plan to do and if someone else idea is better great.

Next time instead of getting fired up why not ask me or the poster what the intent is or ask to rephrase so it can be understood. Sometimes a point of view isn't seen the same way the other person sees it. I haven't read every possible thread on this forum or the others. You are definitely going to get new members someone like me asking questions that was discussed a while ago. Even though I try to do research on the subject I don't always find all the answers and if it's taboo to talk about the same thing from a while ago then what. Should we stop from touching the subject ever again? Instead why not direct me to a previous thread to gather more information.

• Agree
Reactions: hemicat
Guys... Just scroll to the bottom of any page and there is a whole list of similar threads to the thread titles. Or click that little magnifying glass top right and perform a keywords search. We have all these functions in place to make your life easier.... Try them sometime. :Cheers2:

I like to think that my non run flats ride smoother. And they aren't as heavy and all that stuff. They should corner better with flexible side walls. I have had 3 flat tires in 51 years of driving. But we were in Kentucky and Missouri last fall and it was freaking hot down there still. IF I had a flat and was out in 95 degree heat on the side of a really busy 4 lane highway, trying to plug a tire on the driver's side, I would have wanted to trade in my jack, compressor and plug tool for run flats. I try not to think about it much. Just rolling the dice.

Well you just buy a can of the tire inflate and repair its like 12$ a can pretty simple stuff. I have used if for flats in the past on my cars and never had an issue.
Good point. What do tire repair shops think of that stuff? I never remember to go and ask. Maybe I will this time. It might be an old rumor, but I thought they didn't like fixing a tire right once it has that crap in there. If I remember next time I go to town I will go find out. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: OttawaKev
I seem to recall that I read somewhere that fix-a-flat stuff does something to the tire pressure monitoring sensors, could be wrong though.
I was wrong once before, thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
Ha ha. I like that line. It was in a movie once. It would make sense that the TPMS could be affected. The Brand name Fix a Flat says that it won't. Just clean it with water after.

Reactions: OL Yeller
Can anyone recommend a good portable compressor that does not take up to much room?
I have the Dynaplug tool and compressor. A bunch of us have that setup. One of our members sold them in Canada. He is getting out of that stuff due in part to high shipping costs. I just checked and he is out of stock on the stuff I have. The plugs are unique and effective. That's one reason I had to have that setup. You can check them out at dynaplug.com just to see the plugs I am talking about. All the Dynaplug products are on Amazon.com but prices are way more than I paid 2 years ago. Even the plugs are $7.00 each now. But I really like them and believe they will be the easiest to use. Down and out on the side of the road, I don't care if they are $10.00 each as long a they work.

My base model didn't come with anything, except the run flats, for which I am getting away from this spring. I managed to get a dynaplug kit, he had a couple left, and I received it last week, a pretty cool little unit, now to find an appropriate jack and compressor to give me a little piece of mind when driving on trips.

Reactions: turbozig
Can anyone recommend a good portable compressor that does not take up to much room?

Just pick up a cheap $15 12V one at Canadian Tire. It's small and tucks away easily. It literally takes seconds to fill the short sidewall tires on our cars. I have this little cheap one in my car with some Dyna-Plugs. Recommend carrying a plug kit for sure. There are some good ones around for small money. Also if you are travelling with other cars, chances are someone will have all this too.

Do most people still use run flat tires on their C5's or have they been left by the wayside?
I have only ever had to change 1 tire on the road, and that was a complete blow out. The C5 doesnt have a spare so i am a little weary of not using the runflats.

Comments anyone?
I replaced my run flats on C6, and I was thinking the same way. Everyone said do not go with run flats, you will get a better ride.
I had an issue driving back late from my sons house, dark and raining...tire sensor went off and I pulled over and checked the tire and it looked normal.
I drove 120 kms that night to get home with no problems. Didn't get wet or dirty, so when I remembered that night i pulled the trigger and ordered run flats.
I would always go with run flats... you always get a flat when you you don't expect it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.