Apr 10, 2013
Washago, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Convertible
Okay, this is embarrassing... With almost zero knowledge I'm going to look at a 78 Silver Anniversary Vette tomorrow (Friday April 12) and need a guardian angel so I don't do something dumb... again.

The owner says he bought it new, that it has less than 30,000 kms on it, and that its an L82 4 gear. It's been his baby since day one. I know the price is high at over $20K for this year but he's asking the big bucks because of condition and the car's "showroom" condition and proveable history. It all sounds too good to be true which scares most of us off.

I need to learn how to verify matching VIN and engine block numbers plus how to know it's really an L82. I can crawl inside and under etc. but other than obvious condition flaws that jump out I don't know what to look for.

Can you give me some advice folks? I'm new to this forum with a past in 56 Chevys and TR6 Brit Cars so need help.

Your location states Simcoe County.....whereabouts are you, and this car located. I'm off work at 7am tomorrow and would be willing to help out if needed. I have owned 4 of these wonderful cars over a period of 20 years.......and looked at a lot more in my quest for a good deal.

My first question would be is this '78 a Pace Car? If not, 20 grand seems a little steep......especially if this car hasn't been regularly exercised and maintained. Sometimes a low mileage "garage queen" can be more trouble than a vehicle with a little patina that has been enjoyed and maintained.

C3's are basically still just a Chevy.........however they do utilize specific components in regards to brakes, steering, and rear suspension. Rust issues will always be a determining factor in a purchase, and there are specific areas on these cars that should be checked. Fit and finish on an original car wasn't all that great.......St. Louis pumped these out the door, especially the '78/'79 models - just check production numbers.

Someone was there for me when I started out.....so I'm just giving back. Good luck in your search, if you need a hand, just let me know.

Brian

Sounds like a clean pretty clean Vette. lots of great info from the other guys here. Get Manny to check it out.
Would be a great Idea to take Brian up on his generous offer.

Lots of things to think about when buying your first Vette.
What are you going to use it for?
How many Kms do you plan on driving each year?
Do you plan on taking driving vacations in the Vette?
Is it just for car shows and cruise nights?
Will it hold a set of golf clubs?
Is you significant other (if you have one, going to join you on Vette outings?)
Are you handy around older vehicles?

Just to name a few.

Its always a great Idea to look at many Vettes.
If you plan on using it allot, maybe consider a newer generation, They are much more comfortable, reliable and get great gas mileage.
But C3's do look Great.

Many of us have paid a higher price for the car we wanted. especially in the price inflated spring time. As long as your happy with your purchase you paid the right price.

Good luck in your hunt. :canada:

Your location states Simcoe County.....whereabouts are you, and this car located. I'm off work at 7am tomorrow and would be willing to help out if needed. I have owned 4 of these wonderful cars over a period of 20 years.......and looked at a lot more in my quest for a good deal.

My first question would be is this '78 a Pace Car? If not, 20 grand seems a little steep......especially if this car hasn't been regularly exercised and maintained. Sometimes a low mileage "garage queen" can be more trouble than a vehicle with a little patina that has been enjoyed and maintained.

C3's are basically still just a Chevy.........however they do utilize specific components in regards to brakes, steering, and rear suspension. Rust issues will always be a determining factor in a purchase, and there are specific areas on these cars that should be checked. Fit and finish on an original car wasn't all that great.......St. Louis pumped these out the door, especially the '78/'79 models - just check production numbers.

Someone was there for me when I started out.....so I'm just giving back. Good luck in your search, if you need a hand, just let me know.

Brian
Great offer

Great offer from Brian. The 5th digit in the serial number should be an H if it is an L82. The code stamped on the engine block pad should be CLD if it is an L82 4speed car. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Be vey carefull here , that is too low for a real 78 Anniversary car . These are one of the most easily cloned classics and many a buyer has been duked out good money on these clones . If its indeed a clone and depending on the condition , I would not pay more than $12 to $15 .

This is of course my personal opinion and without seeing the car .

I have nothing new to add except for a big welcome to the forum!

As stated, I would take up Brian on his offer and/or have Manny come out to have a look at the car. With a Vette worth that much money, the money spent on a good inspection is a very worth while investment to make sure you are getting what you are paying for.

Best of luck in your search and purchase of your new car!

Cheers for stepping up Brian -- very unselfish of you...kudos.

If we can just get VetteDreamer to come back and see all these fine posts and offers of help..........

C.
That;s what I like about this forum ,people are sincere and willing to help others .Give Brian a star :D

Most of all hopefully VetteDreamer returns one way or another so we can all help.

That;s what I like about this forum ,people are sincere and willing to help others .Give Brian a star :D

Most of all hopefully VetteDreamer returns one way or another so we can all help.

Yeah Steve, it's a popular and very caring forum with many members who like to stay in touch -- There's usually someone on most of the time seeing what's up. Eventually everyone realizes that and becomes aware that questions posted for help don't take days or weeks to be noticed and answered.

We do real well for a small forum and have much to be proud of here.

VetteDreamer may be away or have no access which may explain his absence-- quite understandable of course.

I'm sure eventually he'll catch up with this.....

C.

Thanks everyone... a great forum!

Appreciate all the advice. You guys are superb. Am hanging with my 3 grandsons right now so will get back on line tonight or tomorrow to answer questions and explain what I saw today. Sure wish you guys were with me.

There was good news and bad news...and lots of stuff bothered me but without Vette expertise I got hung up on what might be small stuff. I'm fussy to a fault and a detail guy so I'll explain later so you can be candid with me on the issues as I saw them. BTW, Brian, I live north of Orillia and the car is in Concord. Not too handy for back and forth checking, verifying, etc.

More later... gkids calling. Ken

Great offer from Brian. The 5th digit in the serial number should be an H if it is an L82. The code stamped on the engine block pad should be CLD if it is an L82 4speed car. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Sorry, did not notice the H. Received your heads up after I saw the car. There was a stamped alphanumeric on the block - passenger side - that included a C but the VIN number was also stamped above and below and partly over this number making it hard to read. Ken

Sorry, did not notice the H. Received your heads up after I saw the car. There was a stamped alphanumeric on the block - passenger side - that included a C but the VIN number was also stamped above and below and partly over this number making it hard to read. Ken

Just call and ask the owner for the VIN # if you're still interested. If the car was originally delivered in Canada you can obtain the package from GM Oshawa using the VIN # that will tell you what options the car came with, what colour it was and what trim level the interior had. Vintage Vehicle Services

Greg.

Haven't seen what you're looking at yet Ken, but if I was gonna throw down 20 grand or more on a C3; I'd have a look at these two.......the first one for sure. Also, maybe some clarification for us all would be helpful. Are you looking at a plain '78 coupe, a '78 Anniversary Edition (this would be the 2-tone grey/silver colour combo), or a Pace Car? Three different models when it comes to value.

P.S. As far as the travel goes I commute to Toronto 4 nights a week, so no big deal for me. Cheers.

1978 Chevrolet Corvette Anniversary Pace Car Coupe - Markham / York Region Collector Cars For Sale - Kijiji Markham / York Region Canada.

1982 Chevrolet Corvette - Ontario Collector Cars For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.

Price Guide......just to give you a general idea.....by no means the "gospel".

http://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1978-Chevrolet-Corvette

What I find interesting about this guide, is if you "click" on any particular model, you can see how the values of these cars have fluctuated and "dipped" over the last few years...........definitely a buyers market these days.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for at least 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.