Certainly, not life or death but for some of us but it colors the experience all wrong. Sorry this has happened.

Were you there when it was taken off the truck? Was the damage noted by the hauler I wonder? Could the dealer have possibly done the damage after taking delivery? Reason I ask is, I ran into a situation where a dealer had too many warranty repairs internally once and the service dept was trying to move numbers around to look better to the general manager. Something like this could reduce their internal cost if it was their fault. I find it odd that GM would do a patch up job on this repair.

Certainly, not life or death but for some of us but it colors the experience all wrong. Sorry this has happened.

Were you there when it was taken off the truck? Was the damage noted by the hauler I wonder? Could the dealer have possibly done the damage after taking delivery? Reason I ask is, I ran into a situation where a dealer had too many warranty repairs internally once and the service dept was trying to move numbers around to look better to the general manager. Something like this could reduce their internal cost if it was their fault. I find it odd that GM would do a patch up job on this repair.
All the research I have done on this and other forums have resulted in relies indicating the ful panel was replaced not a patch and paint. I had this conversation with the dealer and re sent an email earlier today explaining I find it unusual that all repairs I can find involved a panel replace and this one does not. I will follow up further.

Reactions: Movie Muscle
The Audi dealer I work at crashed a customers car last week and did $25,000 damage. All she got was a repaired car and a $1000 service plan. The dealers are not too great at compensating people when things go wrong and most of the time the customer is not willing to pursue things legally as the dealers have deeper pockets and can make it a very long process. It sucks! Don't blame me though...I'm just the guy that fixes the mistakes.

The Audi dealer I work at crashed a customers car last week and did $25,000 damage. All she got was a repaired car and a $1000 service plan. The dealers are not too great at compensating people when things go wrong and most of the time the customer is not willing to pursue things legally as the dealers have deeper pockets and can make it a very long process. It sucks! Don't blame me though...I'm just the guy that fixes the mistakes.
Ouch, that's when you shoot a few photos and post a Google review. That's the sort of thing to influence sales and service numbers for them. The pictures really punch things up a nice notch. Those reviews use to not have much traction but they sure have over the last couple years.

Don't forget that the dealer owns the car. Not GM or the purchaser until he signs on the bottom line. I think the purchaser is stuck with either accepting the car with repair or refusing to take it. Refusing to take it puts him in a position of waiting perhaps 2 years for another or even getting one with similar damage. Shipping cars by rail is not the greatest thing. I think that's why GM stopped shipping C8's by rail in the U.S.

Reactions: PapaSmurf

How does your shop deal with body and shop odours infecting your customer's cars? Morning hose downs of your staff? Safety Data Sheets? Yes, I'm trying to suck you into a conversation about 2 recent threads...

Update…dealer is indicating GM has reviewed the damage and panel replacement is not what that have approved. Seems suspect to me based on your experience and others I have researched. All have indicated that this type of rocker panel damage required a panel replacement. Dealer says that’s not what’s going to happen. The other issue i have if I take delivery after repair is body shop odour in the C8 after repair.
100,000$ car and they will not change the part but repair it !!! Very bad customer service. I would not be happy at all. That is like if your insurance , you had, like new coverage, but said, we will pay for putty repair and not replace the parts with new .:mad: Hope you get what you want/deserve.

Reactions: Movie Muscle
100,000$ car and they will not change the part but repair it !!! Very bad customer service. I would not be happy at all. That is like if your insurance , you had, like new coverage, but said, we will pay for putty repair and not replace the parts with new .:mad: Hope you get what you want/deserve.
Thanks for the opinion, part of why I posted to get how others might see the situation. And actually a loaded 3LT - $125K.
Also very concerned after any repair, when a vehicle has been in an AUTOBODY REPAIR SHOP for some time the chemical smells seem to permeate into the car and do not dissipate very quickly hence no new car smell.

Thanks for the opinion, part of why I posted to get how others might see the situation. And actually a loaded 3LT - $125K.
Also very concerned after any repair, when a vehicle has been in an AUTOBODY REPAIR SHOP for some time the chemical smells seem to permeate into the car and do not dissipate very quickly hence no new car smell.
I would contact GM and tell them, you changed the panel in the past, why not my car?

What has happened to you here is a horrible situation.
Were it up to me (and apparently many of the forum members), there were would be a replacement car in the driveway before Spring.
Allow me to play the 'Devil's Advocate.
To give you a brief understanding on how I base my opinion;
While I do not normally do any single family residential work, a few times a year a brand new home comes across my desk experiencing major structural deficiencies.
Usually this is due to foundation settlement causing cracks, masonry failures, uneven floors, and interior finishes being ruined.
These homes are usually covered (partially) by Tarion's warranty, although this can be a long and cumbersome experience.
I have also had experiences where the builder himself has paid us for the remedial work.
On the last home in question, the 'repairs' to this home were in excess of $250,000.00 on a total home value of $1,500,000.00.
I have 'raised' sunken footings (with the house remaining above), and rebuilt entire sections.
What I have never done, and never heard of being done, is for the house to be completely demolished and a new one constructed for the buyer.
The harsh reality is that GM will probably replace the panel, but there will be no consideration beyond that for smells, inconvenience, or the like.
I do sincerely hope this meets with an acceptable resolution for you.

During PDI they found a small crack (about 1/4" long) on the underside of the rocker just behind the rear drivers side wheel. I was not happy but the crack was so small it would be easily repaired. Took about a week to get repaired. Can't tell that there has ever been any damage. Your damage is a lot worse though.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Shouldn’t be that difficult getting another ‘24 allocation. My dealer couldn’t repair 2 of my tires without leaving my car in a complete mess. I just noticed a gash on one of the brake calipers which probably occurred when removing the wheel.

Reject the car and ask your dealer if you can get next in line. I’ve seen so many allocations on Facebook and beautifully spec’d cars come and go recently.

Johnny, what options is the dealer giving you? This panel is bonded to the car and that's why GM doesn't want to replace it. I know how I would fix it but working with fiberglass and gelcoat is a stinky process and it still needs to be painted after the repair.
You have all winter, is there an option to just order another car. This probably happened getting on or off a train and if driven slowly shouldn't have occurred!

I would be fine with the panel being repaired. They can repair/patch up the damage and will blow in the area with paint. If the panel was replaced, it will need to be completely repainted and I dont care how good of a body shop they are, the repainted panel will be noticeable to someone who knows what they are looking at.

If I was you, I would 1. Accept the repaired panel or 2. Refuse the car and re-order a new one.

If it was me and they said they were replacing and repainting the entire panel, I would 100% refuse the car.

If the panel was replaced, it will need to be completely repainted and I dont care how good of a body shop they are, the repainted panel will be noticeable to someone who knows what they are looking at.
I totally disagree. Procedures and materials have improved so much. My roof was painted by a local shop and there is no way in hell anyone can tell the difference!

Reactions: Bixter44
I totally disagree. Procedures and materials have improved so much. My roof was painted by a local shop and there is no way in hell anyone can tell the difference!
We disagree then.

A painted roof is A LOT different than that HUGE fender panel. The roof is hidden quite well actually. I spent 20+ years of my life buying cars at auctions/trade ins and I guarantee that even an average used car manager will pick that painted fender out in less than 15 seconds and it will dramatically reduce the value of the car if the owner evren wanted to trade it in.

Or wait until any potential buyer pulls this out asking why the entire panel has been painted.

We disagree then.

A painted roof is A LOT different than that HUGE fender panel. The roof is hidden quite well actually. I spent 20+ years of my life buying cars at auctions/trade ins and I guarantee that even an average used car manager will pick that painted fender out in less than 15 seconds and it will dramatically reduce the value of the car if the owner evren wanted to trade it in.

Or wait until any potential buyer pulls this out asking why the entire panel has been painted.

If I look up your nose I'll likely see some snot, but can I tell without looking up your nose?
C'mon get real! No one can ever notice the difference if any! Pick your nits! ;)