May 9, 2023
VetteCoins
Car
‘24 3LT Z51 MRC
Province
BC
2024 arrived today Nov 21. October 17 build date, little over month to get to BC.
Not real happy as there is rocker damage. I have heard others in Canada have experienced this,
probably due to TRAIN loading/off-loading. Can anyone share simlar experiences on this and how long the resolution took?

ROCKER DAMAGE .jpg
ROCKER DAMAGE 1 (2).jpg

I did see at the Bowling Green factory how these cars are built. These panels get glued on the chassis first then everything else goes on after that. It's a huge undertaking to replace these. Sorry to hear!

• Informative
Reactions: Rruuff Day
My 2023 had rocker damage too (passenger side, same bolt location) although nothing compared to yours. Mine had a small crack right at the bolt. The dealership replaced the rocker panel entirely but it took several months (4.5) to get a replacement panel from GM and I kept driving it in the meantime. I was the second of about six 2023 cars my dealer received with similar cracks and ALL had their panels replaced. My dealer thought it could be a 4 day job, so gave me a loaner. The replacement panel arrives unpainted, so it's color matched. Like turbozig said, it's glued on as well so it's fun to remove and a bit more complex to put back on. But my dealer didn't take as long as expected and I got the car back on the third day. Perhaps "practice makes perfect" or in my case, a quicker job. The car looks/runs 100% AOK; it's like it never happened. Just the hassle of losing it for a few days. Keep in mind with the new paint, you need to allow it to cure for a few months, so don't throw a car cover over it. My dealer later on in 2023, said they stopped seeing that on their new C8's so they thought it had been solved. They said it was definitely a transport problem. Apparently, this s**t is still happening. Sorry to hear but hopefully you can keep driving your C8 until it's fixed (assuming you're taking the car like that) and you'll soon be "right as rain". Good luck!

My 2023 had rocker damage too (passenger side, same bolt location) although nothing compared to yours. Mine had a small crack right at the bolt. The dealership replaced the rocker panel entirely but it took several months (4.5) to get a replacement panel from GM and I kept driving it in the meantime. I was the second of about six 2023 cars my dealer received with similar cracks and ALL had their panels replaced. My dealer thought it could be a 4 day job, so gave me a loaner. The replacement panel arrives unpainted, so it's color matched. Like turbozig said, it's glued on as well so it's fun to remove and a bit more complex to put back on. But my dealer didn't take as long as expected and I got the car back on the third day. Perhaps "practice makes perfect" or in my case, a quicker job. The car looks/runs 100% AOK; it's like it never happened. Just the hassle of losing it for a few days. Keep in mind with the new paint, you need to allow it to cure for a few months, so don't throw a car cover over it. My dealer later on in 2023, said they stopped seeing that on their new C8's so they thought it had been solved. They said it was definitely a transport problem. Apparently, this s**t is still happening. Sorry to hear but hopefully you can keep driving your C8 until it's fixed (assuming you're taking the car like that) and you'll soon be "right as rain". Good luck!
Great information…thanks for taking the time to reply

Update…dealer is indicating GM has reviewed the damage and panel replacement is not what that have approved. Seems suspect to me based on your experience and others I have researched. All have indicated that this type of rocker panel damage required a panel replacement. Dealer says that’s not what’s going to happen. The other issue i have if I take delivery after repair is body shop odour in the C8 after repair.

Update…dealer is indicating GM has reviewed the damage and panel replacement is not what that have approved. Seems suspect to me based on your experience and others I have researched. All have indicated that this type of rocker panel damage required a panel replacement. Dealer says that’s not what’s going to happen. The other issue i have if I take delivery after repair is body shop odour in the C8 after repair.

I got my new car back from a simple tire change and it smelt like s**t. Tell the body shop not to keep the window rolled down and turn off the HVAC if you can.

WTF? You bought a NEW car! It requires it to be perfect and not repaired! What a joke! I smell a bad dealer here! Sorry to say, but I'd walk away. I feel horrible for you.
Edit: maybe you can get some sort of discount or something. It can likely be repaired fine. I reacted without thinking.

WTF? You bought a NEW car! It requires it to be perfect and not repaired! What a joke! I smell a bad dealer here! Sorry to say, but I'd walk away. I feel horrible for you.
Edit: maybe you can get some sort of discount or something. It can likely be repaired fine. I reacted without thinking.
i understand your reaction as I have been going through the same emotions.I understand this is not life or death, however, sometimes its the small things that really make life fun — this type of purchase is one of those events. C8 is not a practicle purchase, it’s an emotional purchase. The damage has turned the emotions around no matter how small.
I will sleep on the scenario and decide tomorrow which way to go. I was always going to replace the 23 C8 I traded, this new 24 is going to be long term ride with no plans to sell or trade.

Reactions: Murray20c8
I got my new car back from a simple tire change and it smelt like s**t. Tell the body shop not to keep the window rolled down and turn off the HVAC if you can.
yes it can be an issue, I have experienced this situation in another vehicle had windshield and pillar damage by a tree limb fall. When it came back it was like sitting in the middle of an auto body repair facility. They tried ozone treatments and extra cleaning but the smell did not go away. It took many months of driving with all windows down to eradicate. It’s was particularly hard on my wife as she could not ride in vehicle due to chemical sensitivities

It's unfortunate but I have been told by dealerships that while a car is inside they are required to keep the drivers window down and keys in the vehicle for insurance
regulations. With all the dust flying around in a body shop they should be able to keep the windows closed!

where exactly r these breaks as i want to check when my car arrives. according to dealer being built next week.
the photos at the beginning of the post show the damaged area. Bottom of rocker panel in front of the rear tire. the rocker panel is part of a larger aperture panel

Attachments

• 13B4EACC-F6B4-4849-930F-D88646F27469.jpeg
    13B4EACC-F6B4-4849-930F-D88646F27469.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
I feel your pain. I am super picky and would have been livid ( but restrained). Being the person I am I would refuse the car vs either repair. It is a significant job to do a rocker on the last few generations of Corvettes. One you likely wouldn't want to witness. Things look so pulled apart. I would be looking for a discount and if that was not on the table they would have an in stock unit to add to the floor. I realize this may complicate you decision but it would be my stance. A discount of a few grand would not be sufficient for me to accept the car either. The job would have to meet my standards as well, and many don't. Too much time tinkering and doing my own work on cars and boats. As well as working in those areas. I will own things that are not on point but I buy them like that and the price matches the condition for me to do so. These cars are often an emotional thing for many of us and we want them just so. Do what you need to do, it needs t feel right for you most of all.

Reactions: turbozig
I feel your pain. I am super picky and would have been livid ( but restrained). Being the person I am I would refuse the car vs either repair. It is a significant job to do a rocker on the last few generations of Corvettes. One you likely wouldn't want to witness. Things look so pulled apart. I would be looking for a discount and if that was not on the table they would have an in stock unit to add to the floor. I realize this may complicate you decision but it would be my stance. A discount of a few grand would not be sufficient for me to accept the car either. The job would have to meet my standards as well, and many don't. Too much time tinkering and doing my own work on cars and boats. As well as working in those areas. I will own things that are not on point but I buy them like that and the price matches the condition for me to do so. These cars are often an emotional thing for many of us and we want them just so. Do what you need to do, it needs t feel right for you most of all.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to its very valuable to get opinions in this matter. I agree 100% and this is what I have just expressed to the dealership in a lengthy email and indicated GM needs to provide compensation as they are culpable in the shipping process by not making sure the damage is avoided. It clearly is less costly for them to say sorry and repair than to monitor damage during shipping. Again, I know this is not life or death, its emotional and now the emotions are all negative.