C5Howie

2 You're 10
Dec 19, 2009
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
1999 C5
Imagine that3.8 million called back for floor matts! Wonder how many people tossed them after noticing they got in the way of the accelerator pedal. Anybody know what they do to fix this issue.

Baised on good reviews i bought a new 07 Camry to use as a commuter car,i could have never imagined how much of a dissapointment that car turned out to be,it had tons of drivability issues that Toyota could not fix, and poor build quality,i sold it 18 months after i bought it (thank goodness for good Toyota resale value)My neighbour has a new Tundra truck that is in the shop at least twice a month,he hates it.

All in all Tototas quality has slipped badly in the last while,my uncle has a Lexus that has been a dissapointment as well,no more Toyota (or Acura) products for my family!

I have a 05 Tacoma. By far the best truck I have owned. Never an issue. Excellent on gas. No issues. No floor mat to accelerator pedal issues either. I plan on getting a new one very soon.

Baised on good reviews i bought a new 07 Camry to use as a commuter car,i could have never imagined how much of a dissapointment that car turned out to be,it had tons of drivability issues that Toyota could not fix, and poor build quality,i sold it 18 months after i bought it (thank goodness for good Toyota resale value)My neighbour has a new Tundra truck that is in the shop at least twice a month,he hates it.

All in all Tototas quality has slipped badly in the last while,my uncle has a Lexus that has been a dissapointment as well,no more Toyota (or Acura) products for my family!

Sorry to hear you and your neighbor had/have issues with your Toyota's. As I used to sell them and learned about how they are designed and manufactured during that time and what they did over and above their competitors. Since then, I would put my trust in one nearly over any other car makers vehicles. I really hope the quality has not slipped since I sold them, that would be quite a shame.

My uncle started buying Toyotas in 1987 (a Camry)he had a few pickups and a 4runner and they would rust away before they would quit running.They were the most reliable vehicals around.However Baised on the comments of the folks sitting in the waiting room at my local dealer,where i spent lots of time,and places like Yahoo car reviews,seems the quality has slipped,i personaly blame this on how large that company has become,GM suffered from quality problems for many years as the worlds largest automaker.

When i owned the Camry it seemed that there was allways a "silent" recall when it went in for service,just to keep owners from getting worried ,I have since bought GM again and must say their quality has stepped up considerably in the last little while.

That is what I meant! Canada...

That's got nothing to do with it...

For years automakers have started farming out the manufacturing of their vehicles. Some with issues, some without but the fact that they're built in Canada has nothing to do with it. :canada:

BMW has had cars made in Mexico, as well as VW and some others.

Personally, I'm not a Toyota fan. I have my reasons but I'm tired and I just don't want to type that much... :nono:

What I can say is that I had a 2007 Chev Silverado for 3 years and 90k and it never set a foot wrong... Just got a new one and it'll be a great truck. My wife had a 2006 Jeep Commander and they're supposed to be junk... yup you guessed it, NO ISSUES whatsoever in 4 years!!! Unlike the Nissan Maxima that it replaced that was SUPPOSED to be a great car that cost me a small house in rental car bills and endless problems...

Times have changed and I believe that while quality was an issue with some car makers 6-7 years ago, I would not hesitate to purchase a car for it's price and style and NOT for its "past" automaker's quality reputation.

T

For years automakers have started farming out the manufacturing of their vehicles. Some with issues, some without but the fact that they're built in Canada has nothing to do with it.
Beg to differ,last year a buddy of mine who works in a Canadian Toyata plant was sent to Japan to observe how they operate and bring back and implement some of the procedures found,this was done to increase quality and production. Now we will assume it all boils down to the bottom line but with the recent downfall of quality,perhaps they noticed a trend in the Canadian product?

Looks like we agree to disagree... I'm in the industrial construction business and even worked for a company that has done TONS of work in ontario. There are Lexus shops, toyota shops, Honda and of course GM all in Ontario and all with different quality.

The fact that someone from canada was sent to Japan is non-consequential and to infer that one trip by someone from here to there alone would improve labor quality would be ridiculous.

The quality of the product has little to do with the actual assembly of that product. Are any of these cars having issues becuase someone forgot to install something? Or that a fasteners were missing? Quality is an investment into the components and the engineering that determines how they all fit together and how durable those parts are. It has little to nothing to do with the nationality of the guy that tightened the phillips head screw that keeps it attached to the car.

At that time the quality of the product produced in japan was statistically higher,non-consequential as it may seem the point was that the japanese built cars had a lower level of warranty repairs. I quess someone wanted to know why and share it with the Canadian counterpart. I agree where you mention nationality,I would look more to work ethics,dedication and accountability not to mention the different labour laws . In Japan (even under union protection)you must value your job in order to keep it,people seem to be much easier to replace. Some interesting reading that may clear up some questions regarding the difference in national products and labour in Japan.LaborNet: Online Communications for a Democratic Labor Movement

•Low wage temps: a full one-third, or 10,000 Toyota assembly line workers, are low wage temp and subcontract workers who earn less than 60 percent of what full time workers do. Temps have few rights and are hired under contracts as short as four months.

Toyota leads the Race to the Bottom: Toyota, now the largest auto company in the world, is using its size and success to impose its two-tier, low-wage model at its non-union plants across America, which will result in a race to the bottom with wages and benefits being slashed throughout the entire auto industry.

Interesting but let me ask you this... Think back to all the issues that your family and friends are having. The assembly location and even work ethics and or assembly labor prolly didn't have much to do with failing brake rotors, poorly designed components, poor parts reliabilty, fit and finish etc. Those are all items that their longevity, performance and reliabilty are all determined by engineering quality, materials of construction and fabrication.
[mob][/mob]

Dont really hear too much bad about Toyata from actual consumers. Mostly from Toyota employees and the media. Personally I have only owned one import a 2007 civic,didnt have it long enough for any failures to occur,the only issue I had was the sales people and there poor(we dont care if you buy here because someone else will)attitude,actually wound up at Honda after getting the same treatment at the Toyota dealer.So you could be right but the management here was concerend enough to take a comparitive look at the Japanese factories. Personally I prefer to buy 100% north amarican and even they are marginally 100% north american.

I dont think the cars are poorly assembled,rather the components used inside the car are suspect,i think that since Toyota's profits have decreased (they lost a ton of $$ last year)and production has increased, they may be squeezing their suppliers to produce MORE for CHEAPER,much like i believe GM was doing in much of the last 20 years,when that happens quality slips.
In the year i owned the 07 Camry i never had any issues with the build quality,just engineering flaws galore and numerous component failures.My neighbour with his Tundra had two transmissions replaced,and one broken cam for the engine,those major failures can be either engineering OR low quality parts,this would happen no matter where the car is built.

I dont think the cars are poorly assembled,rather the components used inside the car are suspect,i think that since Toyota's profits have decreased (they lost a ton of $$ last year)and production has increased, they may be squeezing their suppliers to produce MORE for CHEAPER,much like i believe GM was doing in much of the last 20 years,when that happens quality slips.
In the year i owned the 07 Camry i never had any issues with the build quality,just engineering flaws galore and numerous component failures.My neighbour with his Tundra had two transmissions replaced,and one broken cam for the engine,those major failures can be either engineering OR low quality parts,this would happen no matter where the car is built.

EXACTLY!!! Point-Set-Match!!!

OK,I worked at a GM dealer as a tech for ten years and you wouldnt believe the assembly plant fudge ups I have seen. I have seen units with 10+ warranty claims on them before they leave the dealer. Dont fool yourselves into thinking all the repairs claimed are the result of engineering flaws or low quality parts.I seen one SILENT recall on a GM truck where they forgot to install a plastic cover under the PCM that resulted in failure of that component,but not on one unit but over a thousand. You may not want to admit it or your experience has not yet led you down the road to realize it but people make mistakes and more so when they dont care or dont have to be accountable for the mistake, and only since the economic downfall of recent times are people starting to truly value there jobs. Agree or dissagree it is a fact that theese issues are present in the automobile manufacturing buisness and they always will be,my opinion on this issue. Thanks for the very interesting debate,Cheers Howie.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Engineers NEVER make mistakes. It's always the guy on the floor or a supplier...and not the engineers at the supplier, the guy on the floor at that supplier:D
Never, never the engineers!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.