Oswego Supermodifieds race without wings. They are powered by (typically) 468 cubic inch Chevrolet big blocks. These cars are fast with the current track record on the 5/8 mile track of 15.802 seconds, 142.387 mph set by Joey Payne. For comparison the ISMA Winged Supermodifieds are quicker with the current track record set by Canadian Mike Lichty at 14.829 seconds, 151.729 mph.

This track was paved a long time ago and does not have a lot of banking. Pretty quick.

MtX4llRl.jpg

The 00 of Indy Car Vet Joe Gosek
Trs0iNPl.jpg

AgytABpl.jpg

idGJMkml.jpg

These keep them stuck to the pavement!
t0HVKtQl.jpg

PSfLSLDl.jpg

Zv7ww7Zl.jpg

oV53X6yl.jpg

IreD1txl.jpg

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Oswego Speedway (Oswego, New York) has a two seat supermodified. It is a very quick car driven by a professional driver. Two warm up laps, five laps flat out and two cool off laps. This is me trying to squeeze my a$$ into the back. What a thrill. They have had a few accidents with the car, rolled it over once and spun into the wall a couple of times so it is not without risk. Underwear damage is high I understand.

JDg4azCl.jpg

44h9TRUl.jpg

They also race Modifieds at Oswego on occasion. They are perhaps the best looking race cars ever, lots of chrome and fast. The knock on them is lack of passing. Take the mirrors out and they can and do put a great show on.

Car with front "trailer" tires, they can't get them inside the trailer with race tires on. Too wide.
XEDGvEkl.jpg

4tYsQtdl.jpg

85HRvY7l.jpg

ZMp2szll.jpg

8dutw5Jl.jpg

AvesqcIl.jpg

Hahaha. hey Murray, I guess I could see how the racecar for Colin could be taken two different ways. I just assumed it was all in good humor and you were just ribbing him on being older (and not meaning to actually be offensive). I guess that's where us "younger" whippersnappers fail as we don't actually know what we're looking at. :D

Right now I don't have any pictures of the car. I hope to get some soon. We race out at the Auto Clearing Motor Speedway and missed last year, but hope to have the car done for this year!

Those are great pictures! Man, those things look fast! And are fast by the times you listed! Wow.

Looking through a bunch of old stuff the other day I found this add for Al Mason's A/B Production Corvette. I believe the ad was in Wheelspin the old Canadian Racing Newspaper (remember those before the interwebby thing!). Al Mason owned a couple of Sunoco Stations in the West Toronto and Mississauga Area. He ran high performance shop at the Islington Avenue station and you never knew what you might find lurking around the place (drag racers, road racers, hot rods and high performance late model cars and lots of Corvettes). His chief mechanic was Ray Gillies who was also the crew chief on this Corvette as well as Don Biderman's crew chief on his stock cars.

This Corvette had sponsorship from BFG Goodrich at one time. A great paint job on that car. The car is or was owned by Al's son and has been restored to racing form. Mason was a really good guy and a talented racer. Last I heard he owned Highway 9 Auto Wreckers north of Toronto.

0y6frxal.jpg

One for Doug. My buddies Henry J powered by a 432 cubic inch Chevrolet small block.

Wow Murray.... That brought back some memories. I use to go to the Oyster Bed Bridge track in PEI when I was a kid and there was two fellows from Nova Scotia that brought a 48 Anglia and a Henry J every weekend... Damn those things were fast......

sweet henry j murray. if i didn't have the studebaker i'd have one. i'm a real fan of the big inch small blocks too. i have a 4 bolt 400 truck block that is going to be the base for a killer 406 - that is when or if the dollar recovers. it should propel the stude into the 6's in the 1/8th and the 10's in the 1/4.

Well, not really a racing car. But this is the 1/4 scale tractor I designed while at school at the U of S and build by one of my friends and a great team of people. It taught me more about design than any class ever did.

Quarter Scale Pulling Tractor.jpg

Sorry to derail the thread with my tractor talk but I'm proud of it so here it goes!

I shouldn't make it sound like I designed the tractor from scratch as it is Version 3 based from two previous tractors and much of what you see is based on those tractors. Actually, it would be great if TaylorSK8 could chime in as he had a major part of designing Version 1 and 2.

The tractor used 3 16hp Briggs and Stratton engines (Everyone has to use the same engine but the number of engines is open) which was hook with a single belt run a CVT. The engine number and layout was a legacy design that a friend came up with as part of the judging was on serviceability and as the previous tractors were hydrostatic driven, this meant the only wear item was one belt. This year we went with a CVT so we had two belts but we were trying to save weight.
As we could get the front tires in the air during the pulls, each rear tire has it's own brake so we could steer down the track. And with how the actual steering was designed, we could pivot on one back tire as part of the competition was based on maneuverability.
Outside of the CVT, other major changes this year were a bolt together aluminum frame with no welding (as we learned the judges didn't like welds due to high manufacture costs). This year we added a hood to cover the engines for extra noise suppression (another judged item) and that's pretty much the basics. The tractors had to weigh less than 800lb.

Here are a few pics showing the maneuverability course, the hood open, and some of the insides.
PS. The Quarter Scale team is always looking for sponsors if anyone is interested as the funding is raised by the team to build the tractor and go to the competition. :D
As far as I know, we're the only Canadian team taking on the Americans (but I have since checked and there are a few more Canadians down there, woo!). The year previous to this, we got 5th out of 27 teams and that is why we have a 5 on the side of our tractor.

Quarter Scale Pulling Tractor 1.jpg

Quarter Scale Pulling Tractor 2.jpg

Quarter Scale Pulling Tractor 3.jpg

Quarter Scale Pulling Tractor 4.jpg

Last edited:
This is the car and the guy who really started my interest in race cars. This car, I have been told won the BB/Altered class at Indy in 62 or 63 when it was owned by Miller and Gregory. It has a long history and for the time was a state of the art race car. My friend Brooke DeShaw (rip) ran it as a B/Altered but its most successful days were with a front mounted supercharger (although it also ran with a top mounted GMC 671 Supercharger as well). For a 14 year old kid pumping up the fuel pressure on the starting line was just so exciting.

8X3piUIl.jpg

zjqhsXml.jpg

1S8r8Iql.jpg

This car was owned by Bruce Wilkes and is rumoured to be in pieces in the Peterborough, Ontario area. One thing I will always remember about this car and Bruce was he over staged and the starter allowed him to back up and re stage. The lights immediately started down again, Bruce dumped the clutch and went backwards at amazing speed.:D One of those things you really want to forget. It is a Chevrolet powered Ford Model A running B/Street Roadster.

ud3Rl9jl.jpg

Canadian Top Fuel Legend Scott Wilson from London, Ontario (he at one time owned the BB/A above). Wilson still lives in the London, Ontario area and once he left the straight liners he went Supermodified Racing at Oswego Speedway (see how it all comes around!?).

JMWUiU9l.jpg

The second picture has Wilson facing off against the Karbelt Speed Shop (Toronto) Top Fuel car.
JtNkSd8l.jpg

Reactions: buckhorn76
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread