This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Question about fuel and brake lines

May 24, 2015
VetteCoins
Car
1978 Corvette
Hey there.

I bought and I am replacing all brand new stainless fuel and brake lines for my car.. I need to know what sizes are the fuel and brake lines in order to purchase a Handheld Tubing Straightener?

Last edited:
Hey Sly. I’m not sure what size they are but I’ll measure mine today and let you know.

Update - One brake line to master cylinder measures 3/16” another measures 1/4”. Porportioning valve to front brakes are 1/4”. I couldn’t measure from the porortioning valve to rear brake ‘T’ but it appears to be 3/16” and from there I believe it goes down to 1/4” to each rear caliper.

The return fuel line measures 1/4”, the supply measures 3/8”, and the gas tank vent to canister line is 1/4” as well.

Last edited:
By no way take this as gospel but.....

Small block Fuel supply 5/16" OD Tube
Big Block Fuel Supply 3/8" OD Tube
Return Line 1/4" OD Tube

I have read/heard of guys putting in 3/8" OD as replacement for the supply because why not. Most after market lines tend to go to a -6AN fitting instead of just rubber hose connections. This would be the same 37deg angle and thread as JIC.

Brakes 1/4" and 3/16" OD Tube, 1/4" OD runs the long part. These would be a 45 deg double flare end (I think)

I will try to get out to the shop to verify this.

T

I am now confused. not sure which one to buy now. I guess I need to measure the lines in order to order the correct brake / fuel line straightener.

Brake and fuel tubing is sold as OD size. The 1/4, 3/16, are OD sizes. The handheld straightener you are considering is sold by OD as well. So if you are buying bulk 1/4 and 3/16 stainless brake lines, you will need one of each of the straighteners/benders. If you are putting new 3/8 fuel supply line in, you will also need a 3/8 straightener/bender.

Or.....in case you didn't know, you can also buy pre-bent sets if that makes your life any easier...

I bought some prebent stainless ones. They are not installed yet just laying on the frame. They are seem to be a good fit. They did come bent in half to fit in the box so there was one bend to straighten out on each but I did it by hand. Depends how much customizing there is going to be as for if it makes sense for you or not.

T

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I started working on my car yesterday and took a glanced at the fuel line and there was a sticker glued to it and it said the size on it. DUH!! lol

Attachments

• D9A2E1DA-C565-46EC-BC13-411632428C42.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9