May 24, 2015
VetteCoins
Car
1978 Corvette
Hey there.

I bought and I am replacing all brand new stainless fuel and brake lines for my car.. I need to know what sizes are the fuel and brake lines in order to purchase a Handheld Tubing Straightener?

p30537-Tube-Straightner.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Sly. I’m not sure what size they are but I’ll measure mine today and let you know.

Update - One brake line to master cylinder measures 3/16” another measures 1/4”. Porportioning valve to front brakes are 1/4”. I couldn’t measure from the porortioning valve to rear brake ‘T’ but it appears to be 3/16” and from there I believe it goes down to 1/4” to each rear caliper.

The return fuel line measures 1/4”, the supply measures 3/8”, and the gas tank vent to canister line is 1/4” as well.

Last edited:
By no way take this as gospel but.....

Small block Fuel supply 5/16" OD Tube
Big Block Fuel Supply 3/8" OD Tube
Return Line 1/4" OD Tube

I have read/heard of guys putting in 3/8" OD as replacement for the supply because why not. Most after market lines tend to go to a -6AN fitting instead of just rubber hose connections. This would be the same 37deg angle and thread as JIC.

Brakes 1/4" and 3/16" OD Tube, 1/4" OD runs the long part. These would be a 45 deg double flare end (I think)

I will try to get out to the shop to verify this.

T

I am now confused. not sure which one to buy now. I guess I need to measure the lines in order to order the correct brake / fuel line straightener.

Brake and fuel tubing is sold as OD size. The 1/4, 3/16, are OD sizes. The handheld straightener you are considering is sold by OD as well. So if you are buying bulk 1/4 and 3/16 stainless brake lines, you will need one of each of the straighteners/benders. If you are putting new 3/8 fuel supply line in, you will also need a 3/8 straightener/bender.

Or.....in case you didn't know, you can also buy pre-bent sets if that makes your life any easier...

I bought some prebent stainless ones. They are not installed yet just laying on the frame. They are seem to be a good fit. They did come bent in half to fit in the box so there was one bend to straighten out on each but I did it by hand. Depends how much customizing there is going to be as for if it makes sense for you or not.

T

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I started working on my car yesterday and took a glanced at the fuel line and there was a sticker glued to it and it said the size on it. DUH!! lol

Attachments

• D9A2E1DA-C565-46EC-BC13-411632428C42.jpeg
    D9A2E1DA-C565-46EC-BC13-411632428C42.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.