This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Psssssssst.... flat tire!

Apr 27, 2010
Sherwood Park
VetteCoins
Car
1998 roadster 6spd
I just told my wife last week, to be aware that if she ever gets a flat on the car, she has to call a flatdeck! There's no putting a spare on with these cars. Well it seems "the refrigerator was listening", if you're aware of that saying, because it seems I ran over a roofing nail, lodged in the right rear tire! It was a slow leak, which appeared as a discrepancy on the pressure monitoring system, but never thought much of it- I'll check into it later, I thought, just gotta run over to my bro's. While I was leaving, he was on the passenger side chatting just before I left, looked down at the tire and said- "You've got a nail in your tire".

Sure as heck I did, so took it over late Saturday afternoon to Kal Tire. Because it is a speed rated tire, it was quite a process to patch. Everything came off, rim off car, tire off rim, and then a special patch was used, one I'd never seen before, kind of a hybrid plug/patch.

The best part of it all, it was a free fix! I was prepared to pay pay pay, but got away lucky.

I don't drive the car crazily, but I honestly wondered if the tire would be scrap? I'd never had to patch such a tire and wondered if it was possible. They did it, I don't feel any ill effects, so all is good, but I wondered...

Just my own personal experience ....it is not a idea to patch a speed rated tire . I would be replacing that sucker ASAP .

Manny@E.C.P

What can happen? Since I drive the car pretty tamely, will it matter? Can I get a blowout? Funny thing is the guy at the shop said he would never plug a speed rated tire, only patch. He never said anything about all- out replacement.

Put a tube in it!

Please explain speed rated tires. I thought all tires were speed rated or is there a certain speed rating where you would not trust fixing a tire?

I'm not doubting you Manny, just need further clarification. If that is what can happen, why didn't the tire shop tell me that!? The tires have less than 1000km on them to...

I understand what you saying, but ask yourself this. Why take a chance with your car . These performance tires are not made to have patches put in , as this will reduce the integrity of the tire . Speed rated tires should never be patched , as the tire is no longer speed rated ,I think that it is iresponsible of shops to patch this type of tire .

This is my personal opinion and also one shared by those make that Z rated tires .

Manny@e.c.p