May 3, 2018
Aurora
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Stingray
Hey, folks. I saw a series of discussion posts on one of the U.S. car forums about “flashing” high beams to warn oncoming traffic about radar up ahead. it used to be pretty common, but after thinking about it I realized that I hadn’t seen any of that happening for quite some time.

Apparently, flashing lights to warn of radar has been ruled legal by a U.S. Federal judge, and I wondered if the same applies to we denizens of The Great White North. I can’t find any reference to this in the Ontario Traffic Act, and thought I’d pose the question here. Not that I personally ever exceed the speed limit 😉 but I wondered if the decline in warnings by headlights was caused by the laws or just none of the newer generation(s) knowing about this bit of tradition.

LLC

Hey, folks. I saw a series of discussion posts on one of the U.S. car forums about “flashing” high beams to warn oncoming traffic about radar up ahead. it used to be pretty common, but after thinking about it I realized that I hadn’t seen any of that happening for quite some time.

Apparently, flashing lights to warn of radar has been ruled legal by a U.S. Federal judge, and I wondered if the same applies to we denizens of The Great White North. I can’t find any reference to this in the Ontario Traffic Act, and thought I’d pose the question here. Not that I personally ever exceed the speed limit 😉 but I wondered if the decline in warnings by headlights was caused by the laws or just none of the newer generation(s) knowing about this bit of tradition.

LLC
Truthfully, I've never seen it being illegal. I do it. If I ever got pulled over for it I'd just say I was saying hello to a neighbour!
It used to be turning your lights on and off, but since auto lights I just flash the high beams.
Edit: When one turned on and off the lights the tails would come on and alert cops seeing you drive off. Flashing the high beams doesn't do that so how would they ever know?

Flashing the high beams doesn't do that so how would they ever know?
It seems the U.S. Federal Court was involved to make that ruling happened due to a second LEO in an oncoming vehicle was the “flashee”, who turned around and pulled over the “flasher” issuing a major $$ summons, the case went through a number of lower courts before the final ruling by a federal level U.S. court. As a precedent future tickets for the same offence would not be legal. I guess I’m trying to figure out whether such an action would stand in Canada generally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murray20c8
and pulled over the “flasher” issuing a major $$ summons
OK, I have been arrested for that, but I only did it once cause it seems old ladies like it too much! ;)

So, while Ontario's Highway Traffic Act doesn't specifically mention flashing high beams to warn oncoming vehicles about speed traps (only that "alternating flashing headlights" are restricted to police and, possibly, other government emergency vehicles) it seems this has been addressed on a few occasions in the past, by the media, such as: Is it illegal to warn other drivers about a speed trap?
(although this is dated 2014).

Wonder how other provinces deal with this issue?

Reactions: Murray20c8
The stupid thing is WAZE has warnings for radar stations. Are they charged? LOL.
Cops can get so arrogant sometimes. There are far more requirements for cops tracking down home invaders etc. than speed traps.
If I was police chief there would be a lot more beat cops in neighbourhoods. I'm not adverse to photo radar in school zones either.

Reactions: 1st Vette