Apr 27, 2010
Sherwood Park
VetteCoins
Car
1998 roadster 6spd
I just told my wife last week, to be aware that if she ever gets a flat on the car, she has to call a flatdeck! There's no putting a spare on with these cars. Well it seems "the refrigerator was listening", if you're aware of that saying, because it seems I ran over a roofing nail, lodged in the right rear tire! It was a slow leak, which appeared as a discrepancy on the pressure monitoring system, but never thought much of it- I'll check into it later, I thought, just gotta run over to my bro's. While I was leaving, he was on the passenger side chatting just before I left, looked down at the tire and said- "You've got a nail in your tire".

Sure as heck I did, so took it over late Saturday afternoon to Kal Tire. Because it is a speed rated tire, it was quite a process to patch. Everything came off, rim off car, tire off rim, and then a special patch was used, one I'd never seen before, kind of a hybrid plug/patch.

The best part of it all, it was a free fix! I was prepared to pay pay pay, but got away lucky.

I don't drive the car crazily, but I honestly wondered if the tire would be scrap? I'd never had to patch such a tire and wondered if it was possible. They did it, I don't feel any ill effects, so all is good, but I wondered...

I just told my wife last week, to be aware that if she ever gets a flat on the car, she has to call a flatdeck! There's no putting a spare on with these cars. Well it seems "the refrigerator was listening", if you're aware of that saying, because it seems I ran over a roofing nail, lodged in the right rear tire! It was a slow leak, which appeared as a discrepancy on the pressure monitoring system, but never thought much of it- I'll check into it later, I thought, just gotta run over to my bro's. While I was leaving, he was on the passenger side chatting just before I left, looked down at the tire and said- "You've got a nail in your tire".

Sure as heck I did, so took it over late Saturday afternoon to Kal Tire. Because it is a speed rated tire, it was quite a process to patch. Everything came off, rim off car, tire off rim, and then a special patch was used, one I'd never seen before, kind of a hybrid plug/patch.

The best part of it all, it was a free fix! I was prepared to pay pay pay, but got away lucky.

I don't drive the car crazily, but I honestly wondered if the tire would be scrap? I'd never had to patch such a tire and wondered if it was possible. They did it, I don't feel any ill effects, so all is good, but I wondered...

Just my own personal experience ....it is not a idea to patch a speed rated tire . I would be replacing that sucker ASAP .

[email protected]

What can happen? Since I drive the car pretty tamely, will it matter? Can I get a blowout? Funny thing is the guy at the shop said he would never plug a speed rated tire, only patch. He never said anything about all- out replacement.

I understand what you saying, but ask yourself this. Why take a chance with your car . These performance tires are not made to have patches put in , as this will reduce the integrity of the tire . Speed rated tires should never be patched , as the tire is no longer speed rated ,I think that it is iresponsible of shops to patch this type of tire .

This is my personal opinion and also one shared by those make that Z rated tires .

[email protected]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.