Unless you C7 guys know something we C6ers don't. The few times I've run 91 ( Costco,shell and Husky ) no 94 at the Cochrane Husky one time,I notice a difference. A big difference especially as the ambient air temp goes down. (14-20 cel are my ideal driving temps.My car runs excellent) anything above 25 cel,I prefer leaving it in the garage. I'm not a summer heat person.

I live within 7 kms of 4 Huskys. I'll drive to the other 3 if my regular guy is out for 94. My car don't drink 91 anymore. I'm hoping if I buy a C7 ,it's only had 94.

Reactions: ddgermann
Unless you C7 guys know something we C6ers don't. The few times I've run 91 ( Costco,shell and Husky ) no 94 at the Cochrane Husky one time,I notice a difference. A big difference especially as the ambient air temp goes down. (14-20 cel are my ideal driving temps.My car runs excellent) anything above 25 cel,I prefer leaving it in the garage. I'm not a summer heat person.

I live within 7 kms of 4 Huskys. I'll drive to the other 3 if my regular guy is out for 94. My car don't drink 91 anymore. I'm hoping if I buy a C7 ,it's only had 94.

Well MIke there is no denying 94 will be better than 91 however for street / highway cruising 91 has not been any issue for my C6 13 Z06 or C7 15. But to be sure you drive your Vette more than anyone I can think of so your input here is highly valuable beyond my weekend warrior knowledge.
Good post.
D

Reactions: MikeysZ06
Well MIke there is no denying 94 will be better than 91 however for street / highway cruising 91 has not been any issue for my C6 13 Z06 or C7 15. But to be sure you drive your Vette more than anyone I can think of so your input here is highly valuable beyond my weekend warrior knowledge.
Good post.
D
I just prefer the 94. If you C7s can run good on the 91 though. Nothing wrong with that. Something else to consider in a purchase.

This was four days ago at Co-op... Prices went up a bit right after I fueled... Co-op doesn't have 94.... they also don't have Ethanol in their 91.... Both my C6 and my C7 ran and run great on 91. I've never tried 94 and the cars don't seem to miss it...On the coldest days my car runs great and on the hottest days (30 plus)... my C7 still runs great and never reaches 95 C (203 F).... I've never had an engine knock from 91 fuel....
Whether it's right or wrong, I avoid Ethanol additive fuels and we have been around the block many times before on this forum BUT... both Petro Canada 94 and Husky 94 Octane gasolines contains ethanol. The ethanol is basically what bumps it from 91 to 94....

fuelprices.jpg

There is no question that my LS6 runs better on 94 than 91. I do get a bit of "ping" with Shell 91 but my options are limited to what I can get here. I do not get it with PC 94. It could be the tune in the motor, or perhaps even in need of a tune but I doubt that.

For the past five years or so I have stored the car with non ethanol Shell 91 and have had no issues with the car in the spring. I use it in all my outdoor equipment year round as well.

I wonder sometimes how fresh the Shell 91 gas is from the station I get it from. It is a busy station but how much 91 they move is an unknown. I used it in my Donzi but it made so much noise there was no way to tell if the motor was pinging or not.:Biggrin: There is no Petro Canada or Husky here, the other stations are independents and who knows where that gas comes from.

I almost wonder if it wouldn't hurt to go to some of the wealthier areas of town to buy fuel. Like in Westhills for example. The cars I see coming out of there by the 100s daily are all premium required cars. Astons,jags,porsches,mercs up the wazzoo in this section of town. Exotics.

You know those stations are moving a lot of premium.

With our 2005 and probably with the rest, I understand that when intake air temperatures reach 86F, the computer starts to pull out timing to resist detonation. If the knock sensor sees detonation timing will definitely be pulled out. I have a Vararam intake that picks up air right behind the grille rather than hot under hood air. Little things to be aware of.

Maybe that next run to Highwood pass in 2 weeks,I'll try the Shell V power.I think I've only used shell fuel once in Revelstoke in this car. Can't recall. That's going to be an evening run as well.

I try to only used fuel that is Ethanol free, so in Ontario that is pretty much only available in 91. If I'm stuck and can't find an Ethanol free station, then I'll put in 94. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

E10 fuel is especially bad for our cars when you putting them away for the winter. R=The ethanol can seperate and introduce water into the fuel system. Also if you look at the performance difference, the E10 fuel burns cleaner, but produces less energy. E0 fuel will produce better MPG.

I try to only used fuel that is Ethanol free, so in Ontario that is pretty much only available in 91. If I'm stuck and can't find an Ethanol free station, then I'll put in 94. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

E10 fuel is especially bad for our cars when you putting them away for the winter. R=The ethanol can seperate and introduce water into the fuel system. Also if you look at the performance difference, the E10 fuel burns cleaner, but produces less energy. E0 fuel will produce better MPG.

Great info! I never pay enough attention to this. I just put a full tank(s) of fresh premium in with some stabilizer and cover the car in the garage for the winter. Never considered the possible Ethanol aspect. Will have to pay more attention now.
Thanks D.

Reactions: MikeysZ06
That looks pretty much the price in Red Deer for Shell and Co-op... I still have this phobia about ethanol so don't check Petro Can prices here...

Agreed. I won't let the stuff anywhere near my tank either. :WillyNilly:
Well N20,after what I was just told and shown at Shaganappi an hour ago was to cease using the Husky 94. Effective now !! I had an oil change and new plugs installed as per required at 100K. The tech showed me plugs 1,5 and 8. Not good !! Plug 8 was getting almost no spark whatsoever. 1and 5 very corroded.

That's enough for me to switch now. So this begs the question. Where do I go? Shell V power? Co-op 91 ? I'm leaning towards the V power as I have just under 1/2 a tank in it now from last weeks drive. I don't buy Petro Canada fuel as I feel it supports Justin and his band of clowns.

Well N20,after what I was just told and shown at Shaganappi an hour ago was to cease using the Husky 94. Effective now !! I had an oil change and new plugs installed as per required at 100K. The tech showed me plugs 1,5 and 8. Not good !! Plug 8 was getting almost no spark whatsoever. 1and 5 very corroded.

That's enough for me to switch now. So this begs the question. Where do I go? Shell V power? Co-op 91 ? I'm leaning towards the V power as I have just under 1/2 a tank in it now from last weeks drive. I don't buy Petro Canada fuel as I feel it supports Justin and his band of clowns.

We use Co-op but are leaning toward warning up to and changing to Shell again ... Freda swore by Shell V-Power in her '98 Supercharged Grand Prix.
(Holy Crap you just made me realize that Canada currently has two "Justin & his band of clowns" Groups now - both enticing bottles of water to be thrown)

You are a bit behind the times. Petro Canada was sold to SUNCOR and other private concerns more than 10 years ago.

So this begs the question. Where do I go? Shell V power? Co-op 91 ? I'm leaning towards the V power as I have just under 1/2 a tank in it now from last weeks drive. I don't buy Petro Canada fuel as I feel it supports Justin and his band of clowns.

I personally swear by Shell V-Power. I have had really good luck with it and have first hand dyno experience of what kind of power it makes vs the Husky 94 and it's VERY close. Co-Op premium is also ethanol free, but I feel the Shell has a much higher quality additive package. Petro Canada fuel is absolute junk. I have had several tuners tell me that they won't tune on Petro Can. That was good enough for me to steer clear of it! :D

You are a bit behind the times. Petro Canada was sold to SUNCOR and other private concerns more than 10 years ago.
I guess so !! Just never bought it then. Still haven't to this day.

I always knew it as ...
Pierre
Elliot
Trudeau
Rips
Off
C
A
N
A
D
A

So the transition of it's sale to Suncor hit the shredder in my brain too.

... our next fill will be Shell V-Power ... (to try it and see if we like it as an alternate from Coop)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread