conv.jpg

So we can leave the "Beauty" thread on topic can we take the X Fire one a little more off? @1 BAD 9T9 mentioned working with Canadian Supermodified driver Joe Hlywka (1932/1999). Joe had been a racing fixture in southern Ontario and the upper United States race tracks. Thanks for the connection Peter! :thumbs:

These are a few pics of Joe and his race cars. The ex Indy roadster belonged to Steve Gioia of Oswego, New York, Joe was the hired gun. Pic taken at the Oswego Classic in 1969.

oswb0047.jpg

Joe's last racing adventure came with the Can Am Three Quarter Midgets.

joe10.jpg

The earlier days at the Canadian National Exhibition, Flamboro Speedway and a few other tracks

Unknown.jpeg
65hlywka.jpg
Joe-Hlywka23-in-a-Doug-Duncan-prepared-car.-Courtesy-of-George-Oldnall.jpg
69yearbook.jpg

So we can leave the "Beauty" thread on topic can we take the X Fire one a little more off? @1 BAD 9T9 mentioned working with Canadian Supermodified driver Joe Hlywka (1932/1999). Joe had been a racing fixture in southern Ontario and the upper United States race tracks. Thanks for the connection Peter! :thumbs:

These are a few pics of Joe and his race cars. The ex Indy roadster belonged to Steve Gioia of Oswego, New York, Joe was the hired gun. Pic taken at the Oswego Classic in 1969.

View attachment 94167

Joe's last racing adventure came with the Can Am Three Quarter Midgets.

View attachment 94169
The earlier days at the Canadian National Exhibition, Flamboro Speedway and a few other tracks

View attachment 94171View attachment 94172View attachment 94173View attachment 94170
Wow Murry you sure brought back memories with the great pictures. The Super Modifieds raced all over south west Ontario. We raced number 23 at Bridgeport Speedway, near Kitchener, where I tried Benzene instead of Methanol for fuel, Nilestown Speedway, just outside London with a natural grass bowl for the stands, Flamboro Speedway near Hamilton where Gordon Johncock of USAC and Indy fame showed us the fast way around the track. Back to XFIRE, Joe trailered his race car behind a Pontiac station wagon. I think it was a '56, not a '58. but anyway going down the long hill on highway #5 to Mississauga Road we only had the drum brakes on the tow car, none on the trailer. Fortunately we never wrecked. The other most notable thing about working with Joe was his storage of Methanol. He had a 45 gallon drum of the stuff sitting in the driveway outside the side door to his house. Yes I really enjoyed working and pitting with Joe before he moved on to the real Crown Jewel of "Supers" at Oswego, New York. RIP Joe. Here's a picture of the car Joe ran with me, bit fuzzy though, but Murray's pic earlier is better. Thanks for letting me carry on here.
Peter aka 1 BAD 9T9.

1648236056612.png