Oct 19, 2017
VetteCoins
Hello everyone, I've been watching this forum for the last 6 months or so while I've been shopping for my new z06. Finally bit the bullet and grabbed a 2018 z06 at. I am picking it up next few days. Managed to grind them down 7% off the msrp after haggling for what seemed hours. I'm considering the extended warranty for 7 years/60km as I don't plan to drive it overwhelmingly. Retail is about 3300, they did sat I can barter it down. Just wondering what others have gotten it down to in British Columbia? Been dreaming of this car for way too long. Wondering if there is anything in particular I should know about it?? Thanks for the help!

Thank you. I have been watching the forum for sometime and have noticed everyone treats everyone like family. Here are some of the pictures I snapped so far. (Of course I will be getting more once I drive it home Tuesday!!! Haha
20171010_132702.jpg
20171010_132633.jpg
20171010_132641.jpg

Attachments

• 20171010_132653.jpg
    20171010_132653.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks, I've been through a lot of vehicles over the years. I went back and forth a billion times in my head about getting something older or modded. I just knew with my mentality I would never be happy with anything but the fastest production vehicle gm has ever made! I grew up around enthusiasts, and mechanics and GM has always been my go to! Local dealers said if the zr1 is released they will only get 1. I did not feel like getting into a price war over that.. 650hp should be sufficient!! :Biggrin:

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Hi first off welcome to CCF. Very nice Z you bought. I've never seen this exact configuration of color, wheels and trim; so you do have a fairly unique look to your Z06. Sounds like you got a good deal for an 18 too. What is the trim level? (1,2 or 3LZ) You say Carbon in your title but from the photos yours is not the "Carbon 65" edition, or is it and I missed the decals? I see you got the carbon insert on the hood though. Cool option, I have that one too. I gather the "at" in your first post is the A8 transmission? Lots of talk on that transmission but it performs very well when you want it to, and I haven't heard any one being stranded by it.
Is this your first Corvette or if not, first Z06?
If it is......
The best thing to know right now is be careful with those tires in the cooler weather and especially wet and cold. The Pilot Super Sports are great tires but not so good cold. Use your tire temp indicator found in the performance menu accessed off the RH thumb controls on your steering wheel. That is a big help for fall driving. Above 10 C with warm tires on dry roads your car will hook up quite good but the warmer the better. The nannies on the car are your best friend this time of year. Well frankly in the C7 Z06 they are your best friend all times of the year. :Biggrin: Do not be afraid or embarrassed to use weather mode bringing it home if its a wet day as your car will be quite squirrely in Tour or Sport. (FORGET TRACK...haha)

I have owned a 2013 C6 Z06, 2015 Z06 and now have a 2017 3LZ Z06 Z07 with the M7 transmission. The C7 Z06 cars are like all Corvettes, a ton of fun and a powerful beast. The C7 Z06 however goes quite a ways beyond that and will impress you. Quickly you will feel how the power can easily get out of hand. The car handles the power so well that there is little wiggle room for going over the edge. It comes up quick...You will see....
The car has great brakes and the driving modes make it a dream for long highway trips. Touring mode makes the exhaust note tone right down, the ride very soft and smooth, and the steering very light and comfortable to hold the wheel for a long time. In town in sport mode things stiffen up and...well the fun is there. One thing is your tires are a bit noisy on the highway. (Mine too)That's just the way it is. Not terrible but on some highway surfaces quite loud... Dont worry you have a great stereo to cover that up. If your plan is to keep the car sure the extended warranty is in my opinion a good thing to have. If your plan is to trade it at some point in the next 3 years... the money is lost... however I have heard this warranty may be transferrable. Not sure about that one. Either way you seemed to have gotten a good deal on the extended warranty as well.
I would highly recommend getting XPEL and possible a ceramic coating put on your car before you take it anywhere. The front nose / mirrors for sure. On the Z06 the back quarters are especially vulnerable to debris and rocks off your front tires due to the sticky tires themselves, crappy spats and wider fender bulge in the rear. I will let some guys more local give you details on where the best place is to get that done in your area if you do not already know. I had mine done at the dealer but you will for sure get a much better price at a detail shop.

Again welcome to CCF. There are lots of us waiting to hear more details about your Z and see more pictures. That interior looks great with the red accents. I've always like that set up. :thumbs:

I hope you love your Z06 as much as I love mine. I bet you will...;)

Derek

Thank you for the very impressive and welcoming write up Derek!

I actually went to look at a used white 2016 2lz mt with z07 package. When I showed up they pulled the "typo" ad. They ended up wanting 99k for it and it had chips all over it, bald tires, burnt tailpipes and I literally told them to beat it within 5 minutes of viewing it as the ad said 91k.. I had my eye on this one I bought sitting on the lot for probably 3 months. Watching this forum I knew some people were getting 7-12% off msrp. It was a battle getting the price down as they started saying 1k off was best they could do. (First dealer I visited told me they sold above msrp and gave me a bad attitude considering I'm only 32.) I had to tell the salesman I deserved to talk to the guy making the call as it is basically the most expensive vehicle on the lot. I couldn't think of a catchy name hence the carbon in mine.. There is a carbon hood feature yes, as well as the carbon ground effects feature. The carbon 65 feature is an extra 16k feature I would like, but was not willing to buy as I was already stretching at this point. It is the 3lz trim level, with the A8 transmission yes. I'm still learning all the true corvette lingo, as yes this is my first corvette!! I was set on either this color scheme, the burgundy with beige interior, or white with black. If I were to bring in a factory order I would've went with the burgundy option, but I am just as happy with this scheme.

I really only plan on driving it home this year and parking it for the winter. I knew best chance at haggling the price down was end of season, and that was my pitch. Of course I will like to get a day or two in first because who can stand looking at such a beauty and not driving it?!?!! I know driving vehicles like this this time of year is a death trap. I had a 500hp 383 stroker in a grandprix me and my dad hand built when I was 19, then a 01 s**t stang with long tubes, x pipe, open exhaust (never again), and a 2010 cummins with tuner, dpf delete, egr delete, turbo back exhaust that my ex wrapped around a bus stop. Nothing in this performance category but I know how things can get squealy.. I am planning to drive it home on a sunny day and will make them wait for me to pick it up until then. Tuesday is looking sunny, and I am crossing my fingers!

I am glad to hear all the advice you have as an experienced corvette guy! Did you get rid of your 2015 because of the overheating issues? I was stuck on getting the Manual transmission as well, as I love rowing the gears! I have heard such good feedback on the A8 as well tho, that I am willing to give it a whirl. I am excited to try the paddle shifting. I really did not want the z07 package either when I looked at the used one and I was just gonna settle. I have heard horror stories about the 3k/each rotors. I feel standard brakes will be more than sufficient as it will see minimal tracking. Although I do live close to the raceway! I am quite excited to play around with the different modes, I really just want to hear that baby purr! Noisy tires shouldn't bother me too much and yes I cant wait to hear 10 speakers in a 2 seater! I am quite the music enthusiast as well! Although I'm sure I'll be wanting to hear that motor for a while first (glad there is some tunnels on the way home).

I have wasted so much money on vehicles over the last 13 years. My end goal is to keep this baby until the day I pass. We all know things change, but its nice to dream. And this is why I went all out getting the one I wanted. This is why I am considering the extended warranty, seeing all the gadgets and electronics. Although I do trust GM, I am sure they will get pricey come repair time 5 or 6 years down the road. I do have a friend who opened up a ceramic coating detail shop recently, funny that you mentioned that. I considered getting it, I would like to protect my investment. I've never had handouts and came from a low income family. So this was a very big purchase.

Thanks again Derek for the very warm welcome, and I will upload more pics upon pickup. Next step is building a garage! I'm getting framework for a slab made up on Saturday and starting the build!

Awesome to hear you love your Z06, makes me want mine that much more now!

Dave

Thank you for the very impressive and welcoming write up Derek!

I actually went to look at a used white 2016 2lz mt with z07 package. When I showed up they pulled the "typo" ad. They ended up wanting 99k for it and it had chips all over it, bald tires, burnt tailpipes and I literally told them to beat it within 5 minutes of viewing it as the ad said 91k.. I had my eye on this one I bought sitting on the lot for probably 3 months. Watching this forum I knew some people were getting 7-12% off msrp. It was a battle getting the price down as they started saying 1k off was best they could do. (First dealer I visited told me they sold above msrp and gave me a bad attitude considering I'm only 32.) I had to tell the salesman I deserved to talk to the guy making the call as it is basically the most expensive vehicle on the lot. I couldn't think of a catchy name hence the carbon in mine.. There is a carbon hood feature yes, as well as the carbon ground effects feature. The carbon 65 feature is an extra 16k feature I would like, but was not willing to buy as I was already stretching at this point. It is the 3lz trim level, with the A8 transmission yes. I'm still learning all the true corvette lingo, as yes this is my first corvette!! I was set on either this color scheme, the burgundy with beige interior, or white with black. If I were to bring in a factory order I would've went with the burgundy option, but I am just as happy with this scheme.

I really only plan on driving it home this year and parking it for the winter. I knew best chance at haggling the price down was end of season, and that was my pitch. Of course I will like to get a day or two in first because who can stand looking at such a beauty and not driving it?!?!! I know driving vehicles like this this time of year is a death trap. I had a 500hp 383 stroker in a grandprix me and my dad hand built when I was 19, then a 01 s**t stang with long tubes, x pipe, open exhaust (never again), and a 2010 cummins with tuner, dpf delete, egr delete, turbo back exhaust that my ex wrapped around a bus stop. Nothing in this performance category but I know how things can get squealy.. I am planning to drive it home on a sunny day and will make them wait for me to pick it up until then. Tuesday is looking sunny, and I am crossing my fingers!

I am glad to hear all the advice you have as an experienced corvette guy! Did you get rid of your 2015 because of the overheating issues? I was stuck on getting the Manual transmission as well, as I love rowing the gears! I have heard such good feedback on the A8 as well tho, that I am willing to give it a whirl. I am excited to try the paddle shifting. I really did not want the z07 package either when I looked at the used one and I was just gonna settle. I have heard horror stories about the 3k/each rotors. I feel standard brakes will be more than sufficient as it will see minimal tracking. Although I do live close to the raceway! I am quite excited to play around with the different modes, I really just want to hear that baby purr! Noisy tires shouldn't bother me too much and yes I cant wait to hear 10 speakers in a 2 seater! I am quite the music enthusiast as well! Although I'm sure I'll be wanting to hear that motor for a while first (glad there is some tunnels on the way home).

I have wasted so much money on vehicles over the last 13 years. My end goal is to keep this baby until the day I pass. We all know things change, but its nice to dream. And this is why I went all out getting the one I wanted. This is why I am considering the extended warranty, seeing all the gadgets and electronics. Although I do trust GM, I am sure they will get pricey come repair time 5 or 6 years down the road. I do have a friend who opened up a ceramic coating detail shop recently, funny that you mentioned that. I considered getting it, I would like to protect my investment. I've never had handouts and came from a low income family. So this was a very big purchase.

Thanks again Derek for the very warm welcome, and I will upload more pics upon pickup. Next step is building a garage! I'm getting framework for a slab made up on Saturday and starting the build!

Awesome to hear you love your Z06, makes me want mine that much more now!

Dave

It makes me remember how great I felt the moment I drove away in my first Corvette Dave. The next hour will be like nothing you can imagine or ever feel again. They say having kids is a great feeling.... the first Corvette is better!!! Besides you can use the Corvette to get away from the little texting monsters.
I see you have had some performance in your life so this will be even better for you as your new Z06 simply ROCKS man. Once you figure it out you will know exactly why you paid that much $ for an aluminum/plastic/carbon fiber car.
One nice thing is there is very little noise about the reliability of the tech in the C7 Corvettes. It seems to be pretty sound from the driveline/powertrain management to the body and entertainment/nav control. You will love the PDR. (Get a 64 or 128 GB SD card, format it FAT32 and you're good to go)

I'm liking the Z07 package and will deal with the brake expense when it comes. The hype over the cost is somewhat overblown as my research shows rotors are pretty robust and its unlikely they will need replacing soon for normal use and light track. Ok...i'm hoping that's true..haha
On your brakes... you will be totally sick of the brake dust from the 2nd wash on. I had them on my 15Z. The good news is...there are different pads you can put on that almost eliminate this issue. There are threads on this here and the guys will be happy to let you know which ones if you get fed up with cleaning those nice wheels twice a day and can't find the thread. :Arghh:
But I sure understand being hesitant to buy a used Corvette with Z07 as these brakes would need to be looked at very carefully first. It's good you passed on the chipped up used car and got a new one with no marks. Someone else's marks would have just bugged you endlessly. I bought 2 used Z06s which were both fine, but having the new one now is frankly awesome.
I actually never had a heating problem with my 15Z as I did not track it. It ran perfect for the normal driving and the times I opened it up for a good hard pull.
You will enjoy the different modes....once your tach releases you from the 3500 yellow line. That will suddenly change to 6000 at about 1000km. I watched mine flick up last time we went on a road trip a few couple weeks ago. Of course then.. drop a gear and go! :Biggrin:

Remember insist on Mobil 1 oil. The dealer will sometimes put in the other stuff if you do not specify. Hey its free the first 3 times.

Congratulations again
Enjoy your new Z06.

Derek

Welcome to the forum Dave.Sweet ride you have. And great advice from Derek as well. He has walked the walk for sure so knows his stuff. For sure post us some more pictures before you put that baby to bed for the winter.... Not only of your car but your smile as well... Nothing "quite compares to the 'I'm driving a Corvette' smile... especially with your first Vette .... Enjoy....

It makes me remember how great I felt the moment I drove away in my first Corvette Dave. The next hour will be like nothing you can imagine or ever feel again. They say having kids is a great feeling.... the first Corvette is better!!! Besides you can use the Corvette to get away from the little texting monsters.
I see you have had some performance in your life so this will be even better for you as your new Z06 simply ROCKS man. Once you figure it out you will know exactly why you paid that much $ for an aluminum/plastic/carbon fiber car.
One nice thing is there is very little noise about the reliability of the tech in the C7 Corvettes. It seems to be pretty sound from the driveline/powertrain management to the body and entertainment/nav control. You will love the PDR. (Get a 64 or 128 GB SD card, format it FAT32 and you're good to go)

I'm liking the Z07 package and will deal with the brake expense when it comes. The hype over the cost is somewhat overblown as my research shows rotors are pretty robust and its unlikely they will need replacing soon for normal use and light track. Ok...i'm hoping that's true..haha
On your brakes... you will be totally sick of the brake dust from the 2nd wash on. I had them on my 15Z. The good news is...there are different pads you can put on that almost eliminate this issue. There are threads on this here and the guys will be happy to let you know which ones if you get fed up with cleaning those nice wheels twice a day and can't find the thread. :Arghh:
But I sure understand being hesitant to buy a used Corvette with Z07 as these brakes would need to be looked at very carefully first. It's good you passed on the chipped up used car and got a new one with no marks. Someone else's marks would have just bugged you endlessly. I bought 2 used Z06s which were both fine, but having the new one now is frankly awesome.
I actually never had a heating problem with my 15Z as I did not track it. It ran perfect for the normal driving and the times I opened it up for a good hard pull.
You will enjoy the different modes....once your tach releases you from the 3500 yellow line. That will suddenly change to 6000 at about 1000km. I watched mine flick up last time we went on a road trip a few couple weeks ago. Of course then.. drop a gear and go! :Biggrin:

Remember insist on Mobil 1 oil. The dealer will sometimes put in the other stuff if you do not specify. Hey its free the first 3 times.

Congratulations again
Enjoy your new Z06.

Derek

I have read on here people should get up to 100k miles with the z07 rotors if its only city/ light track usage. I would have thought differently about purchasing that package new, I was just again not interested in the 9k upgrade as I am really pinching my pennies haha. My main goal was the LT4 setup! I knew if I got any other setup it would just be a matter of time before I had to have it! Glad to hear someone happy with them! Thanks for the tip with the pads. I'm sure that will bother me right away as you say! I will have to look into some pads with minimal dust!

For the amount these used cars are selling locally, I figured if I could grind them down off the msrp, it was worth purchasing new. You never know how the vehicle was driven, considering the way they are meant to be driven. It is worth knowing what you have.

Mobil 1 it is, wouldn't have thought about that either!

Thanks for all the good info Derek!
Will be posting more soon!

Dave

Reactions: ddgermann
Welcome to the forum Dave.Sweet ride you have. And great advice from Derek as well. He has walked the walk for sure so knows his stuff. For sure post us some more pictures before you put that baby to bed for the winter.... Not only of your car but your smile as well... Nothing "quite compares to the 'I'm driving a Corvette' smile... especially with your first Vette .... Enjoy....

Thank you for the welcome! I guess I don't have to feel as douchey in the forums posting pictures as I would other social media! Its cool to post with people who appreciate it, rather than would just silently hate. Lol.

Reactions: ddgermann

Eric I learned a ton of stuff here from you guys...and I still am. One of the great things about this forum is a guy can ask a question without being pounded... normally.
Dave will have a few questions I suspect. One being a good place to store the spare shorts in the new Z after he finds out just how fast that thing actually is.
I have found a couple good places to put them... :Ack2:

:Wideyed: :canada:

Eric I learned a ton of stuff here from you guys...and I still am. One of the great things about this forum is a guy can ask a question without being pounded... normally.
Dave will have a few questions I suspect. One being a good place to store the spare shorts in the new Z after he finds out just how fast that thing actually is.
I have found a couple good places to put them... :Ack2:

:Wideyed: :canada:

Thanks from, and to every member Derek. I found exactly the same thing when I first joined and that has never changed. :thumbs:

As far as the spare shorts goes, my wife would argue that it's not just the Z one requires spare shorts for.... :rolleyes:

:canada::canada:

Welcome to the Forum. Good for you withholding from jumping on a purchase without making the Dealership work for it as well.
When I entertain a current model year purchase of any GM model, my goal is at least "tax included" - in Alberta that's 5% plus the little more for tires tax, etc.
I also negotiate deeper discounts on the add-ons (3M, splash guards, protection packages) in the purchase offer - and not after (as that is what the dealer would prefer to do).
As of late, with the economy, I have been fortunate with a couple of double-digit discounts for on-the-lot inventory.
My recent purchases have been made without an extended warranty add on as I struggle to find many Corvette Owners screaming "I wish I bought the warranty ..." - although I would not blame them at all for being out there and not wanting to share in misfortune.
Knowing extended warranty is a winner for the new sales market, I have bought it only when I felt I needed the peace of mind.
It's for the same reason why I don't entertain OnStar with my credit card ... I just take what's included.
I have grown to be a consumer who is very hard to sell by scare tactics ... "a car came in the other day and OMG if the extended warranty wasn't there for them...".

It is not my intention to persuade you with my words ... as it is about your peace-of-mind with extended warranty (and on-star perpetual credit card renewals).
In the meantime ... Enjoy that Z06 ...
Oh yes I better mention that I primarily waived extended warranty and OnStar on each of my Stingrays so that I could fund the Ron Fellows School for each driver - because I do hear a lot of great things about that (and it is) - versus hearing chatter with warranty woes!
Cheers!

Thanks again everyone. I can see how people can spend a lot of time on this site!

I always remove anything branded by dealers, that is without a question. That license plate holder will definitely be the first to go!

Unfortunately in BC, we have 5% gst, 7% pst, and 3% luxury tax to total 15%. Highway robbery if you ask me! I went in hoping to get 10% off, but unless I found a 17Z in the color scheme I liked, the discount I got was probably the best anyone could achieve on a 18Z. They tried to tell me they were only making $5500 off the vehicle which I somewhat believe. I questioned why they couldn't only make $2500. My arguments were heard but at the end I feel he wasn't budging. He is willing to give me heavily discounted prices on any accessories but I'm not purchasing any right away. Onstar is not gonna be purchased. I had a new body style sierra in 07, and then an escalade in 08 and opted out on both of them. I will have to agree it is just a cash grab. Good feature if it was "free" lol...

I'm still on the fence with the warranty. I am gonna try to haggle them down to see if I can justify it. I know my escalades navigation system started acting up near the end. Its one of those murphy law things, buy it and don't need it, or don't buy it and need it...

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Reactions: YFCvii
Thanks again everyone. I can see how people can spend a lot of time on this site!

I always remove anything branded by dealers, that is without a question. That license plate holder will definitely be the first to go!

Unfortunately in BC, we have 5% gst, 7% pst, and 3% luxury tax to total 15%. Highway robbery if you ask me! I went in hoping to get 10% off, but unless I found a 17Z in the color scheme I liked, the discount I got was probably the best anyone could achieve on a 18Z. They tried to tell me they were only making $5500 off the vehicle which I somewhat believe. I questioned why they couldn't only make $2500. My arguments were heard but at the end I feel he wasn't budging. He is willing to give me heavily discounted prices on any accessories but I'm not purchasing any right away. Onstar is not gonna be purchased. I had a new body style sierra in 07, and then an escalade in 08 and opted out on both of them. I will have to agree it is just a cash grab. Good feature if it was "free" lol...

I'm still on the fence with the warranty. I am gonna try to haggle them down to see if I can justify it. I know my escalades navigation system started acting up near the end. Its one of those murphy law things, buy it and don't need it, or don't buy it and need it...

Good Fortune to you ... if you can find/have the means, do not waiver on the opportunity of the Ron Fellows Corvette Owners School.
You will find it well worth the expense and become as much of an advocate for it as I (and many others too). It especially benefits the Z06 owners whenever finding themselves having to "control" that horsepower (as opposed to using that horsepower). It is one thing to do it with other Z06's and it another when running with the Stingrays (that's what I'm in). There's no proving the horsepower because it's there ... it's all about having control of it. That's what I heard from other Z06'ers at my session last April. I'm encouraging my Wife to be there next Spring (then neither of us will tell the other how to drive - well at least on my part - lol). Cheers !

Last edited:
Reactions: 2018carbonz06
Good Fortune to you ... if you can find/have the means, do not waiver on the opportunity of the Ron Fellows Corvette Owners School.
You will find it well worth the expense and become as much of an advocate for it as I (and many others too). It especially benefits the Z06 owners whenever finding themselves having to "control" that horsepower (as opposed to using that horsepower). It is one thing to do it with other Z06's and it another when running with the Stingrays (that's what I'm in). There's no proving the horsepower because it's there ... it's all about having control of it. That's what I heard from other Z06'ers at my session last April. I'm encouraging my Wife to be there next Spring (then neither of us will tell the other how to drive - well at least on my part - lol). Cheers !

I have not heard of the school, but I will look into it next year. I still think nothing is learned better than hands on experience, but I will stay open to the idea. Thank you for the suggestion. We'll see how I feel after I get behind the wheel! Its awesome that you guys have his/hers no need to share, unless wanted to! :thumbs:

Dave your Sat radio and onstar are free off the hop so use them. 6 months I think. Just in time for expiration in the spring. Lol
Maybe you can get it deferred till spring. They are quite flexible and accommodating.
Personally I like the onstar. It is great to be able to check in with the car from the app when I’m overseas and the notifications I receive for any funny business from the sensors being set off while parked. That has been tested when my daughter sat in the Z while I went into 711. The motion detection inside caught her and I got a text message while in the store.

To each his own but my car is unsupervised for months on end so for me it is a must have. :thumbs:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.