Dec 29, 2023
VetteCoins
I go my 2024 stingray in April. I have about 7,700km on it so far so not quiet close to 12,000km

I'm thinking of storing it away for winter soon and then getting the first oil change and DCT filter change in the spring when I'm probably closer to 12,000km.

Just wondering if you guys like to change your oil in the fall or in the spring. I'm thinking my oil is good enough and last and it would probably be best to start the season with fresh oil next year.

I go my 2024 stingray in April. I have about 7,700km on it so far so not quiet close to 12,000km

I'm thinking of storing it away for winter soon and then getting the first oil change and DCT filter change in the spring when I'm probably closer to 12,000km.

Just wondering if you guys like to change your oil in the fall or in the spring. I'm thinking my oil is good enough and last and it would probably be best to start the season with fresh oil next year.
That's a cross bar. Can't lose either way. If it was me, I'd likely not bother now.

That's a cross bar. Can't lose either way. If it was me, I'd likely not bother now.
Actually thinking about it, it's still the breakin oil. Changing it now won't hurt. It can only help. Just not your pocket book. If it was a 3 year old car with 7k on the oil I would not change it. I wouldn't go so far as to call it sludge though. LOL

Reactions: Tindale
Actually thinking about it, it's still the breakin oil. Changing it now won't hurt. It can only help. Just not your pocket book. If it was a 3 year old car with 7k on the oil I would not change it. I wouldn't go so far as to call it sludge though. LOL
Probably fearmongering by someone in my past.
As the oil lubricates and circulates through the engine it picks up whatever debris and reactive chemicals that are produced by combustion as well as normal wear and tear. Some of these are on the acidic side and the idea is to change the oil before you put it to bed so that no acidic compounds are perchance sitting around on any of the bearings/bushings for whatever time frame you have in mind.
I change mine a week or two prior to bedtime. Run it a bit. Top up the fuel and put in a stabilizer. With all the crappy ethanol in fuel you really need the stabilizer as ethanol deteriorates quite fast comparatively to the actual gas. Plus it likes to suck in water vapour.
Peace of mind knowing I have done my best for the engine.

Reactions: vacek
Probably fearmongering by someone in my past.
As the oil lubricates and circulates through the engine it picks up whatever debris and reactive chemicals that are produced by combustion as well as normal wear and tear. Some of these are on the acidic side and the idea is to change the oil before you put it to bed so that no acidic compounds are perchance sitting around on any of the bearings/bushings for whatever time frame you have in mind.
I change mine a week or two prior to bedtime. Run it a bit. Top up the fuel and put in a stabilizer. With all the crappy ethanol in fuel you really need the stabilizer as ethanol deteriorates quite fast comparatively to the actual gas. Plus it likes to suck in water vapour.
Peace of mind knowing I have done my best for the engine.
That's all valid, but I'd argue (and has been proven through oil analysis) the good synthetics like M1 show little change over 7000 kims. So it's really what the owner wants. To be anal, sure change the oil. It only hurts the pocket book. Over the life of the car for the owner she/he will never see a difference. So really it's up to the owner to see what value it has.

That's all valid, but I'd argue (and has been proven through oil analysis) the good synthetics like M1 show little change over 7000 kims. So it's really what the owner wants. To be anal, sure change the oil. It only hurts the pocket book. Over the life of the car for the owner she/he will never see a difference. So really it's up to the owner to see what value it has.
Changing the oil in the autumn and letting it sit for six months (me) shows a 40% (approx) remaining oil change expectancy at start up. In other words the algorithm calculates that the oil has lost approx 60% of it's usefulness The algorithm counts time as well as mileage for oil life expectancy. So come Oct the powers that be are telling me its time to change the oil. I run it up until close to sleep time as October is not the best weather to be enjoying a 'vert. So far it has been put to bed for the end of October and I don't see anything to change my mind this year. Beautiful last weekend and now the temperature has dropped and getting regular rainy days. Just not pleasant.
So, yeah. if you change your oil in the spring, depending on your kilometrage, you'll have plenty of calculated oil life expectancy left by the end of your driving season. Putting on the K's is a lot easier on oil life than time under the cover.
You do what ever you want for peace of mind.

Changing the oil in the autumn and letting it sit for six months (me) shows a 40% (approx) remaining oil change expectancy at start up. In other words the algorithm calculates that the oil has lost approx 60% of it's usefulness The algorithm counts time as well as mileage for oil life expectancy. So come Oct the powers that be are telling me its time to change the oil. I run it up until close to sleep time as October is not the best weather to be enjoying a 'vert. So far it has been put to bed for the end of October and I don't see anything to change my mind this year. Beautiful last weekend and now the temperature has dropped and getting regular rainy days. Just not pleasant.
So, yeah. if you change your oil in the spring, depending on your kilometrage, you'll have plenty of calculated oil life expectancy left by the end of your driving season. Putting on the K's is a lot easier on oil life than time under the cover.
Just reset oil life monitor to 100% come spring, I do my first free oil change at 4000km then a second at 12000km

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
I don’t really see how fresh oil sitting in an engine in storage would degrade any faster than oil still in the can ……but like many things there may be more to it than meets the eye.

Mine in due by engine time in December and will be getting it done for the first time in the next 4-5 weeks with an estimated <6000km on it, but if it was April anniversary for the oil I would seriously probably move it to the fall.
I doubt there would be much sludge in a dry sump engine but the oil contaminants are corrosive or at used to be years ago. Metal alloys and modern oils have evolved from the old days.

Reactions: 1st Vette
My advice would be to change the oil before putting it away. Assuming you have the 3 year timeline for your 2 free service appointments, you might want to pay for the oil change and defer the DCT service until you have the 12k kms. SOME dealerships say you don't have to use the DCT service on the first free oil change, if that's the case then great you are all set.
I did my own oil change last fall on my 2023, then used my first oil change/DCT service last week. One free oil change will never get used (I got two) but that's okay by me.