I agree with 90% of the previous comments regarding key fob access when stored in your house. This is not a new issue and if you are like most people you store your key(s) on a hook or on the floor near your front door. There is a cheap, simple way to protect your fob from prying rays, that is store the keys and fobs in a metal container. I use an empty 1.36 kg coffee tin which is large enough for easy key retrieval and provides a secure screen against electronic theft. This method at least works at home but as has been identified above there are other items that can be purchased to get the information while the fob is in your jeans. I also was told that locking your car with the fob, the signal can be picked up by a bystander and then they can get access to your car while you are away. Cure for this is use the "lock" button inside the car, not the fob.

Isn't OCD grand? :Biggrin: ...
joined a group that has been here for quite some time now :Seeya:
this would not be a bad thing to buy ... along with the best that insurance can getcha.
After 5 years, no loss endorsement privilege just ran out ... not much more I do except drive it now.

Talk to your insurance guy. In Ontario you get a 19A endorsement which gives you an agreed upon replacement value. Only problem is you require a professional appraisal to get the value, plus a slight increase in premium.

I also was told that locking your car with the fob, the signal can be picked up by a bystander and then they can get access to your car while you are away. Cure for this is use the "lock" button inside the car, not the fob.
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe it depends on the fob. The C8's fob Like most other newer ones (I believe) has already agreed on the next code with the car and while it's awake it can be scanned regardless of whether you use the inside lock or not. When scanned it gets the agreed upon next code.
BTW, The garage door openers can be scanned only when used. They are never "awake"

20c8I'm not 100% on this, but I believe it depends on the fob. The C8's fob Like most other newer ones (I believe) has already agreed on the next code with the car and while it's awake it can be scanned regardless of whether you use the inside lock or not. When scanned it gets the agreed upon next code.
BTW, The garage door openers can be scanned only when used. They are never "awake"
Thank you Murray20c8 for I correcting me! Just like on most of the other upscale cars like my wife's new Lincoln, the car recognizes the fob as soon as you are near the car. Actually my C6 does the auto lock thing when walking away so maybe the fob on it is signaling as well. I should not have posted this info on the C8 forum because technology is away ahead of my old school thinking. My advice should apply to older cars - sorry. At least I have an easy storage spot in the coffee can for the Lincoln, Mustang and Corvette keys.

Reactions: Murray20c8
Talk to your insurance guy. In Ontario you get a 19A endorsement which gives you an agreed upon replacement value. Only problem is you require a professional appraisal to get the value, plus a slight increase in premium.
If you buy the car new you don't need an appraisal, your insurance company will want the BOS showing the price of the vehicle purchase for the 43 endorsement. I'm not aware of any of the popular insurance companies giving an agreed upon replacement value for a car other than speciality insurance coverage but the 43 endorsement is offered by all companies in Ontario that I'm aware of. Usually it's offered for only 2 years but on my ZR1 I got 60 month coverage on that endorsement only costs me about $100/year.

Goes to show that the "old" way of cancelling out the start circuit with a switch is probably still the best way to go. And fairly simple as well.
I'm a little squeamish playing with the C8's new electrical system but if it can be done, sounds like a good idea? Only thing we need to figure out now, is how to prevent thieves from dragging your car onto a flatbed.

I'm a little squeamish playing with the C8's new electrical system but if it can be done, sounds like a good idea? Only thing we need to figure out now, is how to prevent thieves from dragging your car onto a flatbed.
Don't know if putting a switch in line with the starter solenoid would throw a code if you forgot to "close" the circuit.
Still, if the car can't start then their only option is a flatbed.

If you buy the car new you don't need an appraisal, your insurance company will want the BOS showing the price of the vehicle purchase for the 43 endorsement. I'm not aware of any of the popular insurance companies giving an agreed upon replacement value for a car other than speciality insurance coverage but the 43 endorsement is offered by all companies in Ontario that I'm aware of. Usually it's offered for only 2 years but on my ZR1 I got 60 month coverage on that endorsement only costs me about $100/year.
I have done the 19A endorsement on my C5 and my C6. The C5 I bought private and had to get an appraisal, so that set the agreed price for insurance. When I traded the 1999 for the Pace Car it was through a dealership and the sell price became the agreed value with the 19A. Both of these were through my regular insurance carrier. Previously my 1928 pick up treet rod was appraised and insurance was through a specialty insurance company

I have done the 19A endorsement on my C5 and my C6. The C5 I bought private and had to get an appraisal, so that set the agreed price for insurance. When I traded the 1999 for the Pace Car it was through a dealership and the sell price became the agreed value with the 19A. Both of these were through my regular insurance carrier. Previously my 1928 pick up treet rod was appraised and insurance was through a specialty insurance company
Continued....... with an agreed price. Note that most specialty insurers require a vehicle to be at least 25 years old. In both my cases, with the regular 19A endorsement, the coverage continued through about six renewals. There was no renewal time limit. I am not familiar with the 43 endorsement - can you clarify for me? By the way my 2007 Indy Pace car is insured for $50,000 and the add on premium for the 19A is $50 a year.

In Ontario (and other provinces usually under some other name or # endorsement) the OPCF 43 endorsement removes the insurance company's right to deduct depreciation on your insured vehicle for a specified period of time after which if you suffer a total loss you will only get the "market" value of your vehicle. It's important on a brand new car when you buy to have this endorsement on your policy as it protects you during that period of time if you suffer a total loss.

There is still some caveats to that endorsement though as on most policies in a total loss the insurance company will still only pay you the lesser of 3 possible scenarios. More info about this endorsement here:

Like I said, if you are buying a brand new car you want this endorsement on your policy, it protects you for at least the first 2 years of ownership (or more like in my case).

I looked up the 19a endorsement and most of the sites I found mentioning this endorsement mentions collector car, speciality car, vintage car etc etc which is why I had said earlier that I thought only certain speciality car insurers offer that coverage (like Hagerty for ex.). They use to only cover vehicles over 25 years old or speciality cars (hot rods, race cars, rare sports cars etc etc) but I know they have branched out to include more modern cars if they are like not your regular run of the mill car (you probably aren't going to insure your Chevy Spark or Nissan Sentra with Hagerty for ex).

My dealings with Hagerty or any other "speciality" car insurance company looking for an agreed upon replacement value for my car(s) don't go well. I read about other people insuring their "fun summer car" (whatever it might be either old, original, modern, whatever) and I always hear "My car is insured for X # of dollars with them and it only costs me about.............................$500-700/year (arbitary #) to drive etc etc
When I inquire about my car (previous time my 09 Z06 and last year my ZR1) I tell them the replacement value I want and I was told all these restrictions when I drive it like:

Only to a car related event (cruise, car show, repairs)
No driving to work and back (I'm good with that one since I don't drive it to work but if I did the odd time...................so what???)
No driving the car and leaving it parked somewhere unattended (it was explained to me on this one like I can't go to the mall to do some shopping and leave the car parked, so basically everywhere you go eventually you're gonna have to park it somewhere but now I have to figure out where I can park it so it isn't left unattended) aahhmmm ok.
plus some other "strange" restrictions that I can't think of ATM and the premium that I would pay for the agreed coverage was stupid, basically I would pay you a crazy amount for a policy and my car just sits in the garage cause there's only a narrow window for when I'm "supposed" to be able to drive it.

My ZR1 quote insuring the car for $200k gives me a premium from Hagerty of $5000/year, from my current company (I have perfect rating) with a 5/year 43 endorsement is $1200/year and considering how little I drive the car now I still think that's a stupid amount to pay for it to sit in the garage most of the time but at least I don't have to plan my life around the event of when I drive the car like I would have to with Hagerty.

Anyways, this is long enough. Basically on a new car always get the 43 endorsement on your policy and should you go further on covering a car with an agreed value just be aware of the restrictions on when and how you drive it and decide accordingly.

Thanks for the info on the 43 endorsement. My wife's Lincoln has that no depreciation feature for I think three years. In my opinion you are absolutely right regarding a brand new car with 25% or so depreciation as soon as you leave the dealer lot.

Regarding the 19A, I was told about this endorsement over ten years ago. When I talked to the regular agent regarding some of these unusual policies they had no clue. Also I only have comprehensive (fire and theft) on my Corvette for the winter. Fees are crazy low when I change the coverage, like about $15 plus the $50 for the 19A. Now there is also a problem here that if I just talk to the regular agents they tell me I must also have the liability for a premium over over $100. I ask them how I can be responsible when the car is in a locked garage. They are not programmed to insure our type of car and just follow the rules for your Spark or Sentra. To get around this I developed a relationship a while back with the manager and I have received these proper endorsements and fees ever since by working with him. There are absolutely no restrictions with the 19A endorsement. You drive the car exactly as you would without without the endorsement except you have the peace of mind if the car gets stolen, burned up or wrecked. Suggest strongly that you discuss the 19A insurance issue with a manager or someone pretty senior to get the right answers. By the way a friend of mine is a professional appraiser and he was the one to tell me of this feature, so it must be common to most insurance carriers. Regarding how much you pay for a little driving is not the insurance companies fault. My 1999 I drove that 12,000 kilometres per summer, but the low mileage Pace car I only drive about 1,500 kilometres to keep the odometer from spinning too fast. Insurance premiums for each car was about the same.

Another thing to keep in mind with insurance is there are several factors that determine pricing. Driving record, other items insured with same company, type of vehicle and geographic location. It is not easy to compare to what your buddy is paying.

You are correct about Haggerty and the others. When I had my little truck the premium was very low but there were `dozens of restrictions. Very low kilometres, no shopping centres, no driving to work, etc., so it was a huge aggravation, but the truck was not a daily driver in the summer like the Corvette. Forget the specialty car insurance companies for your car.

By the way I have had several battles with Service Ontario (Ontario license office) because I used to pull the plates from the Corvette (remove sticker from my personal plates) for the winter. Again you have people in these centres that are not familiar with this feature and get the invoicing and credits all screwed up. Now I don't bother pulling my plates for a $45 dollar credit, so I do not recommend trying this to avoid lots of aggravation and confusion.

Hope this answers your concerns about 19A. Try talking to some one in the standard auto insurance business who really can advise you. I apologize for carrying on here but it took me a while to obtain the right answers. Good luck in your search for your own answers.

Thanks for the info on the 43 endorsement. My wife's Lincoln has that no depreciation feature for I think three years. In my opinion you are absolutely right regarding a brand new car with 25% or so depreciation as soon as you leave the dealer lot.

Regarding the 19A, I was told about this endorsement over ten years ago. When I talked to the regular agent regarding some of these unusual policies they had no clue. Also I only have comprehensive (fire and theft) on my Corvette for the winter. Fees are crazy low when I change the coverage, like about $15 plus the $50 for the 19A. Now there is also a problem here that if I just talk to the regular agents they tell me I must also have the liability for a premium over over $100. I ask them how I can be responsible when the car is in a locked garage. They are not programmed to insure our type of car and just follow the rules for your Spark or Sentra. To get around this I developed a relationship a while back with the manager and I have received these proper endorsements and fees ever since by working with him. There are absolutely no restrictions with the 19A endorsement. You drive the car exactly as you would without without the endorsement except you have the peace of mind if the car gets stolen, burned up or wrecked. Suggest strongly that you discuss the 19A insurance issue with a manager or someone pretty senior to get the right answers. By the way a friend of mine is a professional appraiser and he was the one to tell me of this feature, so it must be common to most insurance carriers. Regarding how much you pay for a little driving is not the insurance companies fault. My 1999 I drove that 12,000 kilometres per summer, but the low mileage Pace car I only drive about 1,500 kilometres to keep the odometer from spinning too fast. Insurance premiums for each car was about the same.

Another thing to keep in mind with insurance is there are several factors that determine pricing. Driving record, other items insured with same company, type of vehicle and geographic location. It is not easy to compare to what your buddy is paying.

You are correct about Haggerty and the others. When I had my little truck the premium was very low but there were `dozens of restrictions. Very low kilometres, no shopping centres, no driving to work, etc., so it was a huge aggravation, but the truck was not a daily driver in the summer like the Corvette. Forget the specialty car insurance companies for your car.

By the way I have had several battles with Service Ontario (Ontario license office) because I used to pull the plates from the Corvette (remove sticker from my personal plates) for the winter. Again you have people in these centres that are not familiar with this feature and get the invoicing and credits all screwed up. Now I don't bother pulling my plates for a $45 dollar credit, so I do not recommend trying this to avoid lots of aggravation and confusion.

Hope this answers your concerns about 19A. Try talking to some one in the standard auto insurance business who really can advise you. I apologize for carrying on here but it took me a while to obtain the right answers. Good luck in your search for your own answers.
Something else I forgot to remind you about19A is to add the tax to the appraised value.

The C8 fob sleeps. There is no way it can be copied if it's asleep. What we worry about is someone who follows either of us into a store and copies the key while we are moving around and the key is awake. A key sitting by the door is asleep unless the thief follows you home. We have faraday bags for our keys when we want / need them.
Plus if the thief has the key he doesn't need an OBD hack
You’re wrong! My C8 was stolen by exactly described above. They broke the window, plugged into the port, reprogrammed a new key and took off. Then pulled over and disabled the OnStar system in minutes. Beware they know how to steal the C8 in seconds.

• Sad
Reactions: 12cents
You’re wrong! My C8 was stolen by exactly described above. They broke the window, plugged into the port, reprogrammed a new key and took off. Then pulled over and disabled the OnStar system in minutes. Beware they know how to steal the C8 in seconds.
I'm not wrong!
Your C8 was stolen because nobody heard the alarm or you never armed it. Yes, they can break a window, climb in and use the OBD programmer. I never said they couldn't. Please make sure you read what is said before you call someone "wrong".

• Agree
Reactions: Rruuff Day
statistically most high end cars are stolen when the owner is in on it and hands over the keys, the car gets stolen, then thieves return the keys to the owner and he goes to the police and insurance with both keys saying my car was stolen by "hackers". In most cases the owners actually go out and buy/lease the car, just to have it stolen.

statistically most high end cars are stolen when the owner is in on it and hands over the keys, the car gets stolen, then thieves return the keys to the owner and he goes to the police and insurance with both keys saying my car was stolen by "hackers". In most cases the owners actually go out and buy/lease the car, just to have it stolen.
Really? I'd like to see some stats to back that up. Not saying it isn't true, but....

Reactions: 12cents
Sadly when I wrote this article, I did not include any OBD port lock info, as they were difficult to find for our C8's (more common for the higher theft models). However I still plan to install one on both the C8 & my wife's Lexus. While I do appreciate that the On-Star system offers tracking, the info stated above for the stolen C8 is the reason I do not rely on it as the primary system for tracking. I have 2 other systems on top of that (yes paranoid), one of which has a great record for recovering stolen cars (but you are unaware of the car's location only they are), and the other one an amazing paid service option with maps and geo locations and notifications. I have that system (TRACKI) on both the C8 and the wife's Lexus.

I also go old school and use a club on the steering wheel, and yes it is color matched to the car, so looks very cool once on the wheel. The idea is that the more deterrents you put in front of the thief, the more they will walk away from the theft attempt. You should not rely on a horn alarm and locked doors alone, that is just seen as a challenge and can be bypassed in seconds. Decades ago I had a show car that was so heavily protected with electronics that I once told an obnoxious guy who claimed he could steal it that if he could, I would give him the car, and put my keys down on the table in front of him. I had some crazy stuff on that car, including an electronic hood lock with a metal cable that pulled against the stock cable so you could not pop the hood to access the horn or battery, plus all the usual other stuff, but the key was the tracking, meaning the car was always recoverable.

Happy reading:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread