Sep 29, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2021 HTC
Province
NS
I have seen a couple of articles on theft of high end vehicles by plugging electronic device into the OBD port and then setting up a new key for the vehicle, which the auto thief then uses to start the vehicle and drive it away. There are OBD port locking devices for many vehicles, but I cannot find any that are specifically for Chevy or Corvette. Has anyone found a good OBD port locking device for a C8?

Link to the news article Kevin Donovan’s car was stolen from his driveway in Toronto. It was tracked to a Halifax port, bound for the Middle East

Thanks.

Wade

Last edited:
I have seen a couple of articles on theft of high end vehicles by plugging electronic device into the OBD port and then setting up a new key for the vehicle, which the auto thief then uses to start the vehicle and drive it away. There are OBD port locking devices for many vehicles, but I cannot find any that are specifically for Chevy or Corvette. Has anyone found a good OBD port locking device for a C8?

Link to the news article Kevin Donovan’s car was stolen from his driveway in Toronto. It was tracked to a Halifax port, bound for the Middle East

Thanks.

Wade
So far GM has not released the code for the OBD port on the C8 so IMHO it is highly unlikely that anyone has hacked it let alone capable of setting a new key.
Plus one requires access to the car. If it is locked then they have no access to the port. My car auto locks.

Reactions: Dik
A lot of these thefts involve mostly luxury cars and SUV's most of them you see on the news/TV are Lexus's and Toyotas.

You've seen the news stories on TV where they show security cameras at someone's house the thieves have these electronic devices they wave around your front door to pick up the signal from your fob that they then copy to another fob and that's how they get in and drive the car away.................no noise no nothing.

So as those articles say to protect yourself do some simple things......................keep your fob away from your front door or any other entrance where these losers can scan for frequencies from your fob. Keep your fob in some kind of RFID pouch or card holder that will block the signal from being transmitted for them to pick up.

My GF's Mazda CX3 fob is kept in a RFID card holder usually about 15 ft away from the front door. My ZR1 fob is in a drawer not in a RFID thing but the car is never outside in the driveway at night it's secured in my garage.

The new thing is dickheads placing tracking devices on your car so they know where the car is at any time and go for it later at their convenience.

So far GM has not released the code for the OBD port on the C8 so IMHO it is highly unlikely that anyone has hacked it let alone capable of setting a new key.
Plus one requires access to the car. If it is locked then they have no access to the port. My car auto locks.
I understood it that what the thieves do is obtain enough coded info from your FOB, to unlock the doors. Once inside they plug into OBD port and send data to the cars computer that indicates the car needs a new key fob. They then program a replacement fob and away they go. Apparently they can scan your FOB for info even if it is deep inside your house, they have the hardware and software to amplify even a very weak signal.

I understood it that what the thieves do is obtain enough coded info from your FOB, to unlock the doors. Once inside they plug into OBD port and send data to the cars computer that indicates the car needs a new key fob. They then program a replacement fob and away they go. Apparently they can scan your FOB for info even if it is deep inside your house, they have the hardware and software to amplify even a very weak signal.
The C8 fob sleeps. There is no way it can be copied if it's asleep. What we worry about is someone who follows either of us into a store and copies the key while we are moving around and the key is awake. A key sitting by the door is asleep unless the thief follows you home. We have faraday bags for our keys when we want / need them.
Plus if the thief has the key he doesn't need an OBD hack

No more accessories I already have a long list going…Jacking pucks, radiator grilles, strut covers, frunk button cover now I need the club Lol
I am all for customizing your car but the amount of aftermarket options for corvette specifically the c8 bewilder me

Copy FOB codes? This is very far down my list of concerns with any new vehicle. GMs are a very secure vehicle right out of the box.

FYI, my BiL had a new GM truck stole some time ago. Before key-less entry was a thing. No lock picker. No cat burglar. No slim-Jim. A criminal organization .... maybe?
Someone drove up to his truck that was parked on his driveway for the night. They dragged it onto a flatbed and drove away. All that was left was the skid marks on his driveway! .... Gone for ever.

I would not be surprised if an expensive car is stole this way during business hours at a restaurant or something?

Personally, I often leave my C7 top down when we go shopping or wasting time at the gym here in St. Albert.

:Cheers2: and just enjoy your beautiful car.

Reality is, I guess, that if thieves want your car, they'll get it one way or another. Maybe that's why we insure the toys.
True enough. Given the wait time to get a new C8 I want to make it difficult to steal my current C8. I have an alarm system on my house not because I think it will keep people from breaking in, only that maybe some will go to a house without an alarm system.

• Agree
Reactions: Dik and Murray20c8
I am assuming that an OBD II scanner can still read a code on the C8, so there may be communication for things not related to engine or transmission tuning (but I don't know that for sure).

I am assuming that an OBD II scanner can still read a code on the C8, so there may be communication for things not related to engine or transmission tuning (but I don't know that for sure).
Yes, you can scan the codes with the right scanner. I have 2. One just reads the standard codes (useless) and the other reads all the codes.
Good: Golvery OBD2 scanner
Bad: Nonda Zeus

• Informative
Reactions: Bucketoy
I would suggest keeping it in a garage if you have one or parking it in front of another vehicle to deny them access while at home. While out and about, I'd be storing my key in an RF blocking case. Theft is a crime of opportunity. You just have to make it more difficult to steal your vehicle than the next guy!

I would suggest keeping it in a garage if you have one or parking it in front of another vehicle to deny them access while at home. While out and about, I'd be storing my key in an RF blocking case. Theft is a crime of opportunity. You just have to make it more difficult to steal your vehicle than the next guy!
So, can anyone recommend a small RF blocking case I can slide my fob into that will fit comfortable in my jean pocket when out and about?

Isn't OCD grand? :Biggrin: ...
joined a group that has been here for quite some time now :Seeya:
this would not be a bad thing to buy ... along with the best that insurance can getcha.
After 5 years, no loss endorsement privilege just ran out ... not much more I do except drive it now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
So, can anyone recommend a small RF blocking case I can slide my fob into that will fit comfortable in my jean pocket when out and about?
I have an RF blocking case and a box for home. I bought both on Amazon. The problem with the case is that the Corvette key is already so large that the case is also fairly large and not easy to fit in jeans and walk around comfortably. That being said, there may be more pliable cases available- hard to tell on Amazon since they all look the same

• Agree
… just noticed this on my computer tonight … WOW 😳

3318044B-3D74-44A8-8D8F-C96886B833CE.jpeg

^^^^^Already mentioned up above by yours truly.

As for RFID pouches, this is available on A right now, really the variety and possibilities of pouch available to cover the RFID signal from your fob is endless...........................just takes a little searching on the net.

Amazon product ASIN B07TKDKJ34
Goes to show that the "old" way of cancelling out the start circuit with a switch is probably still the best way to go. And fairly simple as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Dik and OL Yeller
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread