Rmktim

Casual User
Jul 20, 2015
Bromhead
VetteCoins
Car
1985 C4
Was at 2016 Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale and stopped at the US corvette museum display. Had to buy a C4 tee and hat of course.anyways the guy was telling me if i joined they would do a check on my car and rank it out of 45 points. Then they would tell me what i had to do to get it perfect. So here is my dilemma, i want the car to be fun and cool to drive. Quick and just plain old bad ass. So i need to mod it, they say ooooooh you modded it that takes points away. kills the value etc. What is everyones take on this??
Thanks

Was at 2016 Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale and stopped at the US corvette museum display. Had to buy a C4 tee and hat of course.anyways the guy was telling me if i joined they would do a check on my car and rank it out of 45 points. Then they would tell me what i had to do to get it perfect. So here is my dilemma, i want the car to be fun and cool to drive. Quick and just plain old bad ass. So i need to mod it, they say ooooooh you modded it that takes points away. kills the value etc. What is everyones take on this??
Thanks
The musclecar world was going down that same road, a road that we have no interest in. You can NOT drive a true show car. They are like museum pieces kept in climate controlled storage and climate controlled trailers and only come out for a show. One stone chip and it is the end of the world. We sold our collector type cars a few years ago and bought our Corvette. It's just a nice car that we can enjoy every day of the summer. They built about 35,000 like it so it isn't rare. Even the top models will not achieve collector car value and status for a couple of decades down the road and by then, most of us won't even be around anyway. Each to their own. Perhaps I am getting old, but we will enjoy our car the way we want and judges can find some other car to judge. Obviously, a lot of people are into the show car idea and that is fine. Nothing wrong with it at all. Just not our thing.

My take is make the car yours! When I first got the Z06, I had EVERYONE telling me I was absolutely nuts taking it around the US and Canada and that would definitely affect resale value. Well of course it would; I am putting 15K miles in less than 5 months!!! I even had a salesman in the dealership where I get it serviced tell me how he would make me money on the car so I could get something much more comfortable for that drive. Absolute BEST trip we ever took!

Conversely, I selected mods and upgrades to suit my needs and one of these were a power upgrade and tune, possibly affecting my five year power train warranty which is so rare as it is. The car is yours, make it yours. If you are going to jump on the Vette circuit and have stuffy old guys judging your car for originality, well than that is something else but if not...enjoy it!

Having said all that, restoration is the best part for many and it reflects that the voyage is more important than the destination in alot of ways...if restoration is your thing, it may be a given that you look at point grading.

My car has 25,000 km on it now in less than 6 months. It will be on display with the exotics in the Intl Auto Show in Toronto in a few days! Come check us out, say hi and vote for it!

12705351_1190508440994264_1999407764019742295_n.jpg

Last edited:
My take is make the car yours! When I first got the Z06, I had EVERYONE telling me I was absolutely nuts taking it around the US and Canada and that would definitely affect resale value. Well of course it would; I am putting 15K miles in less than 5 months!!! I even had a salesman in the dealership where i get it serviced tell me how he would make me money on the car so I could get something much more comfortable for that drive.

Conversely, I selected mods and upgrades to suit my needs and one of these were a power upgrade and tune, possibly affecting my five year power train warranty which is so rare as it is. The car is yours, make it yours. If you are going to jump on the Vette circuit and have stuffy old guys judging your car for originality, well than that is something else but if not...enjoy it!

Having said all that, restoration is the best part for many and it reflects that the voyage is more important than the destination in alot of ways...if restoration is your thing, it may be a given that you look at point grading.

When we bought our '05 Corvette in 2012, it had 13,300 miles on the odometer. The guy we bought it from put about 600 miles on it in the year that he had it. He used Q-tips to clean the engine. About as close to show car as you could get. It depreciated somewhere between $2.75 and $3.00 per mile by the time that we bought it. Thank you for not using and enjoying the car. It meant that we bought a virtually brand new Corvette for well less than half of new list price. We put about 10K miles a year on the car. It is getting enjoyed the way we like to enjoy our cars.

I agree with Keith and Allflash - especially concerning C4s. Mod and drive it to suit your needs - you only live once. I mod everything I own - it's who I am, I love having personal touches on my vehicles and enjoy enhancing the cars we own to suit our needs better. I could care less about judges and originality personally, like already stated, that is for bubble wrapped cars and I would rather own a 1:18 of a car I can't drive - cheaper way to look at things you can't use ;)

I'll echo everyone here. It depends on what you want to do with your car. If you enjoy shows and want to display your car to show people what the Corvette looked like when it was new, awesome. If you enjoy driving it as it is, awesome. But if you want more performance out of it and want to tweak this or that to make it more enjoyable for you to drive but refrain because it may take away "points", I don't think it's worth it.
The other worry is once points become the ultimate goal, then the enjoyment of driving it will reduce from the stress that something might happen and if it does, you'll need stock, original parts to fix it. And if that happens, then I imagine you'd be less likely to drive it and it'll slowly become more of a piece of art than a car.

thanks guys. You all summed up what i am thinking. I like making things my own and eating a ice cream cone in the car. i was concerned i may be missing something and wanted a few second opinions before i did any changes.

thanks guys. You all summed up what i am thinking. I like making things my own and eating a ice cream cone in the car. i was concerned i may be missing something and wanted a few second opinions before i did any changes.

A word of warning about eating in the car. Mice can smell the smallest crumbs and can make your car a target in the winter time. I give our car a very thorough vacuum treatment before putting it away for the winter. I also leave poison by the garage doors as well. We bought a '69 Chevelle many years ago and it had been mouse infested at some point. Before we were done, the whole interior, including the head liner had been removed and materials either repaired or replaced and treated with deodorizer. It can get expensive.

Mmmmmmm Ice cream! Interesting subject. I hardly eat anything in the car but mostly because it's a manual.
As for being worried about modifying your car to suit your tastes, you won't find much judgment here and will more than likely find encouragement. I think the only person to stir the pot with modifications was/is Nelson. :D

A word of warning about eating in the car. Mice can smell the smallest crumbs and can make your car a target in the winter time. I give our car a very thorough vacuum treatment before putting it away for the winter. I also leave poison by the garage doors as well. We bought a '69 Chevelle many years ago and it had been mouse infested at some point. Before we were done, the whole interior, including the head liner had been removed and materials either repaired or replaced and treated with deodorizer. It can get expensive.
I hear that. Haven t eaten in the car although have carried food in it. That being said i pulled cover off last w/e and found a mouse nest on engine. cleaned it out right away. cover is now not on over the hood. hood is open. light left on in garage. heat on low etc. cat goes in and out at will. On a farm, sucks for mice. none made into car. Am pretty careful. wish there was a better way to fight them little bas#$@ds

I hear that. Haven t eaten in the car although have carried food in it. That being said i pulled cover off last w/e and found a mouse nest on engine. cleaned it out right away. cover is now not on over the hood. hood is open. light left on in garage. heat on low etc. cat goes in and out at will. On a farm, sucks for mice. none made into car. Am pretty careful. wish there was a better way to fight them little bas#$@ds

I have a couple of those electric buzzing things ( don't know what they are called) bought at Lowes that are supposed to annoy small pests. I keep them plugged in all year, and a couple of mouse traps as well.

The alternative is you can ask them micely and say please. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.