Buick Avista ...... concept .... what a sweetie ..... got the Aston Martin vibes going on a bit Never made it to showrooms

Did they think it wouldnt sell ? .... mabe because of the stigma surrounding the Buick name ? mabe its too cool to carry the Buick badge ? Not sure but ... I would buy that ;)

The Buick Avista concept was the surprise hit of the Detroit Auto Show this year. Finding out it's not intended for production was disappointing, but it's still a beautiful car. Welburn's team at Buick should be proud of that for sure.'s not intended for production was disappointing, but it's still a beautiful car. Welburn's team at Buick should be proud of that for sure.
Yes , that is a good looking vehicle. I would definitely drive it. I always thought that Buick made some pretty good cars, take the Road Master for example, fairly high end at the time. Then there was the Buick designed 3800 V6 which maxed out at 300 HP but was a very smooth sweet unit. May have been underrated, my father had a Buick with the 300 hp turbo version and it was no slouch.

Buick 3800 V6 Engine Specs

EngineBuick 3800 V6
Configuration90-Degree V6
Displacement3.2L – 4.1L (198 cid – 252 cid)
AspirationNaturally Aspirated/Turbocharged/Supercharged
ValvetrainOverhead Valve 2 Valves x Cylinder
Block/HeadCast-Iron
Compression Ratio8.0:1, 8.4:1, 8.5:1, 9.0:1, 9.4:1
Weight350-475 lbs
Horsepower90 to 300 hp
Torque (lb-ft)145 to 280 lb⋅ft
IMG_2595.jpeg

Yea we bought ... factory ordered ... the Enclave in 2009 ..... my wife drives it .... it has been to florida like 20 times ....I cant kill that thing with a sledge hammer .... I keep hoping it will die ( well sort of ) but its in mint condition and strong as a bull

The above pic is a beautiful example and I love the fact that still to this day Buick features those faux side vents in one variation or another on all their models ;)

Yes , that is a good looking vehicle. I would definitely drive it. I always thought that Buick made some pretty good cars, take the Road Master for example, fairly high end at the time. Then there was the Buick designed 3800 V6 which maxed out at 300 HP but was a very smooth sweet unit. May have been underrated, my father had a Buick with the 300 hp turbo version and it was no slouch.

Buick 3800 V6 Engine Specs

EngineBuick 3800 V6
Configuration90-Degree V6
Displacement3.2L – 4.1L (198 cid – 252 cid)
AspirationNaturally Aspirated/Turbocharged/Supercharged
ValvetrainOverhead Valve 2 Valves x Cylinder
Block/HeadCast-Iron
Compression Ratio8.0:1, 8.4:1, 8.5:1, 9.0:1, 9.4:1
Weight350-475 lbs
Horsepower90 to 300 hp
Torque (lb-ft)145 to 280 lb⋅ftView attachment 124532
Dad had a '65 Buick Wildcat, with a 401 in it. It was huge and floaty, but it rolled along quite quickly, til it blew a rod, twisted the piston and, bored the cylinder square. My brother said he "wasn't going fast."

Dad had a '65 Buick Wildcat, with a 401 in it. It was huge and floaty, but it rolled along quite quickly, til it blew a rod, twisted the piston and, bored the cylinder square. My brother said he "wasn't going fast."
So did I! Well, my dad gave it to me after I smacked it up. LOL
Edit: But 425 CI comes to mind.

Pretty sure mine didn't look like the one on Wikipedia. For one it had round valve covers, not finned.
Perhaps variations for different vehicle models, different engine configurations . Take the Chevrolet 396 big block for example. Came with 300 , 325 , 350 , 375 and 425 HP versions. With different valve covers depending on year .
IMG_2598.jpeg
IMG_2597.jpeg

Reactions: Vettenut
Perhaps variations for different vehicle models, different engine configurations . Take the Chevrolet 396 big block for example. Came with 300 , 325 , 350 , 375 and 425 HP versions. With different valve covers depending on year .View attachment 124563View attachment 124564
Excellent post ....... brings me right back to the days when I was a teenager ... you know the days when we were all punks ( with wide eyes , good hearts and even better intentions ) and didnt have 2 nickels to rub together

But we had to get that Chevelle or Impala on the road ... Every dime we made at our part time jobs at like Zellers went into fixing up that s%^t box we were working on

Pictured is my first car a 1968 Chevelle Malibu .... SS ? absolutely not ... big block? ... I wish ... it actually had the very best engine that GM ever produced

The 307 ... and this one had a really special feature ... It burned oil so bad that towns should have been evacuated when ever I drove thru

Why was it GMs best engine ? Because it was in MY Chevelle ... no other reason than that ...

If you look closely at the pic you can see the gallons of bondo and fiberglass fenders under that cheap paint job

The rallys were bought at a scrap yard ... remember the ones that they let you walk thru with your tool box to scavenge parts ?

They were so badly rusted when I got them that I spent a whole day trying to sand them to perfection ... then an alluminum colored spray bomb from Crappys and they were all bling

Man ... when we finally got that thing on the road ... and I drove it ... I was king of the world ... blue smoke and all ... oh yes

The C8 is an amazing car to drive but to me I drive it with a little to much maturity than Id like .... does it give me the same feeling as my first ? Close but no cigar .

Funny how a picture of an old engine can spark such memories and emotion ... thanks for that ;)

If any of you gents have a shot of your first car I'd love to see it

1717208661140.jpeg

Excellent post ....... brings me right back to the days when I was a teenager ... you know the days when we were all punks ( with wide eyes , good hearts and even better intentions ) and didnt have 2 nickels to rub together

But we had to get that Chevelle or Impala on the road ... Every dime we made at our part time jobs at like Zellers went into fixing up that s%^t box we were working on

Pictured is my first car a 1968 Chevelle Malibu .... SS ? absolutely not ... big block? ... I wish ... it actually had the very best engine that GM ever produced

The 307 ... and this one had a really special feature ... It burned oil so bad that towns should have been evacuated when ever I drove thru

Why was it GMs best engine ? Because it was in MY Chevelle ... no other reason than that ...

If you look closely at the pic you can see the gallons of bondo and fiberglass fenders under that cheap paint job

The rallys were bought at a scrap yard ... remember the ones that they let you walk thru with your tool box to scavenge parts ?

They were so badly rusted when I got them that I spent a whole day trying to sand them to perfection ... then an alluminum colored spray bomb from Crappys and they were all bling

Man ... when we finally got that thing on the road ... and I drove it ... I was king of the world ... blue smoke and all ... oh yes

The C8 is an amazing car to drive but to me I drive it with a little to much maturity than Id like .... does it give me the same feeling as my first ? Close but no cigar .

Funny how a picture of an old engine can spark such memories and emotion ... thanks for that ;)

View attachment 124573
:)

Reactions: Vettenut
You've all seen my Duster 340, but I bought my wife a 67 (I think) Biscayne with a 307. Good practical car. I thought the mid to late 60's Chevys were the best looking cars.

View attachment 124573
Great looking 68 Chevelle.....

View attachment 124573
Sweet looker for sure. No pictures unfortunately but a century or two ago I had the 396 SS 4 spd version in 69. Was silver with the black stripes. Then came the 340 Duster 4 spd in Aztec gold. I routinely kick myself to this day over these and your post is a reminder to kick my a$$ again... lol....
The one thing both these cars did for me was cement my love for the manual tranny. :thumbs:

I really liked this car. When I first got it I got a lot of thumbs ups.
1988 Beretta. 2.8 liter V6. About 130 hp. Which was pretty good for a v6 in that era. Was a rush hour traffic driver so it was an auto.

Beretta 1.jpg

Great looking 68 Chevelle.....

Thanks ... but the pic depicts something that looks way better than it was ;)

I inherited that from my Uncle Leonardo .... it was destined for the scrap yard .... but it was a 2 door Chevelle there was no way I would let that happen

We tried to make it look as pretty as possible for my capabilties at the time .... The floor was all gone ... new floor pan ? who the hell could afford that

Sheet metal and screws and rivets applied very crudely took care of that

But it did have 3 pedals .... unfortunately they were gas ... brake and ... emergency brake .... shifter was on the column ... bench seat

The fenders were both rotted so bad I replaced them with fiberglass ones that I cant even remember where I got them but rest assured they were " budget "

It took a buddy of mine that was an apprentice bodyman at the time like 2 days to fit them ... frame was rotted in one corner and we made up a heavy steel brace to weld in so it would pass certification ... what fun that was !

The car finally met its end when the timing chain went and all the push rods destroyed the engine ... but it was the an awesome 3 year run

This car was the inspiration in ordering the C8 in torch red

1717277489062.jpeg

1717277532307.jpeg

IMG_2606.jpeg
IMG_2605.jpeg

IMG_2545.jpeg

Superformance Is Actually Building the Shelby GR-1 Concept​

Users who are viewing this thread